TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Aqua Teen Hunger BOMB!!!!!!!!!!

Neogreeneyez

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-01-31-boston_x.htm

BOSTON — A Cartoon Network publicity stunt gone awry sent police and bomb squads scrambling across Boston Wednesday to investigate at least 10 suspicious devices that turned out to be blinking advertising gimmicks.

Worried that the unidentified items could have been part of a terrorist plot, authorities shut down a major highway, halted subway service and closed off part of the Charles River.

VIDEO: PR stunt sends panic over Boston

The devices turned out to be harmless circuit boards with magnetic lights — part of an outdoor advertising campaign for a late-night cable TV cartoon called Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The show features a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball.

"It's a hoax — and it's not funny," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said.

A man hired to place the packages — Peter Berdovsky, 27, of Arlington — was arrested on one felony charge of placing a hoax device and one charge of disorderly conduct, state Attorney General Martha Coakley said. Coakley said authorities are investigating to determine whether any company should be charged.

Turner Broadcasting put out a statement apologizing for the confusion. The statement said the "packages" have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston; New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin; Philadelphia; and San Francisco.

The statement said Turner Broadcasting was "in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards" in question.

"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger," according to the statement.

A movie based on the cartoon will be released March 23. Characters from the film were pictured on the devices placed around Boston.

Boston police said they received four calls, all around 1 p.m., reporting devices seen at the Boston University Bridge and the Longfellow Bridge, both of which span the Charles River. Others were spotted on a Boston street corner and at the Tufts-New England Medical Center.

The device near the Boston University Bridge was found attached to a structure beneath the span, police said. Another was found Wednesday evening just north of Fenway Park, police spokesman Eddy Chrispin said.

Most Boston-area residents weren't fazed. Wanda Higgins, 47, a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital, watched TV news coverage of the threat while preparing to leave work at 4 p.m.

"I saw the bomb squad guys carrying a paper bag with their bare hands," Higgins said. "I knew it couldn't be too serious."

In Washington, D.C., Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke said officials closely monitored the day's investigation.

"Whether it was intentional or not, the reality is these types of incidents put an enormous burden on law enforcement and counterterrorism resources, and there's absolutely no room for that in a post-9/11 world," Knocke said.

Boston people were going crazy lol... This was so stupid... they arrested the guy who put the lite-bright lookin things up....

boston2-large.jpg.73f48eaab4556dbea26efe08bbeb58e6.jpg

This is what they looked like...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for press, stupid on all other levels. how did it not enter their brains that this could possibly backfire? look at that thing. Ide like to know who actually put these things up or made them knowing theyd be installed in a city. Back in my highschool days someone left a VCR in a bathroom, the whole school district was shut down for a day or two with bomb scares. very dumb.

People are stupid. After 9/11 now, they think EVERYTHING is a bomb or a *terrorist plot* first... "OMG, LIGHTS SHAPED LIKE A SHAKE!! IT'S A SECRET AL QAEDA MESSAGE!!!"

...I wonder where these things are in LA, I haven't seen one yet (if they haven't since been taken down)...

... and I definitely want one. Weird light things rock.

EDIT: Post #600! Yeah!

^

People are stupid. After 9/11 now, they think EVERYTHING is a bomb or a *terrorist plot* first... "OMG, LIGHTS SHAPED LIKE A SHAKE!! IT'S A SECRET AL QAEDA MESSAGE!!!"

please, please explain to us how you think this reaction is stupid?

i prefer our gov. and police to think everything is bomb first than have anything happen. its the post 9/11 world and i sure dont want to relive another day like that again...

not everyone is in the know on tv shows or things like that.

^

i prefer our gov. and police to think everything is bomb first than have anything happen. its the post 9/11 world and i sure dont want to relive another day like that again...

WELL, I can actually see this two ways....

1. This is really really dumb... people put a bunch of stickers and ads everywhere ex. light poles, stop lights, walls... ATHF was clever enough to make ads that lit up and made a lot of people look and interested... All it took was one crazy paranoid person to call the police and be ignorant enough about the show to cry wolf/bomb... Now the Gov. wants to press charges on Turner?! Wow a little too serious

on the second hand....

2. WTF was ATHF thinking lol why did they not alert the cities that they were doing advertising to stop this mahem? At the same time almost the WHOLE boston city police force was on every scene causing alot of man hours. Bomb squads were there also which is somehow going to come out of the crazy taxes we pay in MA. They should have just made billboards and been smart about it. After 9/11 people should just have some common sense.....

well I guess I don't have a way to feel about this.... eh well

^

I would have to agree with you on this one, especially since the lightboards were pictures of a Mooninite giving the middle finger. Thats a little agreessive and its normal for police to percieve that as a bomb, especially because of the exposed wires and batteries behind the lightboard.

However I think maybe there may be a little bit of an overreaction after the fact..

Wasn't Boston faulted for the crappiest security and mostly caused 9/11?!?? Looks like they're now trying to overcompensate. This is so ridiculous and stupid. I don't care if EVERYONE doesn't know about the characters, how did it get so far out of control, I refuse to believe there weren't a few voices of reason just being shut out.

Stupid Boston.

What gets me about this is that these LED light boards have been in nine other cities (New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas; San Francisco; and Philadelphia) for two to three weeks and no one has said anything. The only difference I can see is that the artists they got to hang the signs in Boston were dumb enough to hang them off of bridges and hospitals. For more stuff, here is their reaction of bust a gut laughter in court during their arraignment:

and their completely farcical press conference after their release from jail. This is not going to end well for anyone.

Yeah...as much as I'm on their side and think that Boston WAY overreacted and was pretty pathetically stupid.

Now is the time for them to just sit back, be quiet, and let the lawyers do their thing. Not make jokes and be stupid.

Grrrr...

I agree whole heartedly. I'm sure they see this as a major opportunity to "make a statement", but they don't know what they are in the middle of. When the Governor of Massachusetts starts making threats to "take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred", and when they fall under the "affiliates" label, play time is over.

Alright kiddies, resized a few new avatar/signature combo for use on the forums here if you support America and hate how Big Brotherish our country has become since 9/11...

Credit goes where it is due... to the Goons at the forums of SomethingAwful.com .

Fatty 150x150

Petit for other forums 100x100

BANNERS

400x100, maybe a little fat, but SUPPORT AMERICA!

Alright kiddies, made a new avatar/signature combo for use on the forums here if you support America and hate how Big Brotherish our country has become since

You didn't make those, you copied the image from Something Awful and resized it.

Alright kiddies, made a new avatar/signature combo for use on the forums here if you support America and hate how Big Brotherish our country has become since

You didn't make those, you copied the image from Something Awful and resized it.

I at least made a banner, and didn't put a "THIS IMAGE IS HOSTED BY EBAUMSWORLD.LOL!" Credit is due somewhere...

That article is missing the most important detail. The light boards were placed on BRIDGE GIRDERS. It's one thing to find one on a bridge, it's another thing to find one on something that holds the bridge up. Not to mention they were placed in places people wouldn't normally see them. Not many people would look at a bridge girder expecting an advertisement.