TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toy Story Mania! (Plus Other Cool Disney News) Thread

I don't think that you can base your judgment on the video alone. Remember, the quality isn't terrific, we're missing out on a lot of the 3D stuff, and from my experience watching a YouTube video isn't the best way to experience an attraction.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm not impressed. I saw golf simulators at Opry Mills yesterday that were basically this same thing, sans track and 3d. Do I see the charm of Peter Pan's Flight or the detailed models and scenes? No. I see another glorified ride movie/flash game with some extra gimmicks and not much substance. Most of the sculpture/theming was outside in the que. The inside area was a few rows of screens.

Granted I work with video, 3d models, and simulators and love them, but this could be so much better in my ultimately useless opinion.

In short, I have enough of a picture to know what the ride is like, and choose to spend my time on other attractions. That's all.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Granted I work with video, 3d models, and simulators and love them, but this could be so much better in my ultimately useless opinion.

In short, I have enough of a picture to know what the ride is like, and choose to spend my time on other attractions. That's all.

Well, I make video games for a living and also see some very high end 3D stuff every day and to me it seems like you are being a bit harsh. While I too am NOT impressed with what I see in that video, I really don't see how you can make a judgement call that you'd rather spend time at other attractions by watching a video.

It *could* work really well once you're on it. But having said that....

--Robb "Looks like something I can play on my Wii..." Alvey

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

Well, I make video games for a living and also see some very high end 3D stuff every day and to me it seems like you are being a bit harsh. I really don't see how you can make a judgement call that you'd rather spend time at other attractions by watching a video.

It *could* work really well once you're on it. But having said that....

EDIT:

I know my likes and dislikes well. The Toy Story Mania ride video just didn't appeal, nor did it make me want to ride. Conversely, the Kennywood Ghostwood Estate video did appeal, and made me want to ride that attraction. It's that simple. In the end, no worries and all's well. Besides, I'm the rapids fan on a coaster forum, so you know my priorities are screwed up. Lol!;)

And for those that want to post that you can play this on your Wii, I ask this: Does you Wii have 3D technology, has the ability to move and spin, and have state-of-the-art video and surround sound? If you do, I want to know.

I missed this comment earlier. Having actually developed a game for the Wii I can tell you that the system actually DOES support 3D technology if a game publisher ever wanted to use it. And as far as state-of-the-art video and sound, well, a lot of it depends on how you USE it. I would say there are some games on the Wii that look DAMN GOOD for the older graphics chipset that are in there.

And as for moving and spinning around? You can ABSOLUTELY do that on your Wii! In fact, there are some games which REQUIRE you to do similar actions with your Wiimote!

And compared to the PS3 and 360, I'd say those two systems could easily produce what I see on the screens of TSM. It's hard to tell the actual resolution of the art from the video, but if the Wii couldn't do it, those other two systems absolutely could.

I can totally see Disney Interactive coming out with a video game version of this ride! The consumer products people would eat that up!

--Robb "Carnival Games on the Wii isn't that far off...." Alvey

Whoever shot the video apparently doesn't understand how 3D glasses work, because holding the glasses in front of the camera lense is not going to reproduce the effect they will have on your eyes. That is about all that's giving me hope that this attraction will be MUCH better in person than what's conveyed in the video. I had much higher expectations for it than what comes across in the video, but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually tried it in person. I am also lowering my expectations though, so as not to be disappointed. Time will tell.

Whoever shot the video apparently doesn't understand how 3D glasses work, because holding the glasses in front of the camera lense is not going to reproduce the effect they will have on your eyes.

Yeah, I was LMAO at that too.

That is about all that's giving me hope that this attraction will be MUCH better in person than what's conveyed in the video.

Agreed.

--Robb

[

--Robb "Carnival Games on the Wii isn't that far off...." Alvey

I've already got Carnival Games on my Wii?! or did you mean Carnival Games from this ride?

I can't say I was that impressed with the video, although Potato Head looks really good, but I think I'd still give it a try because I don't think it's the kind of attraction that would work if you filmed it! I think of it this way, if you filmed mission space or star tours or many other disney rides then they would look terrible but when you ride it in person it is a whole different experiences, you couldn't film 'it's tough to be a bug' because it would look like a dodgy pirate dvd of Bugs Life, but it was still a pretty fun 3d Film when you watch it at AK for the first time!

That's just my opinion though!

