TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Army Draft?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^My only point was to encourage students to actively pursue their education. You will have so many more options open to you if you go to College or Trade School Etc.. vs. finishing High School and getting a low paying job at your local Wal-Mart.

Besides, I don't believe there is any real chance of reviving the draft.

Id Go...I know its a scary thought (Ryan In The Army). Id probably end up "Duding" the Enemy.

Yeah, but Jahan, let's be honest...they're going to draft Ryan long before they draft you!

DIE! But, youre right, AGAIN!!!

But on a serious note, as I said, I would serve. Im not afraid of war, at least not yet. If I die, ill die serving a cause I believe in and serving my country.

-Ryan

Army.jpg.a9361bbb4b42fbe982caa7ee9bf9c3e8.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Robb :)

I'd go...in fact i would have gone already but for a bad eye...and a draft would help them overlook such a shortcoming...let me tell a little story that a good friend of mine that serves posted.

Today I got home from drill, and started walking in from the parking lot, still dressed in uniform. I saw my neighbor lady struggling with a big box, trying to take it inside from her car. Some kind of big plastic toy ridy thing thing for her kid. Being the nice guy that I am, I lifted it and helped her take it upstairs onto her porch. She tells me thanks and begins to go inside, I turn around and head for my apartment.

Then the door opened. Apparently her degenerate boyfriend, typical young gangsterish male, dressed in a stained wife-beater and sweatpants atsks her what she bought, in a less than respectful tone. She tells him its for thier kid, and that I helped her carry the damn thing. He tells her that he was inside watching the football game and asks her why she didn't bring any food home. Two kids spilled out of the door, curious about the new box.

"Ay, don't you live over there? The new guy?" he barked at me.

"Yeah," as I turn around, "was just coming home from work and helped her with that box."

"Whats with the uniform? You in the army or sumpthin dude?"

"Yeah. Just the reserve for now, used to be active."

He looked at me and smiled. "Why would you do something stupid like that? Doin all that (Explitive)"stuff" for nothing."

I felt the coldest expression I have ever gave another person spread across my face as I looked at him, felt my pulse begin to rise. "I do it so people like you can sit on thier couch and waste thier lives. I do it so you don't have to. I do it so your kids can have a choice for thier future."

Disgusted, I walked away.

We have the draft here.

I'm being drafted a little under two months after my 18th birthday and a couple weeks after the Midwest trip.

Yes, I will be spending what should be the finest year of my life partially in boot camp, partially in some deserted hellhole base doing something boring, and partially trying to find a way to get the heck out.

In other words: Draft=Sucks and I hope it doesn't get reinstated in the US

Well such a draft requieres many resources that the army doesn't have at moment but the possibilty is there. I don't think the army will need all people at the age of 18 so maybe it will be possible not to do it under all kind of excuses.

I live in Israel and here its 3 years for boys and 2 for girls. I think many of you might like it, but I am pretty sure many of you will hate every single moment.

I just hope for you it will never happen.

You wanna live in the US and mooch off the system? Try defending it first.

Why not extend that to anyone collecting unemployment from the government? The military always has job openings.

I'm not sure if you understand the nature of unemployment. It's not charity. It's insurance. You pay for it! When you work part of the tax you pay goes towards unemployment.

I'm not a fan of Ayn Rand, but her thoughts on conscription exactly match mine.

Of all the statist violations of individual rights in a mixed economy, the military draft is the worst.... It negates man's fundamental right -- the right to life -- and establishes the fundamental principle of statism: that a man's life belongs to the state, and the state may claim it by compelling him to sacrifice it in battle. Once that principle is accepted, the rest is only a matter of time.

I'm not sure if you understand the nature of unemployment. It's not charity. It's insurance. You pay for it! When you work part of the tax you pay goes towards unemployment.

Of course I do, but it, much like "corporate" taxes, should be done away with. It would help salaries rise. Plus you get rid of unemployment and people are less likely to waste resources.

Though I do think can be 'charity'. I know my ex girlfriend used to work a seasonal job where her 3 months off in the winter, she was able to collect unemployment even though she was entirely able to work... talk about an easy grand a month, what a load.

