TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Magnetic brakes

The first time i really noticed them was when Sheikra was under construction. Im guessing it wasnt a big deal(no announcement or anyrthing like that). Is there any earlier installation? Does anyone have any pictures showing the underside of a train showing the brake fins?

But like i mentioned before... How smooth does B&M want to get? In no way am i complaining. Im just meerly trying to find out if there is now any way to be any smoother. I mean all aspects of almost every B&M to this day are already smooth. From engaging the lift, to the already smooth friction brakes!

So i do see that they dont replace all the brakes. Is there a reason why? Maybe they are still "trying them out"? Maybe my guess is as good as anyones.

unknown9.jpg.37f5676052e8f2e31cbb1020e7398032.jpg

Here's what im talking about.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Most magnetic brakes do not stop a train, only slow it down if I can recall correctly from most of the rides I've been on that have had them. All of them have a seperate way to keep the train in the station, etc. whether it's tires like on the rocket coasters or regular old friction trim brakes.

-James Dillaman

Since magnetic brakes are almost maintenance free and fail safe, it's a wise choice for doing the hard work, that is, slowing a train. Then, once inside the station, using "traditional" braking devices (tires, friction, squeeze, whatever) works well and keeps wear and tear to a minimum.

Eric

I dont know about other B&Ms, but I know that Patriot has some magnetic brakes before the friction ones that slow the train a lot before the friction brakes take over. Like EBL said, I would guess that this cuts down on how often they have to replace the friction brake pads (is that what the're called?).

Well now that makes sense. I guess another question is, has anyone ridden a coster with the magnetic brakes, and does it have a smoother stop than traditional brakes?

I only ask because i would assume it would be smooth but also slow a little harder, as it cant be regulated. I know that they work on speed (the faster your going the harder it slows).

But like i mentioned before... How smooth does B&M want to get? In no way am i complaining. Im just meerly trying to find out if there is now any way to be any smoother. I mean all aspects of almost every B&M to this day are already smooth. From engaging the lift, to the already smooth friction brakes!

To get even smoother they'd have to figure out how to prevent "square wheel" syndrome.

Rides like Scream and Batman Knight Flight have had quite the vibrations to them. These rides can definetly NOT be considered smooth when they're not running well.

To get even smoother they'd have to figure out how to prevent "square wheel" syndrome.

Rides like Scream and Batman Knight Flight have had quite the vibrations to them. These rides can definetly NOT be considered smooth when they're not running well.

The Incredible Hulk does this too, even worse than Scream. It makes the middle part of the ride horrible.

I thought it was to do with the rubber of the wheels developing flat spots where the train had been parked for extended periods.

Say if, only one train was being used for a few months during the empty season, the other would sit on it's load wheels and exert a constant pressure on one side of them. I'm fairly certain that would cause them to deform and then run with an annoying vibration later.

As for magnetic brakes- those are pure genius.

Hopefully they wont become a popular option for trim brakes though.

A park unwilling to invest and maintain mechanical trim brakes might finally be convinced to install simple magnetic ones.

The Incredible Hulk does this too, even worse than Scream. It makes the middle part of the ride horrible.

I thought it was to do with the rubber of the wheels developing flat spots where the train had been parked for extended periods.

What?

There's no rubber on the wheels, and being parked for extended periods doesn't cause flat spots. It's just the B&M shuffle -- similar to the Intamin shuffle.

I like the magnetic brakes, but I've only been on Silver Bullet. They're smooth and powerful, but they're cool. I'm sure B&M's using them for the reasons EBL said.

Think about it. Before magnetic brakes, a train would slam into the brakes at the end of the ride. Those first few brakes would take the brunt of the force, and they'd need to be replaced more often than the brakes at the end of the brake run.

The magnetic brakes slow the train enough so less force isn't applied to the beginning brakes. That means less maintenance, which leads to less money spent.

Edit: Anyone want to make a list of the B&M coasters with magnetic brakes?

• Silver Star (the first B&M to use magnetic brakes)
  • Nitro
  • Tatsu
  • Patriot
  • Silver Bullet
  • Black Mamba (?)
  • Nemesis Inferno (?)
  • Dah. What else?

That's odd- the only Beemer I've ridden with magnetic brakes was Shiekra. The brakes didn't seem that powerful, but once you hit the friction brakes, there was quite a jolt. The magnetic brakes was smooth and gradual, not powerful like the brakes on the Superman coaster at Darien Lake. Then further down the final brake run was the friction brakes which would give you a whiplash.

All I have to say to truely feel the effects of the MAG brakes on a B&M ride Goliath in SFoG in the last row then OUCH!!

The funniest thing was learning that Walter Bolliger admitted to a fellow member in here on media day that they screwed that ending up.

Proof that nobody's perfect.

I love the mag brakes make the fun ride better by not slamming to a stop!!! Nitro uses them for its brunt work... And i know El Toro is an intamin but el toro uses its magnetic brakes for holding as well i think they are the best thing to happen to the coaster world since B&M came up with the idea to make the upstop wheels gap free... unlike Arrow and Vekoma!!!

For some reason the Mag brakes on B&M's make me feel sick. I think they slow you down too fast.

I think it's the same for all magnetic braking. The Jackrabbit and Phantom's Revenge both use magnetic braking and I got to be honest and say that I miss the old sleds for the Jackrabbit and the brake fins for the Phantom because they do brake way too hard for comfort.

has anyone ridden a coster with the magnetic brakes, and does it have a smoother stop than traditional brakes?

Well, it wasn't a B&M coaster but Magnus Colossus uses magnetic brakes and it slowed the train down very quietly and smoothly. I wouldn't say that it was in any way uncomfortable.

It's funny that that the only part of the ride that can be considered smooth is the brakes. It's really strange the way you go from slam - slam - slam to B&M smoothness. If the rest of the coaster had been built as well as the brake run, it would have been a great coaster. But then again what do you expect from RCCA?

I've probably been on some B&Ms that use magnetic brakes but never noticed them as I had only heard of them being used on Patriot

For some reason the Mag brakes on B&M's make me feel sick. I think they slow you down too fast.

I think it's the same for all magnetic braking. The Jackrabbit and Phantom's Revenge both use magnetic braking and I got to be honest and say that I miss the old sleds for the Jackrabbit and the brake fins for the Phantom because they do brake way too hard for comfort.

Without the newer brakes, the train would slam into the back of the train in the station.

I like the mags, they make a cool sound

I can't believe someone considers the Hulk to be rough, heck I don't think Scream is all that bad either, not with rides like Viper and X in the same park (both of which I also tolerate pretty well)

I thought Scream! was one of the more ridable coasters at Magic Mountain. Both Scream! and Hulk had rattle when I rode them, but were not rough. Oddly enough, Riddler's beat me up the most of all the SFMM coasters. I had an awful neck ache for the rest of the day after one lap on that.

I noticed that 3 of the 4 SFMM B&Ms rattle. Tatsu was the only one that didn't, but it's the newest. I wonder if this is more because of poor maintenance than design or manufacturing defects.