TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

GCI Intern Website

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^I have a completely random (extremely nerdy) question.

I noticed on GCI coasters that the lift motor never idles, it always going at full speed whether there's a train present or not. What 's the reasoning behind this? Reason I ask is because most other manufacturers have their lifts idle.

Thanks for your time.

I'd also be curious to know about how much "flex" in a wooden ride is desirable and whether or not it needs to be controlled over time.

We all know that wooden rides need to give somewhat as the train travels over it... is that something designed into the ride and locked in and never needs to be touched, or are people tightening bolts from time to time?

I noticed on GCI coasters that the lift motor never idles, it always going at full speed whether there's a train present or not. What 's the reasoning behind this? Reason I ask is because most other manufacturers have their lifts idle.

Thanks for your time.

Which coaster did you notice this on? As far as I know the lift motors do idle until a train has been dispatched.

I'd also be curious to know about how much "flex" in a wooden ride is desirable and whether or not it needs to be controlled over time.

We all know that wooden rides need to give somewhat as the train travels over it... is that something designed into the ride and locked in and never needs to be touched, or are people tightening bolts from time to time?

I think Evan could also better answer this one, but I'll give it a shot.

Not just wooden, but all coasters (and even buildings and structures) are designed to allow some flex in them. Wood coasters even have a "wave" that travels ahead of the train in which the structure flexes.

Wood obviously behaves differently than steel. Pieces are replaced when needed, the entire structure is inspected every day, bolts are tightened, etc. No coaster is maintenance free by any means, but that maintenance is kept up daily by the park.

My new blog entry has been posted, you can read it here!

Also in case you missed my blog entry from last week, you can see that one here. This one talked a lot about how I got to where I am today and might answer some questions asked in this thread.

Like always, feel free to ask questions about the internship program and I'll do my best to answer them for you!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...