TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Army Draft?

^^You actually served, which is probably more than the people who questioned your bravery and patriotism have done. Many of those who sent our troops off to war spent much of their time dodging service--and later smearing the good names of their opponents who did serve.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh Canada! Our home and native land! True patriot love, in all our sons command! With glowing hearts we see the rise! The true north strong and free, God keep our land glorious and free. Oh Canada! We stand on guard for thee! Oh Canada! We stand on guard for thee!

PS – The majority of my unit that went to Afghanistan for two years went on to Iraq for two more years. That's four consecutive years of active duty! All of them lost their civilian jobs, and many of their families had to go on welfare because the military pay was half of their civilian pay!

That's just awful. I thought it was illegal to fire someone for serving in the military.

Hi, Cananada. Wo ist deine bagged milch?

I doubt the draft will get reinstated, what with all the opposition.

Lol, what?!?

What's wrong with bag's of milk?

German for "Where is the [bagged] milk?" It's a joke; the half-language of Canada is French, not German, and bagged milk is freakin' awesome.

Hi, Cananada. Wo ist deine bagged milch?

I doubt the draft will get reinstated, what with all the opposition.

Lol, what?!?

What's wrong with bag's of milk?

German for "Where is the [bagged] milk?" It's a joke; the half-language of Canada is French, not German, and bagged milk is freakin' awesome.

I don't understand German OR French so I never would've gotten the joke either way.

That's just awful. I thought it was illegal to fire someone for serving in the military.

The law says something to the effect that employers are obligated to either hold the person's position open or offer the person a similar position when they return. I don't know the exact time frame, but I believe this obligation is only for six months, maybe a year max. So when someone gets recalled for four years, the employer is under no obligation, or law, to hold their job.

What is illegal is for an employer to either penalize someone for leaving or not let them serve. For example – when it comes time for the annual two week obligation, an employer can not charge the employee two weeks vacation pay, or say no.

Yes, this sucks, and is a major deterrent to joining the reserves (or guard). There has been talk of reforming the laws, but major corporations have been fighting the change. Keeping someone's job open for a few years is not in the best interest of the corporation!

Another interesting factoid concerns pay differential while on active duty – the difference between what someone makes as civilian and what they make on active duty. Every employer is different, and they are not bound to any laws. Some employers will pay the differential so there is no loss in pay, some employers do not pay the difference, and a few employers keep the person's pay unchanged. Once again, there is a time limit, and it's usually six months. The employers I have worked for paid me the differential while I was on my two week active duty obligation, so I never lost any money. Which was a good thing because my active duty military pay was about 75% of my civilian pay. And I have known a few reservists whose employer kept their civilian pay unchanged – talk about raking in the money!

Hope this helps!