TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Can B&M switch the style of trains on their roller coast

What Type of Train That B&M Manufacture Do You Like The Most?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Train That B&M Manufacture Do You Like The Most?

• Hyper (two abrest)
    • Hyper (four abrest)
    • Twister (sit down)
    • Floorless
    • Dive Coaster
    • Flying
    • Inverted
    • What Is A B&M?

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if a B&M roller coaster could have the trains replaced from one kind to another? (Like Medusa getting replaced from floorless trains to standup trains?) Is this possible in any way, Because I read in a book of mine that arrow tried to create custom stand up trains for their previous sit down models, but they were too heavy for the track. But, from looking at pictures af sit down and standup trains (all of the different styles) look roughly the same size and weight, so it looks like B&M would be capable in doing this. I also think that maybe the design is made for a certin type of train as of length and width of the track, but all are four abrest seating, so I have no clue. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know?

Thanks,

Joseph.

P to the S;

Sorry if this has already been discused in the forum, or if this topic is posted in the wrong fourm, I am new at posting topics on TPR and don't know how to search the website for previous posted topics.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect physically it could be done although it would prove very costly as stations would need rebuilding. As has been pointed out the change in riding position will have an effect on the G Forces the body sustains. Going from Standup to sit down the head will move closer to the track by at least a foot which could cause issues.

Once you get over the G Force issue you then have the problem of getting people on and off the ride. If you put a flyer train on a sit down track you now have the problem of how do people get on a ride that is now hanging below floor level, plus all the extra equipment required for putting the ride into fly position. You'd have the reverse prolbem of going from inverted to floorless, plus of course floorless needs the folding floor added.

I'd say the only likely changes are from standup to sitdown, standup to floorless, sitdown to floorless, hyper to sitdown, hyper to floorless, flying to inverted and all vice versa. These options would at face value only require alterations in the form of new flooring and control gear plus modifications to rescue platform on lift hill. Realistically we're unlikely to see any changes of types of train, excluding the known Sheikra conversion.

Because I read in a book of mine that arrow tried to create custom stand up trains for their previous sit down models

Yeah, they did it on the mine train at Six Flags St. Louis, they have never heard a specific reason for removing them.

As for your question, it's been discussed somewhere but I don't remember where. Hypothetically, putting stand up trains on Medusa probably wouldn't work. Medusa is designed to be heartlined for a train with sit down trains. Putting stand up trains on it would probably give it a bizarre experience.

However, there is a Togo coaster in Japan that has both a sit down and stand up train, but it doesn't do anything terrible crazy, unlike most B&Ms.

Sorry if this has already been discused in the forum, or if this topic is posted in the wrong fourm, I am new at posting topics on TPR and don't know how to search the website for previous posted topics.

It's cool Joe. You did everything correct. And for your age you write very well! Thank you!

--Robb

You'd have the reverse prolbem of going from ivnerted to floorless.

I think we're talking things a bit more realistic than that. The only trains that would possibly be able to switch with inverts would be flyers, but then you have the problem of high Gs pushing you into the restraints. Putting floorless trains on a stand-up would probably be most realistic. The Gs would be fine as the heartline would be above you, simply making the transitions more "swayful" (for lack of a better word). I have always wondered if it would be possible to do it, it would definitely make Mantis better.

Yeah the suggestions of the Standup to Floorless seem the most realistic but I wonder what sort of retrofits would need to be made to the station to make it work. I think it might be cost prohibitive although it might be a good way to breathe new life into a coaster and possibly make some of the more forceful standups a bit more re-ridable.

I think standard sit downs could probably be swapped with floorless as well.

My vote went for the Hyper coaster car as they helped to give me the most memorable coaster experience ever. My first ever hyper was La Ronde's Goliath, which of course features the B&M Hyper cars. From the moment we left the lift hill, I was completely out of my seat, experiencing non-stop airtime until we hit the breaking run. That minute of airtime was pure bliss, with extra thanks towards the company that made the ride and the perfectly balanced cars.

Once you get over the G Force issue you then have the problem of getting people on and off the ride. If you put a flyer train on a sit down track you now have the problem of how do people get on a ride that is now hanging below floor level, plus all the extra equipment required for putting the ride into fly position. You'd have the reverse prolbem of going from inverted to floorless, plus of course floorless needs the folding floor added.

I wasn't talking about inverted to floorless or the other way around, but the sit down to flying is possible. Just reverse the hinge of the train to the seats to allow for opposte operation.

Just like the Vekoma Dutchman (do those cars hinge or are they staionary and you have to lay down to get into the seats?)

But, I can understand if you thought that i was thinking that , I did not descript that in very much detail. The part about turing a Inverted into a Floorless is hillarious. i'm thinking about it right now. I'm going to draw a picture... i'll post in a minute or 30.

Joseph.

I am a hard core floorless fan

I think the switches that could be realistically made would be either.. Floorless to Twister or vice versa. Same with Floorless and Stand up or Twister and Stand up.

I do not think it would be possible to go from Flyer to invert or vice versa because as already mentioned in this thread the amount of G's that would be forced upon you would lets say not be comfortable

I wasn't talking about inverted to floorless or the other way around, but the sit down to flying is possible. just reverse the hinge of the train to the seats to allow for opposte operation.

like the verkoma dutchman (do those cars hinge or are they staionary and you have to lay down to get into the seats?)

but i can understand if you thought that i was thinking that , i did not descript that in very much detail.

Joseph.

You would be upside down the majority of the ride if this change was made... It would be interesting though!