TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Who's in Favor of School Dress Codes?

Strict Dress Codes/Uniforms - Good or Bad?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Strict Dress Codes/Uniforms - Good or Bad?

• I'm all for them, especially uniforms.
    • I'm all for strict dress codes, but not uniforms.
    • I think a middle ground solution is best.
    • Only very basic rules should be instituted.
    • Nothing should be done to bfluffy, fluffy bunnyk what students wear, no matter what.

Every school should have a strict dress code, no dyed hair or piercing.

I went to a Private School / Boarding School in the 80's, they had a uniform I had to wear, black socks and trousers, white shirt, red / green tie and a black blazer with the school badge on.

Schools these days are 2 soft and the "cane/slipper" should be bought back to teach some a lesson in manners.

The schools in the UK do not even teach the children the "times tables" anymore as they are more worried about how their school is preforming, stats etc

I'm so glad I went to school and grew up in the 80's / 90's than today.

Kids of today have everything so easy, no wonder they don't want to work, so lazy and hang about the streets and the corner shops.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dress codes may make it easier for poorer kids to fit into a rich environment, but in the end it doesn't do them all that much good.

The rest of your post made perfect sense to me, but I just wanted to point out that the sentence I've quoted implies that you completely missed my point from my previous post, and I wanted to make it clear that what you've said there is NOT what I was trying to say. It wasn't a case of poor kids fitting into a rich environment, or rich kids fitting into a poor environment. It was a case of putting every single child in that school onto a level economic playing field. Of course bullying still went on for academic and social reasons, but at an age where kids are beginning to become VERY aware of how financially wealthy their families are, and other peoples' families in comparison... I think that equality is very important.

That was all I was trying to say.

I don't understand, how does it work? Fewer kids get bullied because of what they wear, but I'm sure the bullies find other ways to get at them, as you've stated, some kids are still different.

Well, for some reason, in two schools I've been to / I'm in, everyone's very fashion conscious. If people decide someone's not wearing the right thing, they'll get picked on and bullied. However, with uniforms, this problem is eliminated. Yes, there's still bullying but not as much as there perhaps would be if everyone wore their own clothes

Every school should have a strict dress code, no dyed hair or piercing.

Schools these days are 2 soft and the "cane/slipper" should be bought back to teach some a lesson in manners.

l and grew up in the 80's / 90's than today.

Here you make a connection between dress and performance, which I despise. If you want to teach kids more manners, or increase their intelligence, work harder on strict curriculum and logic building, not trivial things that will just anger them.

@CoasterLou, ah sorry, that's what I got from your post. But still, how does making them appear to be on "a level economic playing field" help them out? I don't think it really would make all that much difference in their attempts at gaining knowledge if they felt poorer than the rest. It's too bad that some people are poorer than others, but what can covering that up do? Overall, it just inconveniences everyone.

Ah, I talked to someone from a major high school near my today, and I can see to some degree why so many people are in favor of dress codes. Kids these days are idiots, I can't believe how ignorant they are, and they do need a stronger hold on them to teach absolute truths like logic and reasoning, but I still say dress codes don't fix anything, not in the least. Kids take freedoms for granted, and many are so drunk with the high school "I don't give a damn about anything" stupor, but strict dress codes will only make them angry and more prone to dissent. I say we need to crack down on teaching harder, and really concentrating on things like logic and reasoning, that way kids may gain an insight into dressing more... eh, smart.

I got a great idea today, why don't schools just force dress codes on those kids who have bad grades and take their styles too far, and leave the smarter, more logical students alone? Surely then many kids would strive to perform better at least.

It was a case of putting every single child in that school onto a level economic playing field. Of course bullying still went on for academic and social reasons, but at an age where kids are beginning to become VERY aware of how financially wealthy their families are, and other peoples' families in comparison... I think that equality is very important.

I think that "leveling the field" is wrong.

If a poor kid dresses to the same level as one from a wealthy family, I believe he would consider his parents' actions in life suitable and possibly even desirable. After all, why go through college and work hard like the wealthy kid's parents did when you can do what "your" parents did and slack off in school and work mediocre jobs with half-assed effort? You're not going to get any extra benefits such as finer clothing no matter how hard you work...

ah sorry, that's what I got from your post. But still, how does making them appear to be on "a level economic playing field" help them out? I don't think it really would make all that much difference in their attempts at gaining knowledge if they felt poorer than the rest. It's too bad that some people are poorer than others, but what can covering that up do? Overall, it just inconveniences everyone.