Of course I do, but it, much like "corporate" taxes, should be done away with. It would help salaries rise. Plus you get rid of unemployment and people are less likely to waste resources.

Well that's another issue. I just wanted to clarify that collecting unemployment doesn't necessarily denote you as a scumbag. I collected it for about 6 months in late 99 through early 2000. Nobody would hire IT people in late 99 due to the y2k issue. No new projects. Everyone had a wait and see attitude. I've now had the same job for 7 years, and have more than paid back whatever I collected. I didn't feel in the least bit bad about collecting money from a system that I had paid into. I was getting my money back!

^ Ah, but see you paid into it! How many out there are just collecting a check? I think Joe is talking about the riff raff that aren't helping themselves, and are fine feeding of the rest of us.

In Ohio that would be pretty hard to do. You have to have worked at a job for 3 months AND be laid off in order to collect unemployment for a maximum of six months. It would be a lot easier to just go get welfare.

You KNOW there are people who operate like that. I've known a couple to get a job for half a year and then take their six months of unemployment. But this thread is about the draft for the military which can always use some help, especially now. Unemployed? The army will employ you and usually give you a decent signing bonus, not to mention food and housing and other assistance.

You KNOW there are people who operate like that. I've known a couple to get a job for half a year and then take their six months of unemployment. But this thread is about the draft for the military which can always use some help, especially now. Unemployed? The army will employ you and usually give you a decent signing bonus, not to mention food and housing and other assistance.

As a voluntary program, why not.

I'm premed, and will probably be attending medical school next year. I briefly considered doing an Air Force scholarship. They'll pay for your entire education if you commit to 4 years of working for them. I decided against it. It probably would have costed me a ton of money, as the Air Force doesn't pay anywhere near what private practice does. And there's always the chance that they could force you into a residency of their choosing. No thanks!

Yeah, that's about the size of it. Actually, it's possible that they could force you into a specialty that you don't even want to be in. They claim that they don't, but I don't believe this. If they need X number of pathologists per year and they don't make that number, some people could get moved.

I'm getting kinda a late start in this. 4 years of not making private sector pay could seriously affect my retirement. Being able to retire before I'm 85 sure would be nice.

I don't appreciate the draft and I don't want to be a part of it. We got plenty of people volunteering. The reason why the draft was ever presented is beyond me. What we need to do is not get the troops pulled out. We got them backed up to their turf. If those soldiers are gone then not only are we defenseless but the violence will not end.

Here's my POV –

I was in my sixth year as a Reservist after having four years on active duty. I was five months away from getting married, and considering leaving the military. The reserves stopped being a one weekend a month gig – I was spending more and more of my free time between drill weekends doing work for the next drill weekend. I also had a new civilian job that was requiring a lot of extra work. It was becoming difficult to juggle two careers, plus a pending wedding.

I went to my Commanding Officer in April, and explained the situation. He was very understanding and supportive. He suggested that I take a six month leave of absence so I could get married, go on my honeymoon, and reconsider. I agreed with him that this was a good idea. He also started the paperwork process for my departure in case that was my decision at the end of my leave of absence.

August was my last drill weekend, and my leave of absence started on September 1st, 2001, three weeks before my wedding. And then 9/11 happened.

Within a week of 9/11, 75% of my unit was recalled for a two year tour in Afghanistan. Prior to taking my leave of absence, I was at the top of the recall list. My leave of absence put me at the bottom. Had I not taken that leave of absence, my wedding (and honeymoon) would have been cancelled.

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to leave the military – my new family had to come first. My choice. Because my Commanding Officer started my paperwork in April, my request was approved.

In the weeks after making my decision, many people came to me asked why I was running away when our country was just attacked. Some even called me a coward. My only response was, "I've served my country for ten years – how long have you served?"

For those of you out there who do not wish to join the military, I respect your choice. It's a hard one to make, especially with today's political climate. And that's my point in all of this – institute the draft, and you take away the choice. That's one of things that makes this country great – the freedom to make our own choices.

John "Go Navy!" Hamilton

PS – The majority of my unit that went to Afghanistan for two years went on to Iraq for two more years. That's four consecutive years of active duty! All of them lost their civilian jobs, and many of their families had to go on welfare because the military pay was half of their civilian pay!