TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New coaster webcomic

I guess I just don't find them funny. And while, I don't think all of FLIPDUDE's are LOL funny either he really DOES add a great personality to the characters which makes his comics very enjoyable to me.

I mean, between the "Vekoma Cooties" and the Starbucks being "plopped" down on SFMM, there really is a lot of thought put into his comics.

Sorry, I didn't mean to put down FlipDude's. They're amusing, but I have a feeling I just don't get some of the inside jokes. And honestly, he was like the originator of the genre. I guess I just don't understand why it has become a thing on here to always put down other sites' content.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's kind of the point. It's satire.

Do you know the definition of satire? If you want a good example of satire, read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell or watch the Manbearpig epsiode of South Park... THAT'S satire...

Perhaps I should try to look beyond the amazing artwork that matches a 9 year old retarded kid's scribblings on a placemat at a Chili's.

Ooh! What kind of sauce do you like on your Babyback Ribs? I like the Honey BBQ

Never has this acronym been used in a manner of barbecue for real... OMGWTFBBQ!

I guess I just don't understand why it has become a thing on here to always put down other sites' content.

Where do you see that happening? We do a lot with other sites to promote them! Rideworld, In the Loop, Westcoaster, Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll, Coasterfanatics, RCDB, ECC, etc.... If anything I think we're one of the better sites when it comes to dealing with other sites. I would like to know what you mean by that, because I don't often see anyone here putting down other site's content.

But at the end of the day, you're going to have an opinion of stuff....and that "stuff" is usually found on TV, Movies, Video Games, Websites.

Has nothing to do with me or anyone else "putting down" a site because we think we're better, it's just because I have an opinion. I think the comics are garbage. I could care less who's they are!

--Robb "The only site I can think of that we really don't like is CoasterBuzz." Alvey

Let me start by saying that I can't draw, nor do I have any idea how to run a website. However that does not eliminate me from being able to voice my opinion. These comics are poorly done and not funny. That is my opinion and or criticism.

Now for my rant. Why has it become unacceptable to not like something. If you stick your body of work in front of people it will never be universally accepted. This goes for any realm. As a teacher I speak in front of kids a thousand times a year and I doubt if my students have ever 100% agreed on what I was presenting. To be honest I hope they haven't. I hope they are saying why is this important, or couldn't he have taught us the easier way. Do I look at these students and get mad. No I listen to them and adapt what I have done for my next group of students. If this person was serious about their comic they would want to hear both sides. If not then don't display them.

If anything I think we're one of the better sites when it comes to dealing with other sites. I would like to know what you mean by that, because I don't see anyone here putting down other site's content.

Complete crap. I can draw better comics with my butt cheeks.

That's encouragement?

--Robb "The only site I can think of that we really don't like is CoasterBuzz." Alvey

Then be careful. The people around here seem to act a little more like the idiots over there every day. This looks terribly similar to the newb bashing that happens at CoasterBuzz.

^ its not newb bashing. People are bashing the work because it is pretty much crap. I could sit and think for 5 minutes and come up with something just as good, and take another 5 minutes and draw a cartoon on the same level of crap as this.

Where as with Flipdude's cartoons, even though it may not take him that long to come up with a concept, he has back story to his characters which makes them likeable, and the actual quality of the art is probably the biggest factor. Although its his flash animation which are by far his best work because they have some genuine lol moments not to mention that the quality is there, as well.

I agree with Rich....and yeah, let's go back to the original post, shall we?

Hey, check out my friend's funny new webcomic.

www.coastertools.com

That it....that's ALL that was said....no further information....no disclaimer....no description....NOTHING! If anything, it came off like more of a "spam" post than anything else.

Had it been more like......

Hey everyone,

I want to share with you guys some comics a friend of mine is working on. He's not an "artist" but the humor in them more than makes up for it. You can see there's some inspiration behind some of the more popular "stick figure comics" in there, too.

Please check it out, and while I know they are no "Calvin & Hobbs" I think it's entertaining:

www.coastertools.com

But when you are presented with 1 sentance that sounds like it was written by a 12 year old and a link...."check out my friends funny comic...."what are you supposed to think?

--Robb "So Jobber, I really think you're out of line..." Alvey

Ok, fine...I'll tell you what....

I've just spent 5 minutes making a comic. I am *NOT* an artist.....OMG, this is seriously probably the BEST art I can possibly do.

I don't even think it's funny.

But I'm willing to put it out there and let people HATE on it.

Because I'm thick skinned enough to know...if I'm putting my work out to the public, I *HAVE* to be able to take comments, good or bad....

So here goes....

My first ever try at a "comic"

robbcomic.JPG.ebfecca24ae250e5bbc27d9d5d2fc7ef.JPG

"Why Coaster Enthusiats Don't Eat At Fancy Restaurants."

Ok, fine...I'll tell you what....

I've just spent 5 minutes making a comic. I am *NOT* an artist.....OMG, this is seriously probably the BEST art I can possibly do.

I don't even think it's funny.