It doesn't necessarily directly have an effect upon their academic performance, it just takes away something which is one of the most common causes of bullying, and therefore is one less thing for the kids to worry about. Don't read too much into it, I'm not suggesting that uniforms solve all problems, not by a long run, but in that sense, they certainly help out with eliminating one thing that can have an adverse effect on several aspects of a kid's (and particularly a teenager's) life.

I think that "leveling the field" is wrong.

If a poor kid dresses to the same level as one from a wealthy family, I believe he would consider his parents' actions in life suitable and possibly even desirable. After all, why go through college and work hard like the wealthy kid's parents did when you can do what "your" parents did and slack off in school and work mediocre jobs with half-assed effort? You're not going to get any extra benefits such as finer clothing no matter how hard you work...

But the poor kid doesn't dress as if he/she is wealthy. Neither does the wealthy kid. They all dress as... Well, it's neutral. There's no way of telling who is from what kind of background. Eliminating many of the problems that are common in *some* high schools without uniforms.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sad to say I'm confused! (And after all this time I thought I finally understood you. ) What does having or not having a uniform have to do with how hard people work and whether peoples' parents work hard or not? I'm baffled!

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'm beginning to understand actually. You're saying they SHOULD be distinguishable in some kind of celebration of how well their parents have done? If not, ignore this addendum, but if so, how is that fair? Why should I be punished for my parents being layabouts, or be rewarded for them being millionaires? What they do/did has nothing to do with what kind of person I am.

However much we may hate uniforms (I do too), it really is better for a school because you'd be SO surprised at the difference between the attitudes of public school kinds (many of which can afford private school) and private school kids. They really do make a difference, no matter how much you hate them and don't want to admit it.

I mean, how do you tease someone who is wearing exactly what you are?

^^^Not every kid is an idiot, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't generalize like that. It'd be like me saying that everyone over 18 is old-fashioned. Both are obviously nowhere near true.

Besides, there have always been idiots. They just do different things that make them look stupid.

Well, my school makes us wear uniforms, but I don't really care. It's one less thing I have to think about in the mornings during the week.

I guess i can sort of see the point there. But it really doesn't free the imagination, everyone in school wearing adzactly the same thing, blue shirt, tie, Grey Shorts or Dark grey Pants.

But at least we have a Baseball cap for our hat, not a gay wide brimmed on.

However much we may hate uniforms (I do too), it really is better for a school because you'd be SO surprised at the difference between the attitudes of public school kinds (many of which can afford private school) and private school kids. They really do make a difference, no matter how much you hate them and don't want to admit it.

I mean, how do you tease someone who is wearing exactly what you are?

^^^Not every kid is an idiot, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't generalize like that. It'd be like me saying that everyone over 18 is old-fashioned. Both are obviously nowhere near true.

Besides, there have always been idiots. They just do different things that make them look stupid.

The difference between public and private school kids is not that their forced or unforced dressing styles affect their behavior, it's that in most cases, the kids in private school have harder parents who drill things into them, and the kids in public school are generally more left alone. Also, many private school kids like myself come from more logical parents who take greater care in passing on logic and reason onto them, thus they aren't so crazy.

How can kids pick on one another if they wear the same things? Please, do you honestly believe two different people will be exactly the same if they wear the same outfit? You need to read my article when I get my site back up.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I was wrong to say all kids are idiots, but many that I see are, and yes, it's an on-going problem.

The difference between public and private school kids is not that their forced or unforced dressing styles affect their behavior, it's that in most cases, the kids in private school have harder parents who drill things into them, and the kids in public school are generally more left alone. Also, many private school kids like myself come from more logical parents who take greater care in passing on logic and reason onto them, thus they aren't so crazy.

How can kids pick on one another if they wear the same things? Please, do you honestly believe two different people will be exactly the same if they wear the same outfit? You need to read my article when I get my site back up.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I was wrong to say all kids are idiots, but many that I see are, and yes, it's an on-going problem.

You want to be careful saying this... I'm not necessarily saying that this is what you MEANT to reply, but this kinda reads like you're saying that kids in public schools (like myself and hundreds of others here) have parents who didn't pass logic onto them... Which is definitely not true, and is equally as bad a blanket statement as "all kids are idiots". My parents would have loved for me to go to private school.