Matt

I'm thinking the point of showing it through the one lens was so that it wasn't "blurry" like the rest of the video to give an idea of the video quality; not necessarily trying to make it look 3-D for the viewer. I will say that RealD is far less "blurry" then older 3-D technology for those people who can't use the glasses for whatever reason, and I'm sure that's what they are using for the ride.

I definitely think they were aiming for more of a C or even D ticket with this ride much less an E ticket quality attraction. It looks like fun though, nothing amazing or groundbreaking, but still fun. I will definitely agree with Robb in that this wasn't what I was expecting, not expecting anything, yet expecting more. Did that make sense? I don't know how long I would wait for this, but it won'tbe long and it won't be often. Probably the same amount as I do for Buzz now.

But does anyone else see the beauty of this attraction for Disney? Like Tower of Terror V2, it's just a monitor that can (and definitely will) be changed out years down the road. With some redressing, they can bring in a whole new set of games or characters when this thing gets a bit stale and make it "new" for them. Think of the Holiday Layovers they could do! think of the merchandise! Oh wait, I guess that's the point of most newer Disney rides isn't it? Ok, I'm tired and rambling now. Good job Disney getting another ride into DCA!

I'm thinking the point of showing it through the one lens was so that it wasn't "blurry" like the rest of the video to give an idea of the video quality; not necessarily trying to make it look 3-D for the viewer.

I have to wonder if that was the intention, but that's a fair assessment and one that I must admit I hadn't considered.

I will definitely agree with Robb in that this wasn't what I was expecting, not expecting anything, yet expecting more. Did that make sense?

That made perfect sense to me and I agree 100%.

it's just a monitor that can (and definitely will) be changed out years down the road. With some redressing, they can bring in a whole new set of games or characters when this thing gets a bit stale and make it "new" for them.

Valid point, but couldn't the same be said of Star Tours? Yet here it is, I don't even know how many years later (I rode Star Tours the season it opened, whenever that was), and it's still the same exact show, so I've got to wonder..

All in all, you make some good points though. I really want to like this attraction, and I'm excited that Disney is trying to fix up DCA. The video was just kind of a let down is all.

Color me unimpressed.

I am guessing the ride will be better in person, just not what I was expexting in the least. The edges of the sceens are soooo visible. Even in Delta Dream Flight and the Mexican boat ride (have no idea on the name), they were very careful to hide the edges of the screens to make the experience more in depth. IT was cheaply done, but it was done. I was expecting that trend to continue. They could have even done painted plywood cutouts like the Simpsons did on the preshow tv's.

Spin a bit, shoot at an awesomely huge tv, spin a bit shoot at another awesomely huge tv.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this attraction, but I think it was a LOT more than that. I looks more like something that would be PERFECT for DisneyQuest, but as a major attraction for a park? I'm not sure.

Then again that begs the question, is this SUPPOSED to be a "major?"

I think I was expecting something more like Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters that had the screens incorporated into the sets, not that the TV screens *ARE* the sets. I guess I was expecting "Spider Man meets Men In Black." I think I was wrong.

I know you can't judge it on a video, which is fine, I'm not passing judgement, but you can "learn" a lot from a video, and what I've learned from watching that is that I need to lower my expectation....

--Robb "I feel like I can play this on my Wii..." Alvey

its definitely not a major attraction, but if any Disney Park needs any form of attraction, such as Toy Story Mania, its definitely California Adventure. At the very least it'll attract more guests there than before hopefully.

I dont think anyone was expecting anything of this, other than its Disney, so its got to be somewhat of an enjoyable ride. The carnival theming (sort of) is kinda nice after all.

I was definately expecting something different, and a lot more. I thought the ride vehicles would move more than they do, they just kind of coast through the building instead of really moving like MIB or SPiderman. But I guess this isn't MIB or Spiderman either so we'll see. I'll definately give it a few rides when I'm down in September but definately doesn't look as good as I though it would be. Or as good as a 70 Million dollar attraction should be.

I'm still waiting for the Hollywood Studios Pixar SPinning coaster

I guess I'm really let down by this.

I mean they make an AWESOME looking building. They put a state-of-the-art Mr. Potatohead in the queue line, and then they make a ride out of rolling desk chair in front of video screens.

Think back to the "Baby Tatsu" video. Put KT in a desk chair, going past several video game consoles with shooting arcade games:

viola' - Baby Toy Story Mania.

With such an awesome building, they'd be better off putting in real arcade games such as "Fascination" and "Skeeball". At least they could generate some revenue there.

