TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skate Boarding in Gym?

Jayjay719

I was watching the news tonight and it said that skate boarding is a program used in some high school gym class in some city in New York. They have ramps and provide the skate boards, as well as knee pads and helmuts. I wish we had this program in my high school gym class. The program used is for students that do not want to play sports, they can skate and get graded. They have to learn to fall, and I think its pretty interesting. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, I would have done it. Skateboarding was fun when I did it long ago, but I never was able to get anywhere near good at it.

It makes sense that this is incorporated into physical ed. though, I know many kids will take heart to this and get much more out of their gym classes.

It kinda leaves them open to a lawsuit if something happens... but I guess that's true with everything. Still, I remember when schools everywhere cracked down on dodge-ball.

I think that’s pretty cool, I wish my gym class had that option when I was in school. While I’m not very good at skateboarding though, tried it a few times for fun and yeah I just gave up. If I was getting graded on it it prolly would have been a different story, I would of got more into it because I had to.

Awesome, I would have done it. Skateboarding was fun when I did it long ago, but I never was able to get anywhere near good at it.

It makes sense that this is incorporated into physical ed. though, I know many kids will take heart to this and get much more out of their gym classes.

It kinda leaves them open to a lawsuit if something happens... but I guess that's true with everything. Still, I remember when schools everywhere cracked down on dodge-ball.

The news said that they have had only one serious inury which was a broken ankle. But yeah you can hurt yourself just walking....like me lol.

Oh, I could picture the lawsuits now

"Norwalk High School Student has filed a lawsuit with the Board of Education, claiming he broke his arm in gym when he fell off his skateboard, and now can't write properly"

The student claimed "Durh! I needz to be gettin me some money yo. I gotta lowah the car my moms bought me"

^ Yeah but the program used is an option. You don't have to skate board, you can do whatever your options are.

Which would be to run until you throw up.

To be honest, I think PE just needs to be taken away. It brings the GPA down for people who aren't athletic. Yeah, our kids are going to get fat but really, if a parent cares enough the kid won't get fat. Thus, we weed out the stupid ones.

The problem with PE is that it can be very inconsistient when it comes to grades. My PE teacher, this year, graded us in our Bowling unit (I'm in "Life Sports" where we do bowling and billiards and whatnot) like this. He bowled a game, and got 150. If we got a 140, we got 100 percent, 130 a 90 percent, and so on. I bowled a 70 and almost failed the class. My teacher last year graded us in our basketball unit based on how hard we tried to get the ball in the basket (ie, if we tried to do all the moves).