TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

REQ: Indy to Minneapolis trip help/opinions?

Well, I'm trying to nail down our trip this June, and thought I'd throw out our itenerary so anyone who lives in the area can tell me if I'm really screwing up.

We are going to land in Indianapolis on a Saturday, and head up to Purdue so I can visit my Alma Mater. My mouth is already watering for a Double Charco Cheeseburger with a big old Dog and Suds root beer.

Sunday - Indiana Beach in the early afternoon, then drive up to Chicago and maybe do something there. Monday will be an all Chicago day. Here is what I'm planning on doing in Chicago:

Par King golf

Ahlgrim Acres golf (under a funeral home)

Kiddieland park

Perhaps a Jeepers (I've never been to one)

Perhaps Safari Land

I see Navy Pier has a funhouse that I'd like to try, but it's probably not going to happen. Anybody been to it?

Also, any recommendations for good local food? I need to check Food Network still.

Of course I'm doing SFGAm too. If we get done with other stuff, I may go Monday evening for a bit.

Tuesday - we'll go to SFGAm in the morning. I haven't been since opening day for Batman, so there are plenty of new coasters for me.

Then, we'll drive up to the Dells. I may try and hit Timber Falls that evening for their flume and woodie.

Wednesday - Mt. Olympus. I'm thinking of doing this all day, or this at least being it for the day. They seem to have a big water park, and of course lots of woodies and go-carts for me and my son to ride.

Anyone been to Noah's Ark lately? They seem big, but nothing special except their blaster water coaster which will probably have MASSIVE lines. I went to NA about 20 years ago and absolutely loved their tube chutes, but they apparently got rid of them. It'll probably be too damn cold for much water stuff anyway, since my heat tolerance is so amped up from living in Texas.

Anything else in the Dells not to be missed? My wife doesnt' seem interested in actually seeing the Dells, and I've been on the boat rides before, albeit over 20 years ago. But, I doubt anything has changed, except the price. Any opinions on best mini-golf in the Dells?

Thursday - sleep in and head to Arnold's Park. I'd like to stop and get some fresh cheese curds somewhere. Any good cheese factories around the Dells? We'll do AP in the evening. With any luck, Legend will be my 100th wooden coaster

Friday we'll drive to Shakopee, I'll drop off the family at the hotel and head to Valleyfair! How crowded will they be on a June Friday evening? I hope to get there around 4 and be able to hit everything at least once, since this is my first visit ever.

Saturday we'll do Mall of America. Anything cool there besides Camp Snoopy?

Any suggestions on cool/weird things on this route would be much appreciated. I think this should be a fairly doable trip. Obviously not as ambitious as Robb's trips, but I don't make all that large video game money. I have to pirate Robb's games 8)

So, that's the plan. It's my first major coaster trip in a few years, and not nearly as crammed as my PA/Jersey shore/NY/Boston tirp a few years back. I'll try and do Robb type updates if my hotels have net access.

Rastus O'Ginga

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really think of much to add. Looks like you've got pretty much everything covered.

There are a few other 'credits' in the Dells, like the couple of Riverview park which are EASY to run in/run out and get. I think we may have been there all of 15 minutes in 2003.

Are you guys planning on hitting the new water park at SFGam? It looks like it might be pretty cool.

We haven't been to Noah's Ark either, but we might do that this year since there is a credit there also!

At Mall of America there is also the Aquarium if you like random fish. It's quite a good mall with lots of restaurants. I think we found a good Italian place in there last time we went.

Anyway, hope that helps!

--Robb

So I assume that you are flying back out of the Twin Cities? Just curious, as it seems it is easier to hit the Twin Cities stuff from the Dells and then go down to Arnolds Park from there. We did the opposite trip last year. Hit MO and IA parks on the way to MN and then up over into WI, IL, MI, and IN. If your going to be hitting Arnolds Park, I would suggest heading east and visiting Adventureland as well, one of my favorite small parks. Then again, for all I know, you might have allready been there. As for the Go Gator at Noah's Ark Rob, I thought you didn't count powered coasters? Or is that to keep the coastercounter count up?

^^ Yeah the other credits are on a time/back fatigue basis. We won't have time for the SFGam waterpark I don't think.

^Yeah, We're flying out of M-SP. I have been to Adventureland about 10 years ago. So, the Underground would be new, but that's it.

I may or may not hit Little A-Merrick-A. Depends on time. I wouldn't mind getting the Mad Mouse credit, although I think I rode a clone on the Jersey Shore. But the other two there are not a draw at all.

I think Robb may have been counting the splashdown ride? OR was like me thinking the water coaster at Mt. Olympus was at Noah's Ark. Surely he's not a powered coaster counter. Fer' shame!

Rastus O'Ginga

I live in the Twin Cities, and can help you out with a lot of your plans.

Valleyfair on a June Friday night is depends on a lot of factors. If you're going on either June 3 or June 10, then there will be a lot of high school commencements going on around the Twin Cities metro, and it shouldn't be too bad. Also, it is very weather-dependent. If the weather is warm, it could be quite busy. If there are signs of rain or if it's cold, then you will probably be able to call your shot.

I made my first visit to Noah's Ark last year during their College Days (present a valid college ID and get half off entry), and I was floored by how big the place was. I was also shivering, as it was 61 degrees and overcast on the morning of June 25th.

I agree with Rugged One's idea of going down to Arnold's Park from the Twin Cities. I would jump out of the Dells into Shakopee the first day, then head to Arnold's next. VF is near the highway that you take out of the Twin Cities down to Lake Okoboji.

Arnold's is pretty much a dead end drive out of the way regardless of if it's from Dells or M-SP, right? Yeah, it'll be longer from the Dells, but then we can end up in the twin cities for a few days to end the trip.

Any good local food to get somewhere, fatty or otherwise?

Rastus

Local food, you ask? Well, there's a bunch of good local restaurants in Eden Prairie.

The Lion's Tap is known for their world-famous hamburgers, and they're only about 10 minutes from Valleyfair. I highly recommend the Lion's Tap.

If hamburgers aren't your thing, Davanni's is a little ways up Flying Cloud Drive. Great pizza and hoagies.

For a good, quick milkshake, Culver's is on Highway 169 and Canterbury Road.

If you have any more questions about the Twin Cities, message me and let me know.

DUDE!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was quite interested in their burgers, since I'm in my 7th month of In and Out withdrawal. THEN, I scrolled down and saw they serve draft root beer too. I'M THERE

What's the best discount for Valleyfair! admission? I'm assuming a Pepsi can since it's Cedar Fair.

Thanks,

Rastus