After the novelty has worn off, it will end up being like Buzz, even on the busiest days in August, pretty much a 10-15 minute wait at most.

Yes, the technology may be cutting edge. But who wants to pay $59 (or whatever) to play a video game, that they can play with better interactive enjoyment at home on a Wii, PS3 or 360?

I won't be rushing over to do anything other than enjoy Mr. Potatohead.

JJ

Hmm--oddly enough, based on some of the concept art, this ride is pretty much what I expected (I just thought there would be a few more animatronics involved in the show building).

Call it a "D" ticket attraction (while Buzz is a "C"--but still fun).

^ Yeah I agree! But I can see why people are unimpressed because they did hype it up to be alot better than what it is.

I think that it looks fun and is kind of a "Filler ride" by that I mean, something you ride inbetween your fastpast times or while waiting for your dinner reservations. Saying that though, I do think it will have huge appeal for families as its something they can ride together and probably have some good banter with!

I reckon they have done it this way is so they can update it easily, isn't there going to be a Toy Story 3? and with that there will probably be new characters/new relationships, so I suppose its a way to get them in there and then the ride doesn't seem dated.

The situation with this ride reminds me of back when I used to play console RPGs. There was always debate about whether linear or non-linear RPGs were better. In terms of linear games, you'd have stuff like Final Fantasy 7 where you felt somewhat like you were just mashing a few buttons in between FMV segments. Non-linear games tended to be more open ended, didn't tell much of a story, and often had no real ending.

Disney, it seems, has fallen into the trap of making TSM a bit too non-linear. In trying to make a dynamic, open-ended attraction that keeps the guests coming back for a unique experience, Disney has sacrificed a quality and immersive experience for the sake of flexibility. Did they ever take a step back and think "we're spending $70 million to just run people through a bunch of TV screens"? With MiB just across town, why is Disney trying to put out an obviously inferior interactive dark ride some 8 years later?

I wont be rushing out to Orlando to ride this. It just feels like more could have been done. Maybe more animatronics, more spinning, more something! Still the best dark ride in Orlando is Spiderman.

I predict 2009 will be a slow year for Disney. Universal will be the head honcho with Hollywood coaster, Harry Potter and the Simpsons. I hope Disney has something up their sleeves for 2010.

Hmm--oddly enough, based on some of the concept art, this ride is pretty much what I expected (I just thought there would be a few more animatronics involved in the show building).

It's exactly what I expected. I seen the ride simulation of it before it came out somewhere. It might have had something to do with IAAPA. I'm not sure. I forget where.

I predict 2009 will be a slow year for Disney. Universal will be the head honcho with Hollywood coaster, Harry Potter and the Simpsons. I hope Disney has something up their sleeves for 2010.

Heck yeah! Even though Universal would never beat Disney in total attendance (and it would suck if they did because a 30k day at IOA and USF is insanity) it looks like '09 and '10 are going to be absolutely HUGE years for both those parks.

Then down the road you have Seaworld which will have Manta or whatever open up.

Down further in Disney.. well.. not too much going on as of now. Except for that high class, $300 a person "Night Kingdom" thing. Which just seems really.. MEH... that's a whole new topic though. Poor Walt.

Oh yeah.. TSM.. not to beat a dead horse but I was also a little baffled by the video. What happened to this being the "Spiderman killer" that it was hyped up to be a few years ago?

I don't mind the screens as long as they get the job done.. but it seems like the whole ride is missing transitions! In Spiderman you'd spin around and seamlessly be in the next scene. TSM is a hallway.

I need to watch the video again, but this "hallway of screens" idea could work if each screen is themed to a carnival booth. As in you have the screen and then some kind of booth like structure wrapping around the screen. So that you could, in essence forget the screen was there altogether. That would also provide a good transition - you're just going from booth to booth playing your favorite carnival games!

As someone who actually rode this twice on Friday, I was impressed. Sure, it is not going to change the world or be the end-all-be-all of theme park rides, but for what it was, it was fun.

Basically, the Pirates attraction from DisneyQuest with moving cars. Very interactive, kind of tiring after hitting all of the targets, and a few surprises thrown in. A vast improvement over Buzz Lightyear. And the queue line is very detailed with lots of huge replicas of children's games. AND they have a single rider line!!

Note: while riding and waiting in the line, we were told many times "no pictures of video taping allowed." I am surprised Disney has not taken down the video like Universal did for The Simpsons. Oh well....