Toy Story Mania! (Plus Other Cool Disney News) Thread

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robb,

Please, please don't compare this to Monster's Inc.! I have my beef with Disney, I think there is really no decent leadership at the company, but its a step above monster's inc. it really is.

I would expect the ride experience to be better than Monsters, but I don't expect the ride to do any more or less for DCA than what Monsters did.

"Another filler ride to absorb time at..."

I expect the ride experience to be on par, maybe, with Buzz Lightyear. Which is a ride that I do like, but not a ride I feel the need to do every visit unless we have someone who has never ridden it or we have extra time.

--Robb

I have to admit, I was disappointed by the video. Too many screens, not enough sets. However, Monsters Inc. is an example of how a dark ride comprised entirely of sets isn't always great. As for Midway Mania, the constant start/stop motion of the vehicles, stopping in front of the target screens makes it seem it's not very challenging. A self-esteem booster for kids, perhaps. The design of the targets seems to be of the lowest common denominator, as well.

In the ride's defense, it was AWESOME! I rode it yesterday three times and had a blast. The 3-D screens are actualy really well done and realistic and entertaining. Never a dull moment. I was surprised as well, though, when I finally saw what it was, BUT it was a pleasant surprise and still soo much fun. Better than Buzz Lightyear and Men In Black for sure!

In the ride's defense, it was AWESOME! I rode it yesterday three times and had a blast. The 3-D screens are actualy really well done and realistic and entertaining. Never a dull moment. I was surprised as well, though, when I finally saw what it was, BUT it was a pleasant surprise and still soo much fun. Better than Buzz Lightyear and Men In Black for sure!

Yaaay! This is how I feel too. MIB is nice, but this is so much better.

As I have two toddlers, this ride looks like a winner for my family!

We just spent a couple of days at Silver Dollar City...my four year old's favorite ride was the flooded mine. At King's Island it was Scooby's Ghost Blasters.

I haven't had the opportunity to get my son and daughter to a Disney park, but I can definitely see this as an instant favorite in my family.

That being said, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to ride if the kids weren't with me

I got to check it out yesterday during the passholder preview. Even then, it had a bit of a wait, though the queue theming was pretty cool, especially the Mr. Potato Head, who even interacts with the people in line.

The ride itself is similar to the Pirates attraction at DisneyQuest. Instead of using a trigger, riders pull on a "rope" on the back of the guns to fire them.

Another nice touch was that when ride vehicles were backed up, the ride vehicle would go into "Hold Time", in which game would continue, but without scoring.

I will post pictures soon

^ I met up with Will and Erik Johnson yesterday at the Studios for the passholder's preivew. I was surprised how long of a wait it was during the passholder's event - 70 minutes! Thank God, 99% of the queue was inside in air-conditioning. As others have mentioned, the queue was very bright, and has lots of things to look at. Very cute. Should keep the little ones entertained throughout the line. Mr. Potato Head was very cool and the highlight of the attraction. The ride itself was as like Will said above, if you have been on the Pirates attraction at Disneyquest, it's the same type of pull-string cannon blaster. The ride was fun. You just move up and down hallways stopping in front of screens playing the different games. The 3D effects were cool and there were a quite a few interactive surprises during each of the games. I think this will be a good ride for the entire family. I probably wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for this. I personally like Men In Black because there is more to look at and the sets are very immersive. Toy Story Mania is a true video game ride. You just move from one screen to another. If you like video games you'll love it. One of the best parts of the attraction were the cast members. They were very enthusiastic and really made the attraction a lot more fun.

For those of you who have been on it...

I have heard conflicting thoughts on bringing small children on the ride. I know that it doesn't have a height restriction but will it be okay for KidTums? Keep in mind she's been on all of the Bugs Bunny World rides and Muppet Vision 4D. I know she won't keep on the 3D glasses though so that may be a problem.

While the ride does not have any of the insane spinning like Men In Black, there were a few times that the ride vehicle does whip itself around a couple of tight turns. I think you may want to wait with her a little longer, probably at least until she is 2. I do not remember seeing any other really small children on the ride, but I also do not remember seeing any kinds of warnings or height restrictions for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some info on the overall refurbishment, I think ALL these ideas are going to help the park grow. I really like the idea of changing the video for Soarin, granted the one they have now is great, it's time to change it. Overall, this will be cooler than it is now!

>>Jake

http://micechat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2477275&postcount=220

here's a project tracker for Ya'll

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/disneys_california_adventure_project_tracker-81393.html

So I've heard the official opening of Toy Story Mania is tomorrow the 31st. I know it has been open for the last few weeks, but does anyone know if the park is going to do a special grand opening ceremony? The reason I ask is, tomorrow I'm going to The Studios and Epcot with friends that haven't been on it yet. We were going to go straight to Mania after opening. Just want to make sure it will open at park opening and not later in the day as part of a special event. I went on it during the passholder's preview and really don't want to have to wait a long time. I'm sure they'll have the fast pass running? Anyone have any info on the "official opening"? Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I've heard the official opening of Toy Story Mania is tomorrow the 31st. I know it has been open for the last few weeks, but does anyone know if the park is going to do a special grand opening ceremony? The reason I ask is, tomorrow I'm going to The Studios and Epcot with friends that haven't been on it yet. We were going to go straight to Mania after opening. Just want to make sure it will open at park opening and not later in the day as part of a special event. I went on it during the passholder's preview and really don't want to have to wait a long time. I'm sure they'll have the fast pass running? Anyone have any info on the "official opening"? Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks!

The fast pass is confirmed to be running now, no idea about a grand opening event though.

• 11 months later...