TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's Your REAL Job, Robb?

Nemmy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you didn't ask me, but I have an idea as well because my brother is interested in this field. Believe it or not, being active in the online mod and gaming communities is a good start. It's kind of a way to build up a portfolio without ever working for a game company. Next up, try to get in as a "tester". You're starting out at the bottom, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Also, you have to be more specific..what exactly would you like to do in the games business? There are roles in pretty much every normal aspect, as well as managing, building, scripting, programming, art, etc.

There are also several colleges that now also offer programs in Gaming. Fulsail comes to mind.

I'm sure Robb will help more later!

Elissa "married to a gamer!" Alvey

Dont forget Robb's products are also being sold at Burger King right now in happy meals

CoasterCrazy, the gaming industry is a good start, I know the forum wasn't addressed to me, but I'm going to college next year for computer graphics and game design, possibly to go work for some company like Atari or something.

If I dont end up in that field ill end off going to another computer technician field of some sort, theres so many things to do when you take a course through college on computering, its amazing

-Justin

I used to work in games, so I'll add some stuff. Elissa is right, get invovled in the modding community. It's stuff you can show off, especially if your mod gets finished.

If you want to be an artist, I'm not sure that majoring in Computer Graphics is a good idea. I think you can teach yourself almost as much by purchasing a decent 3D program and learning on your own. It depends on how motivated you are, of course. If you're interested in the computer graphics end of gaming at all, I advise you to hang out and read over at http://www.cgtalk.com. Especially read the various discussions about all the schools and programs out there, as the place is packed with people that work in the CG industry and you can pick up a ton of pointers about schools and programs there.

Getting into a company can be hard. You may have to take a testing or tech support job to get in. You'll make crap money and the job will likely drive you mad, but if you do decent work and can stick it out, you'll usually have a chance to move on. That's how I ended up in marketing.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. Any other questions, ask away...

dt

Believe it or not, being active in the online mod and gaming communities is a good start. It's kind of a way to build up a portfolio without ever working for a game company. Next up, try to get in as a "tester". You're starting out at the bottom, but sometimes that's what you have to do.

Do you mean online gaming communities like Gamespy and ign?

Also, you have to be more specific..what exactly would you like to do in the games business? There are roles in pretty much every normal aspect, as well as managing, building, scripting, programming, art, etc.

I'm looking into managing, programming, and game production.

Just out of curiosity Rob what sort of things did you have to do to get involved in the game industry and move up to where you are. I'd love to hear some of the stories. Well all the ones that don't involve late nights and poor choices of activities (yeah preferably nothing too specific on those sort of things...).

ACTUALLY...

I work for the Special Olympics here in Santa Clarita. It's really awesome...keep an eye out cause I'll be posting something cool about it soon!

Elissa "best job ever!" Alvey

I have done that as well when I worked with Mentality Handicapped children in the past. Some of the best times I have ever had!!

ACTUALLY...

I work for the Special Olympics here in Santa Clarita. It's really awesome...keep an eye out cause I'll be posting something cool about it soon!

Elissa "best job ever!" Alvey

"I work with retards. I don't know what I'd do without those crazy bastards!"

Rastus O'Ginga