TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Steel Coaster Poll Results Are In

I'm also kind of surprised Expedition GeForce got #2, I mean I LOVE the first drop and first two airtime hills, but after that, its kind of boring. I don't know, maybe I'm just too picky.

Eh, no. EGF is just not THAT perfect like everyone makes it to be. I don't want to bash it again, since it is a great coaster, but it sure has its boring parts like most coasters do.

If you we're surprised about the #2, what have you done the last 4 years?!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Walibi World Goliath got 4th! That awsomely good! How can it be that the european rides are up so high this year? And why did G!@WW end up so high?

More Americans are traveling to Europe and realizing that there is something to be said about "Quality over Quantity."

Not meaning to toot our own horn here, but I really do believe that all the travels TPR has been doing abroad has really opened up the eyes of many enthusiasts to parks and coasters outside the USA.

While I know organizations like ACE and ECC do these trips also, their publications audience only reaches the members who receive their magazines. Whereas TPR generates a MUCH wider audience since you don't need to be a member of anything to view the same (and hopefulle better) information.

Our photo trip reports literally have the potential to reach MILLIONS whereas a "clubs" publication only reaches a few thousand at best.

If you look at the travels we have done in the past few years, we have actually not done a "major" USA trip since 2003! All of our travels longer than 5 days have been international, and I really DO believe that exposure is HELPING our international parks!

Personally, I do believe that there are so many GREAT parks and coasters outside the USA and people should be visiting them! And in many cases a 10 day trip outside the USA isn't that much more expensive per day than a 10 day trip around America.

There's a lot of awesome coasters out there, stick with us and we'll get you there!

--Robb "Not even trying to be a shameless plug!" Alvey

^To be clear, it's you who don't think it is THAT perfect. For most of us, it really is that perfect. But to each his own.

First of all, no coaster is perfect. There's ALWAYS something that could have been better. Even my beloved coasters are not perfect. I "only" like them the most.

And second: No, it's not just me... Not even here on EGF crazy TPR. Or does jimbobcoaster count as nobody?

^

It's not going 120 mph on the way back to the station. I'm talking about the return track not the launch track section. Storm Runner has a nice little heartline near the end of the ride.

Ka trains may not hit exactly 128 mph again on the way down the drop, but they definitely do exceed 95 mph going down its 418' drop. And as mentioned before me, Storm Runner trains aren't passing the 95 mph near the end of the ride like Ka does.

And second: No, it's not just me... Not even here on EGF crazy TPR. Or does jimbobcoaster count as nobody?

You're the only one obsessing over it. Seriously, you haven't posted that much in the past 3 months, and a majority of your posts have been boasting about how "EGF will be unseated this year."

Honestly, if you weren't turning it into such a big deal, none of us would really give two sh1ts.

--Robb

^^^The bottom line is that we get it. You don't think EGF is all that great. You really don't need to go and take EVERY single chance you get to make a post that comes off as "I think EGF isn't that great so that makes it true! Believe me or I'll kill a kitten!"

Sure...there's no such thing as a perfect roller coaster. That's because there is no definitive way to decide what makes a perfect roller coaster. But most people don't post about a roller coaster that has received overwhemingly positive reviews "flaws" 100454354354534543 times.

You're the only one obsessing over it. Seriously, you haven't posted that much in the past 3 months, and a majority of your posts have been boasting about how "EGF will be unseated this year."

Well, maybe the only one on here, yeah...

And did I ever say EGF WILL be unseated? Don't think so. I just kept a close eye on Black Mamba and EGF since I thought those two were the biggest contestants for the number one spot after hearing so many positive reviews about it. Well, guess I was wrong after all...

^^^The bottom line is that we get it. You don't think EGF is all that great. You really don't need to go and take EVERY single chance you get to make a post that comes off as "I think EGF isn't that great so that makes it true! Believe me or I'll kill a kitten!"

Sure...there's no such thing as a perfect roller coaster. That's because there is no definitive way to decide what makes a perfect roller coaster. But most people don't post about a roller coaster that has received overwhemingly positive reviews "flaws" 100454354354534543 times.

I never really pointed out what I consider "flaws" on EGF. Mainly for the reason that many people see it differently. A "flaw" for somebody might be something great about the other. Also a reason that there is no perfect coaster. Can't make everyone happy obviously...

Besides. Many people see the Voyage as pretty much perfect, yet, I have seen comments about its "flaws". Just another proof. (Even though we seem to aggree in that departement)

All I want to say is that EGF seems WAY overhyped, especially here on TPR (absolutely no insulting ment!). It's a great coaster, and I suggest everyone to go take a ride (honestly! I just hate the park, but that's personal), but it's simply not the "second comming" or whatever. It's "just" another top tier coaster. If somebody ranks it top ten or sub20 is just a matter of opinion, but it doesn't belong on #1 on everybodys poll! Just like my personal #1, Millennium Force, doesn't belong in the top ten on every poll. That's the way it is, and that's good that way!

I hope I was able to get my point across this time...

What amuses me is how Stealth came above KK.

No one's going to take the 4 out of the top 5 European coasters seriously for good reason.

Why not? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind your statement.

Just because Kingda Ka is taller and faster doesn't mean that it's necessarily better than Stealth.

Personally, I quite enjoyed Stealth! It wasn't my favorite rocket by any means, but I actually enjoyed it more than TTD and ranked it as such.

