75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like more?

• Intamin drop towers
    • S&S drop towers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean Drop Zone at PKD is what 350 feet tall and these don't even reach 300. Not to meniton they arn't neer as fast as Intamin towers.

It is 305ft not 350ft.

the company that made Detonator should be the best (Intamin i think...)

No, I think it was Fabbri that made it.

I have not been on an S+S tower yet but I am going on 1 or 3 this year when I go to Parque Warner Madrid.

I have only been on 1 Intamin drop tower which is one of the best in the world, Hurakan Condor.

330ft, over 70mph, standing/sitting/sitdown tilting and great themeing.

I am going on my second Intamin tower this year, the one at Parque de Atrattiones de Madrid which will be no where near as good as Hurakan Condor.

I think the Inatmin ones look better than the S+S ones but I cant truely judge until this summer when I have been on both.

I think S&S towers are fun where as Intamin towers seem to be more pant staining scary. Apocaylpse stand-up at Drayton Manor is pretty scary but for me Scream at Heide PArk is the worst, I'm sure it goes through LIM boosters half way down as it seems to get an extra burst of acceleration. Perhaps there's just more grease in that area.

I rode La Venganza de Enigma and Dalton Terror. While LVdE is taller than DT, it is far from being as good as it. The falling sensation of S&S towers is much weaker than the Intamins.

While being shot to the top of the tower is cool, it can't match the suspense of being pulled slowly upwards like on the Intamins.

• 6 years later...

I've enjoyed the S&S doubleshots, which provide MASSIVE airtime on the first launch upward/downward, but I personally Prefer the Intamin towers... the freefall seems alot more forceful, and they're the only ride that I still get a little nervous on... I also grew up with Canada's Wonderland being my home park, and at the time, the intamin drop tower was the biggest, most intimidating (or should I say "intaminidating" ) ride there, along with the SLC... Guess that's why to this day, whenever I look at an intamin tower, or SLC, it just seems REALLY menacing.

I'll take an original Freefall over a newer drop tower any day, no matter how tall the new ones are. So, Intamin, sort of!

There is only one of this things in Europe (god I love Movieland Studios in Italy!), and it's just amazing! Superb airtime and really intense! I really don't know why this types of free-falls are vanishing of the planet... Such good rides must last forever. My list:

1. Intamin first gen drop towers

2. Fabri drop tower with 'turbo-drop' (launch you downwards at the top of the ride for more airtime like Detonator in Thorpe Park)

2. Modern Itamin drop towers

3. S&S drop tower program (so no launch)

4. S&S shot&drop program

The only thing that's good about the shot&drop is the launch, that's it. And even when they are high above (like the one in Parque Warner Madrid who's 100 meters high) they are still lame in my opinion...

• 2 months later...

Intamin drop towers are fantastic, but I think I lean more towards S&S overall. I like the "bounciness" of them.

"I really do like the first generation Intamin free fall towers, though. Texas Cliffhanger/Wildcatter at SFOT used to be my favorite ride when I was a kid. The drop on that thing was amazing.

• 10 months later...

Intamin. S&S towers (at least CP's Power Tower) have the potential to have airtime which is less intense than it should be, and said airtime usually is short-lived. The freefall on Intamin towers lasts the whole way down. S&S has the edge in restraints for larger people - I can barely fit on Kings Island's drop tower. That said, the Lex Luther style restraints are better on larger people, but still are tighter at the lap than the S&S variety.

S&S. I like how when the drop begins, you get thrown up into your harness (-1g), then you float down. When I went on Lex Luthor, I didn't really feel anything on the drop other than speed. So for now, I vote S&S. But I will be riding Drop Tower at Kings Island in a couple weeks, so that may change.

Most S&S towers are amazing rides, and they generally fit in my top 10 rides of each park that has one - but I've only ridden one true S&S drop tower (the blue Power Tower at Cedar Point) which holds nothing to any Intamin Drop Towers. Superman at Six Flags over Texas is fantastic as a combo tower, but a single drop on an S&S Tower is not nearly as good.

Intamin wins again...I think I've only ridden three Intamin Drop Towers: Demon Drop at Cedar Point was amazing, Drop Tower at Carowinds was insane despite being fairly small, and Giant Drop at SFGAm blew me away. I can't imagine Zumanjaro or Lex Luthor, those two just seem terrifying.

S&S. I like how when the drop begins, you get thrown up into your harness (-1g),

I know they're supposed to pull -1 G but I didn't really feel it was that much (maybe because it is quite quick)