But I'm willing to put it out there and let people HATE on it.

Because I'm thick skinned enough to know...if I'm putting my work out to the public, I *HAVE* to be able to take comments, good or bad....

So here goes....

My first ever try at a "comic"

I enjoyed that more than his, so it might just be his humor. It still isn't the funniest theme park comic I have seen, but I believe that this single 5-minte work was funnier than any of the OP's comics...

Robb, I think you have a knack for forum-based humor!

Robb, I found your's actually kinda funny, except you can't draw a coaster enthusiast worth crap (they should NEVER be perceived as a "stick" person.)

As for that other sites stuff, for those who listen to Opie and Anthony, those comics would totally get the "crickets" or the "car crash".

I love it when people say you have to be nice to everyone, yet they're probably the same ones who just LOVE the first couple of weeks of American Idol when Simon is overly mean to people who can't sing. And then the people reply with "but my friends and family say I'm the best!"

If you want mass appeal, you've got to cater to them. If you want to stay small, independent, and on the down low, don't change the way you do things, but then don't have a cow when the whole world doesn't agree with you.

You should have had the guy asking about the gravy buffet. Remember, when discussing coaster enthusiasts, gravy always equals comedy.

Let's remember a very important lesson, people: if you put things up on the magical interweb, other people might see it. And they might comment on it. And they might not like it. It's not like mom's refrigerator, where any piece of hack crap you threw together will be displayed like it's a long lost work of Picasso, and you'll get a pat on the head and some extra cookies. Nope, out here in this cold harsh realm of existence known as Reality, you will be subject to criticism, commentary, and often just plain old insults. How you deal with it, learn from it, and grow as a result is up to you, but the first lesson should always be whining will not make the situation any better, or make your art/music/writing/sculpture/photos of your coaster screw collection any better.

And while it's a bit off topic, here's some free advice. As someone that makes a living from writing (and in the past from animation and music production), I can say that two most important lessons you will ever learn if you desire to profit from creativity are:

- Don't attach ego to your projects

- Make sure they spell your name right on the check, and cash it right away, especially when dealing with some of Hollywood's more, um, "dishonest" production companies.

As long as you're making the person happy that is signing the checks, you're doing the right thing. Here endith the lesson...

dt

No, they aren't hilarious, but they're worth a chuckle. I don't think anybody can disagree with the fact that they are slightly amusing.

These also have wider appeal than Flip's comics because they aren't site-specific. Granted, I'm a "tenured" member of this site and still don't find Flip's comics remotely amusing, but that's just me. However, you don't see me in his thread making rude comments about how I expected more than what's supposed to be there anyway.

Seriously, they're doodles.... there's little thought into them? No crap. They're extemporaneous. It's not in their nature to have such detailed humor like Vekoma jokes....

As one who also does a comic strip, I will simply say that I respect the effort made. My own first comics were stick figures, when I was about 10 or so, then evolved into what they are today. My artwork isn't so great, but everyone likes the stories and the humor.

With more work (and perhaps a wider focus on things, not only amusement parks), these comics could be a success someday.

Eric

I really am totally clueless why so many people have taken offense to some of us not liking these comics. It's as if we've just insulted your mother.

Let me quote something that Dave said because people obviously didn't read it.

Let's remember a very important lesson, people: if you put things up on the magical interweb, other people might see it. And they might comment on it. And they might not like it. It's not like mom's refrigerator, where any piece of hack crap you threw together will be displayed like it's a long lost work of Picasso, and you'll get a pat on the head and some extra cookies. Nope, out here in this cold harsh realm of existence known as Reality, you will be subject to criticism, commentary, and often just plain old insults. How you deal with it, learn from it, and grow as a result is up to you, but the first lesson should always be whining will not make the situation any better, or make your art/music/writing/sculpture/photos of your coaster screw collection any better.

It's fine if you're going to have an opinion about our opinion, I'm cool with that...but the attitude just seems "strange." Like we're being told we're wrong for not liking them.

I don't get it.

--Robb "There is something more here....and I really have no idea what it is...and I kind of wish someone would just have the balls to tell us." Alvey

^ My mother didn't get the comics... wait, I completely missed the point, didn't I?

seriously, just because i say I don't like them doesn't mean go cry and bitch or anything like that. Some of my best friends are artists, and that's how they make their living (graphic designers, actually, they don't like being called "artists" ), and even they don't hit it out of the park everytime. Especially with something new your trying, it'll take time to find the right mix of writing and drawing that works for you. If you don't want criticism, like Dave said, don't post them on the internet. If you can have a thicker skin, though, I encourage you to post more. if I see one I like, I'll tell you, and you can look at that one compared to the others and see what's different. An artists work needs to always be evolving (myself, I'm a musician, but I consider it a type of art, also...), and sometimes things don't work for everyone. There were some positive reviews, so take that for what it's worth. Just don't be offended when not everybody likes your work and for goodness sake don't use it as an excuse to stop trying...

-james "unless of course you really have no talent at all, then just stop." dillaman

(I'm kidding... halfway )