I prefered Stealth's straight drop over TTD's twisty drop, and I prefered the more powerful launch on Stealth.

While I haven't ridden Kingda Ka yet, I can only imagine that I would most likely also prefer Stealth over Ka, just based on the fact two factors I mentioned above.

--Robb

Fair enough.

I think the twist back down looks really cool personally, but i havn't ridden so i don't know.

I know that Stealth's launch is more powerful than TTD's, but i wouldn't have thought it was that noticable to be honest. And isn't Ka's more powerful? So, i dont get your "based on the two factors above" comment., entirely.

Still, the majority of people are going to assume the same as i did i would have thought. Certainly those who havn't ridden both. The only guy i know who's ridden both prefers Ka. With such similar coasters, i would have thought size does matters to most.

But still, I understand it's your opinion, which is cool...one less person in the line in front of me for SROS...

Hey, I never said I'd get out of line for ya - you gotta wait just like everybody else...

Anyway, I should probably point out that one of the reasons I make mention of my disappointment with S:ROS isn't because I dislike the coaster, but because I really am "disappointed" - this coaster is more or less the Holy Grail of coasters, and I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong by not enjoying it. I know that sounds kinda stupid, but it's like I'm waiting for someone to tell me "if you turn your head to the right and snap your fingers while on the third hill, you'll orgasm".

I'm actually more disappointed in myself than anything.

I also noticed that Lisebergbanan did very well. That ride looks really fun and fast. Its cool to see a coaster about 20 years old do so well!

And by the way, about EGF, it is in no way a bad coaster. I personally love it but in my opinion, it isn't all that exciting after the first (great) drop and first 2 airtime hills, though it is still a great ride.

I think the most important thing we have to remember in this debate about coasters is simply some people like different things. I think it would be wrong for a coaster enthusiast to just make Voyage his #1 wood or SROS his #1 steel simply because that is how he is supposed to vote, being a coaster enthusiast. This top coaster lists should only be used as a guide for the coaster fan to go out, find, and experiance himself the great roller coasters. Simply saying "SROS is the best coaster ever," and then discrediting everyone else who likes a different coaster as a "fanboy" or not as "experianced" is just wrong. Different strokes for different folks. I know one of my favorites, Magnum, which has what I believe one of the best moments of ejector airtime in its last tunnel, only placed 65th. Does this mean it shouldn't be one of my favorites because it didn't place high on the list? I don't think so. As long as we try to rank these coasters, there will always be controversy, but hey, it gives us something to talk about.

I think the most important thing we have to remember in this debate about coasters is simply some people like different things. I think it would be wrong for a coaster enthusiast to just make Voyage his #1 wood or SROS his #1 steel simply because that is how he is supposed to vote, being a coaster enthusiast. This top coaster lists should only be used as a guide for the coaster fan to go out, find, and experiance himself the great roller coasters. Simply saying "SROS is the best coaster ever," and then discrediting everyone else who likes a different coaster as a "fanboy" or not as "experianced" is just wrong. Different strokes for different folks. I know one of my favorites, Magnum, which has what I believe one of the best moments of ejector airtime in its last tunnel, only placed 65th. Does this mean it shouldn't be one of my favorites because it didn't place high on the list? I don't think so. As long as we try to rank these coasters, there will always be controversy, but hey, it gives us something to talk about.

Amen!

I also noticed that Lisebergbanan did very well. That ride looks really fun and fast. Its cool to see a coaster about 20 years old do so well!

And by the way, about EGF, it is in no way a bad coaster. I personally love it but in my opinion, it isn't all that exciting after the first (great) drop and first 2 airtime hills, though it is still a great ride.

Noone said EGF is a bad coaster, it simply isn't, it's great and I do not talk bad about anyone who ranks it as #1. Maybe that wasn't clearly enought...

Also, Lisebergbanan always did great. I remember that, before I've ridden it, that I never understood why it was ranked so high. Once I've ridden it I knew it. Now it's my #3 coaster!

Also, Lisebergbanan always did great. I remember that, before I've ridden it, that I never understood why it was ranked so high. Once I've ridden it I knew it. Now it's my #3 coaster!

What makes Lisebergbanan so good in your opinion, what were you favorite parts? It is one of the higher rated ones I just don't get.

What makes Lisebergbanan so good in your opinion, what were you favorite parts? It is one of the higher rated ones I just don't get.

Having done a mini-marathon on Lisebergbanan, I will give you my opinion of the ride. It doesnt have any crazy airtime, insane G-forces or crazy high speed. Its simply pure fun! It has a great combination of elements, and you just get the good feeling of being on a classic coaster. Its unique. It has a soul. It doesnt feel like the designers thought "Hey lets see what the computer comes up with", which is the feeling I get on many modern coasters.

It may not an extreme ride, but it sure is fun and thats why so many people, myself included, loves it.

Its simply pure fun! It has a great combination of elements, and you just get the good feeling of being on a classic coaster.

That about sums it up. there's nothing really "outstanding", it just gives me the feeling of beeing on a rollercoaster. One without any 2bells and whistles". Just a classic rollercoaster the way a coaster is originally ment to be. And of course the screnery is a huge bonus. It was by far the best coaster in the park for me after the dissapointement Balder (expected too much). But that is just my opinion, I'm sure there are others