TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

GCI Intern Website

I have a question. I am aiming to go to Penn State for architecture and my main goal is to become an amusement ride designer, so what classes would I need to take(yes, I know I need to take physics.)?

It seems like your job is a lot of fun.

-Chris

Send me a message through the intern site and we can chat. Architecture actually isn't that far off, but it depends what exactly you want to do.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would be one sweet ass gig.

Do you guys ever lean over the designers shoulders and tell them to add in another airtime hill here or there? I know it's probably tough to find a spot for any more elements on one of their rides but it would still be tempting.

I wouldn't think so. While designing and manufacturing one involves Physics, the majority of the focus is put into engineering, as well as some architecture. If you want to be considered for the industry I would work towards civil or mechanical engineering, as well as electrical. The best would be to focus on one area, such as mechanical, and then get a general understanding of each of the other branches.

So...Tech Schools are a yes...and I'm guessing any design classes I can get into in high school are good too. What's the employment rate for design companies? I know Gravity Group, for example, only has a group of 5 or so designers. Does that mean its relatively hard to be hired to be a part of a design firm?

That's why I hope to apply any mechanical engineering skills to more things than roller coasters when I (hopefully) graduate college. After getting skilled in the field, and being maybe fourty years old and saving money, that's when I want to start my own roller coaster company since it'll be so darn hard to get into one that already exists. If that fails, then I'd still have the skills to do other jobs. I honestly think that I have a large chance at failing, but at my age it's okay to dream. When I enter the real world, that's when I'll reevaluate whether it is worth pursuing a career designing rides.

But I'll always have a heart for riding roller coasters, and would like to travel around riding them. So, I don't have to design roller coasters to enjoy them.

Any idea when you people starting with that trains ?

The ride should be open end of june so...

What i expect is that the trains should be finished in may since they also have to be transported by boat to Europe.

I'm just looking forward to my first ride in a millenium flyer next may in Beech Bend.

Any idea when you people starting with that trains ?

The ride should be open end of june so...

What i expect is that the trains should be finished in may since they also have to be transported by boat to Europe.

I'm just looking forward to my first ride in a millenium flyer next may in Beech Bend.

We have the Valleyfair trains to build first, then the Toverland trains. I would guess that work will start on the Troy trains in April.

Great to hear you end with the Troy trains

On this way you've practiced on 2 trains before that wich makes the last one the best

I'm a installation designer myself so i know a bit what its like to put things together after doing a lot of drawings and engineering before that.

It seems you heve a lot of fun with it.

What i don't get is all the mack signs on the back ground ???

Is GCI also the spare part delivery for Mack ?

I know its the mack logo since i come in Europapar mostly every year.

I had contacts with the family mack for some information.

The even brought me a nice Mack baseball cap.

Anyway still no answer from the blog people so let us know what the mack plate is doing over there