1. 1. Goliath or Expedition Geforce?

• Goliath (Walibi World, Netherlands)
    • Expedtion Geforce

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt - Goliath!

I was ridden both rides the first time in 2003 and had a good comparision.

I´m generally not the biggest hypercoaster-fan, but in my eyes EGF is much overrated. I hate trimbrakes - and EGF´s ones are very bad!

The first drop is awesome, but the rest.....

I don´t really know why Goliath is better in my eyes...Goliath is a good ride and EGF is just ok.

That was already my opinion after riding EGF the first time!

What's up with all the trimbrake-bashers ? EGF is like non-stop speed, even with the unnoticable trims.

Goliath on the otherhand has the slowest bückels and if it weren't for the ground-hugging helixes, there would be no speed at all.

I like it's setting/location, I like the colors, I like the first hill and I like the Stengel dive. But right after that element, the fun is gone. It loses it's speed and the lay-out is uninspired. The ground-hugging final curve is a decent finale, but it doesn't make me forget the boring "middle-half".

Overall, the ride is mediocre at best. A 6/10 maybe.

Goliath is the best of the two!

Just like Janster (and some others) I'm really allergic to "trim-brakes". But what is it with the first drop on EGF? Why do most of you like that element? There is a twist in it, that doesn't make it really smooth.

Then again: this twist is better than the one on the Pepsi Max Big One in Blackpool Pleasure Beach...

Then again: this twist is better than the one on the Pepsi Max Big One in Blackpool Pleasure Beach...

Oh yeah, that one was a painful experience. I thought that was more like a turn then a twist though. The EGF twist is way smoother.

I think that the EGF first drop is quite short as well. After the twist the train immediately has to travel to an upright position again, otherwise the positive G-forces at the bottom of the hill are getting to heavy. This is a general problem with very steep drops (Oblivion tackles this problem by using very short trains and in Deja Vu or Stuntfall the trains are already in vertical position at the start of the free fall).

What's up with all the trimbrake-bashers ? EGF is like non-stop speed, even with the unnoticable trims.

Goliath on the otherhand has the slowest bückels and if it weren't for the ground-hugging helixes, there would be no speed at all.

I like it's setting/location, I like the colors, I like the first hill and I like the Stengel dive. But right after that element, the fun is gone. It loses it's speed and the lay-out is uninspired. The ground-hugging final curve is a decent finale, but it doesn't make me forget the boring "middle-half".

Overall, the ride is mediocre at best. A 6/10 maybe.

Well, Golath does at least get near the ground, can't realy say that of EGF. And sowhat that G has the slowest buckel? Its at a good speed, and its off the ground pretty high. You forget that goliath is only 46M high, so what do you expect. Btw. have you ever ridden Golaith? Cuss the negatives on the last 3 hills are awsome.

And why is the lay-out un-inspired? I mean, that its doesn't go up all the time doesn't mean its un-inspired. Its a speed coaster, the setting is awsome, the airtime on the 4 airtime hills is great, and the stengel dive is the best non-inversion thingy ever.

If give Golaith a 6/10 then you realy need some decent therapy....

I rode both a couple of years back. For me, EGF is like PMBO should have been but more compact. I did "feel" the mid-course brake & it did take something away from the ride for me. Goliath on the other hand reminded me of S:RoS (SFNE) in miniature! Personally I thought it had better AIRtime than EGF. Anyway, EGF is good but I prefer Goliath.

(...) Goliath on the other hand reminded me of S:RoS (SFNE) in miniature! Personally I thought it had better AIRtime than EGF. Anyway, EGF is good but I prefer Goliath.

That's a huge compliment for the Goliath, isn't it? The author from the "Roller Coaster Lover's Companion" thinks S:RoS (SFNE) is the best ever...

(...) Goliath on the other hand reminded me of S:RoS (SFNE) in miniature! Personally I thought it had better AIRtime than EGF. Anyway, EGF is good but I prefer Goliath.

That's a huge compliment for the Goliath, isn't it? The author from the "Roller Coaster Lover's Companion" thinks S:RoS (SFNE) is the best ever...

Well, I didn't actually say it was as good .... but it is reminiscent of (possibly) the best lump of steel on the (daily) planet!!

Whilist I can't give an honest opinion on which I prefer (Haven't done GeForce yet) I do have one big complaint about Goliath.

Why have they hidden it away in a corner of the park instead of giving it more prominence? And even then building another connecting path to it would make it more accesible. It's a great ride, so let people get to it!

Why have they hidden it away in a corner of the park instead of giving it more prominence?

So that those of us who managed to go there during their New Years Eve in Summer celebration last year got double rides at night with virtually no queues!!!

OMFG. That really was one of THE best ever days I have had in a theme park and all becuase we were doing several Walibi parks and had Season Passes. It turned out that we were entitled to FREE food, FREE drink, the park was open till midnight and we all had loads of double ride tickets!

(Note to self. Dig out notes and write the frigging TR.)

Why does your poll include the location of Goliath but not the one of EGF?

Anyway I don't think you can compare the 2 coasters with each other. Both are different and the only thing they have in common is that they are built by Intamin and considered Mini-hypers.

^Because their are about 10 Goliath's in the coaster world but only one EGF.

How much more similar would they need to be if they are both mini hypers. We are always comparing hypers in the US no matter if they have some differences. Its not like one has loops or something.

Why does your poll include the location of Goliath but not the one of EGF?

Anyway I don't think you can compare the 2 coasters with each other. Both are different and the only thing they have in common is that they are built by Intamin and considered Mini-hypers.

Indeed coaster05, there are a lot of Goliaths, but only one EGF.

These coasters can be compared, why not? Approximately the same hight, speed and length (I didn't feel the differences in speed and hight, I only knew the differences from RCDB). One has a steeper (but shorter!) drop with a twist, the other has more positive G's, etc... But differences are small. The coasters are 400 miles apart from each other, so there is a big chance that TPR coasterfans who have done Goliath, also rode EGF. Yes Nemesisflyer, ideal conditions for a comparison.

• 6 years later...

Expedition GeForce hates me: 2010 a wheel falls off just before I head to Europe. In 2012 finally get a ride and on my third lap it breaks down and I have to be evac'd. I so desperately want to love EGF, but it won't love me back (now please read disclaimer at bottom of the web page).

In all seriousness, my vote goes to EGF because it has more airtime and I love the forest setting, but in saying that Goliath is also an excellent coaster that would be in many well-travelled enthusiast's top ten. Both are jewels in Intamin's crown along with SFNE Bizarro.

Goliath is a great ride, but GeForce has a distinct edge, especially when it comes to airtime. I also prefer GeForce's rather "eccentric" layout to Goliath's, which is more "traditional."

Can't vote because I haven't been on either one. I find it interesting that a person creates an account with the name Expedition Geforce and his only post is to bump this 5 year old thread.