You're correct 100% in your assumption that wearing the same outfit doesn't make two people the same. That's kind of a part of my argument FOR the uniforms, it doesn't change or diminish the students' personality or individuality in any way, it just means there's one less indicator of economic status.

^Ah, yes, by now you should see that I'm bad at doing this. What I meant to say was that you will find a larger concentration of children who have parents that really don't care as much, or not at all, about what they do at the public schools than children at private schools. Surely a parent who didn't care as much wouldn't waste the money on private schooling.

That's cool. I agree with you in that respect, but it's definitely a one-way correlation. By which I mean, there are going to be less parents of private-school children who DON'T care, but that does not necessarily mean there are less parents with children in public school who DO.

Wow, that made even less sense than your post.

I think that definitely a strict dress code would definitely be the worst ever... But with that in mind we had a very basic code of conduct that stated there couldn't be any profanity or any kind of sexual content on clothing.. Also some of the girls could not wear revealing clothes... This actually puts a stop to what kids are actually in school for in the first place. Why does it seem like school is just a hang out place and not a place to actually get a valuable education and prepare for the future?

Well, what is being said by all the people who have been to a school with a uniform is pretty much spot on. People dont get picked on for having daggy clothes which is one less bit of ammo the a$$es have.

Another thing that is good about a uniform is that it sort of breaks down the barriers between groups, you dont get these pockets of people that all act like sheep and dress in a certain way etc, lets face it people always tend to have notions about people just by the sorts of things they wear. But when you take that factor out people take each other for who they really are.

In other words, people arent just expressing their individuality by the way they dress, they are expressing it through their actions, the way the speak etc.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sad to say I'm confused! (And after all this time I thought I finally understood you. ) What does having or not having a uniform have to do with how hard people work and whether peoples' parents work hard or not? I'm baffled!

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'm beginning to understand actually. You're saying they SHOULD be distinguishable in some kind of celebration of how well their parents have done? If not, ignore this addendum, but if so, how is that fair? Why should I be punished for my parents being layabouts, or be rewarded for them being millionaires? What they do/did has nothing to do with what kind of person I am.

let me make an example with my own life that should be easy to read what I was trying to say

My mom works very hard and makes a comfortable living.

My dad is lazy, works a mediocre job, and he simply "gets by"

When my mom would buy me clothes, pretty much anything in a normal mall was affordable

When my dad would buy me clothes, the sale rack was about all he could afford.

I see this and say "hey, I'd rather work hard like my mom to be able to provide for myself and my family later in life". I'd rather wear some nice, comfortable clothes and not just cheap stuff that could likely fall apart. Without classes people have little motivation because things will always be the same. Think of worker productivity in capitalist nations versus communist nations.

Does that make any more sense?

Well, what is being said by all the people who have been to a school with a uniform is pretty much spot on. People dont get picked on for having daggy clothes which is one less bit of ammo the a$$es have.

Another thing that is good about a uniform is that it sort of breaks down the barriers between groups, you dont get these pockets of people that all act like sheep and dress in a certain way etc, lets face it people always tend to have notions about people just by the sorts of things they wear. But when you take that factor out people take each other for who they really are.

In other words, people arent just expressing their individuality by the way they dress, they are expressing it through their actions, the way the speak etc.

Hmm, yes, people keep saying this, but I have also kept saying that no, it doesn't truely break those barriers between students based on external factors. This is the example I always use: Take two students, an ugly one and a handsome one, and imagine them in the same outfit. Is there much of a difference? I would tend to think so. The point is that even when dressed the same, gangs, groups, and clicks still exist. Kids are kids, and they'll find ways to discriminate against one another no matter what.

In the end, the only thing that will eliminate this is to increase the amount of logic and reasoning that is taught, that way maybe they will begin to break out of their youthful shells and see the world as it really is.

^You would be surprised. It breaks down barriers at my school. I mean, most of us don't care about looks, but more personality. Sure, there are the typical people who do, but it really does work for most of us. I mean, it gives us all something to relate to each other.

The weakness in your whole argument is that you are not in a school wearing a uniform (that I know of. I mean, you're 21...), and things do change. Or you may only be remembering the bad and not the good.