TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Random feeling after Theme Park visit...

Hi again, this is a bit of a wierd post but I have no idea why this happens and was wondering if anyone here has any answers for me.

When I was younger I visited Alton Towers quite alot, I always enjoyed it and had some great days out, anyhow, my last 3 or so visits have made me ill.

First time on Nemesis was fine, the 2 times after that I almost blacked out towards the end of the ride. I felt pressure on my heart and head, I found it hard to breathe, my hearing failed for a few seconds and I grayed-out.

I took a few hours break from the rides and went on Air towards the end of the day and also felt the same symptoms. At the end of the day I felt like crap, I just felt over-tired, sick, dizzy and overall crappy - the 2 hour journey home seemed to take forever and as soon as I got back I got into bed and slept for a LONG LONG time

Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone here would know why I am experiencing stuff like that, could it be a health issue? I'm 23 now, I never experienced anything like that when I visited the park when I was younger (around 12-16).

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had that happen to me on a coaster, but I experienced a similar situation while working out once.

About five years ago, I was working my legs, and had put too much weight on the machine; stubbornly, I tried to do it, and after the third or fourth attempt, I let out a huge grunt, and managed to budge the weight. All of a sudden, the room started spinning and going grey, I had trouble breathing and heart palpitations, and lost my hearing (or, more accurately, had an incredibly loud ringing in my ears) for a good fifteen minutes. I was incredibly nauseous and dizzy, and pretty much used the wall to hold myself up on my way to the bathroom (the bathroom, of course, was locked).

I'd never been so scared in my life, I was panicking on the floor, scared to death that I was going blind and deaf for some unknown reason. I started feeling better after about thirty minutes, and was fine after an hour or so, but holy crap was that scary.

I never saw a doctor about it, but that night I explained what happened to someone who had a lot of medical knowledge, and they said that, in trying to lift the weight, I had probably put too much pressure on my spine, causing the spinal column to send a little "jolt" to my brain, where my central nervous system basically went haywire for a second. Makes sense, as I have a bunch of back problems.

No idea how accurate that is, but they told me not to worry about it, and I've never had anything like that happen again.

I'd venture to guess that it's probably not anything to worry about on a day-to-day basis, but you should still go to a doctor, ASAP, ESPECIALLY if you plan on riding coasters again. Don't mess with your health.

I definitely do not have the 'coaster endurance' I used to have, but I've never really felt sick (or maybe I just got smart enough to stop riding over and over!)

Other little factors can also affect how you can tolerate the rides, temperature, what you ate that day, how much sleep you got, etc.

Yeah I guess, I just figured that you guys might know why I have these issues, I only ever get it when going to theme parks (obviously) and I don't go THAT often so going to the Doctors would be kinda pointless.

The doctors in my area are kinda arrogant and rude enough when you have a problem, let alone going healthy and taking up their precious time

And SharkTums yes, I am usually tired when at themeparks due to getting up very early to go there, maybe thats it. I don't think it's due to over doing it though, there's usually a long queue between rides

Maybe before I go next I should consult a doctor, although Alton Towers is getting so boring... unless they get some new coasters I doubt I'll go back for a few years.

My mums a doctor. It means i know a lot about Medicine.

OK Einstein, tell your mother what this guy experienced and see what a real doctor says.

Everybody's body changes over time, what he is experiencing could be the harbinger of something bigger or it could be nothing. Even if this guy never goes to another amusement park ever again his knowing if he has a condition now might help him lead a healthier life.

Your mum might be a doctor but you are 13 and have a Jim Henson creation in your avatar. You are far from being a doctor.

It's funny because I never told anyone about the problems I experienced til my last visit, I didn't really think much of it til I told my Mother and she told me that I shouldn't go on em as it's a bad sign.

I read a review on Goliath at about.com and the reviewer said that he experienced a gray-out, I'm not comparing the G-forces on Nemesis to Goliath, I'm not sure on the numbers, but it's pretty much what I experienced - gray out, stuggling to breathe, BIG headache after it, and an overall crappy feeling.

I wish It didn't happen though :/ I really do love riding coasters (the few ive been on - UK sucks!! )

edit: the sound - maybe you could ask your mum about it? I'd like some info on it without having to go to my moody doctors

Cheers!

My mother is a nurse.

Doesn't mean I'd be dumb enough to give medical advice like it was my advice.

Knowledge is not hereditary.

Go see a doctor if you're worried about your symptoms, don't come to the internet to get advice from random kids that think they know anything.

No, but telling your mother of the symptoms and asking for her opinion is fine

Actually no it's not.

You can't diagnose a medical condition over the internet with a few brief symptons.

Medical avice along with legal advice is something that should only be dealt with in person.

Edit: I just called my mother who's a nurse and told her your symptons. She said you could have a brain tumor and have days to live. Or I could just have made that up.

But you go ahead and get your advice from a 13 year old who could just be playing Doogie Howser. His advice will be as acurate as mine.

I get this a lot when I ride flats. In particular, the spin out ride, makes me black out every time I go on it.

When ever the ride goes 'almost' upside down i have great feeling of pressure on my chest and I grey out. I don't know if it has to do with my hole in my chest or not. But it is pretty scary sometimes.

^You know, my Dad says he'll never ride American Eagle at SFGA again because he's experienced something like that.

I've been on my share of coasters, and never once felt anything like that except after my cousin and I got to stay on Batman: The Ride for 5 consecutive rides and after that I just felt dizzy and lightheaded. But if I go on it once or twice i'm fine. Kinda makes you think how those record breakers do it with like 3000 rides in a row!