TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toy Story Mania! (Plus Other Cool Disney News) Thread

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^I would like to think and hope that too...but anytime you have moving vehicles, 3D glasses, guns. I worry it could be more like an Indy, MiB, or Spiderman Height Restriction.

Disney doesn't have the best record right now for creating 'childrens' rides with good height restrictions (cough Stitch cough).

Another thing I'll be interested to see once this ride opens is how it deals with flash photography.

When we played "Where's the Fire?!" at Epcot, which uses the prototype technology for this ride, the attendant was very explicit about telling us there was no flash photography. My guess is the light-technology involved in the ride would be sensitive to a flash.

Does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, what problem arises when you 'flash' the screens?

I know they gave-up on their "no flash photography" rule on POTC, after the redo, after about 30-minutes of operation. It will be interesting to see how this ride plays out.

-Jahan

I'm more curious to see the differences between the DCA and MGM version of Toy Story Mania.

I don't expect a big difference between the two except in one or two scenes. The nice thing about this attraction is that it is modular in form, allowing it to be modified and changed with very little difficulty.

Well this is interesting. With Toy Story being at MGM and DCA , Disney will have to change some stuff . ( Just like Buzz Lightyear ) I am still wondering about the new water show, and Carland. If that is the real name of the new land , then i am dissapointed. I know Disney could have a better name then that. But we shall have to wait!

^I would like to think and hope that too...but anytime you have moving vehicles, 3D glasses, guns. I worry it could be more like an Indy, MiB, or Spiderman Height Restriction.

Disney doesn't have the best record right now for creating 'childrens' rides with good height restrictions (cough Stitch cough).

Looking at the concept art, it looks less like Spiderman and more like a dispatched version of Buzz. It's a shooting dark ride that uses the screens themselves instead of physical targets. It looks like the 3D effects are being used more for depth in the screens so it doesn't look like a video and for "ricochet" of whatever you're shooting. Just by design alone, I sincerely doubt that it's going to be like Indy or Spiderman. MiB might be closer, but I'm thinking it's their attempt to add a Buzz style ride where Buzz does not make sense thematically. Buzz, in my estimation, has been the most successful addition to the Magic Kingdom lineup of attractions in all the Kingdoms, so now they want to see if the same ride works out in the other parks. In my opinion, I doubt that the ride will have a height restriction at all.

I thought that since they are working in, around, behind and through Screamin' in DCA (oops - pardon - Rockin'!) and the old Millionaire Bldg. at WDW/Studios is just a 'normaly shaped' building, it 'might' make for two different versions of entrances and queueing setups...

Main ride itself could probably be the same in both, hmmm?

I'm excited about the 3D aspect of the ride; otherwise, the attraction seems rather dry and uninspiried--and very similar to Buzz's Space Ranger Spin.

From my experience working at our IMAX theatre, there are two types of 3D: good and bad. Good 3D is totally immersive and all-encompassing; bad 3D doesn't have much immersion and only adds a tad bit of depth of field to the image. If this ride has 'good' 3D, I can see it being very cool.

I simply hope that this attraction doesn't use the Omnimover system, which I thought was very intrusive on the experience of Buzz. I just think a ride more similar to Men In Black or Spiderman would have been a better choice, espeically DCA, which needs some serious state-of-the-art attractions to get people drawn in.

what will be cool is that the whole attraction will be like a very expensive 3D video game. You'll shoot a hockey puck at the screen and the hockey puck could bouce off and fly at your face. It will definately be a great attraction and I think people will be happy with the addition, though people will always be disappointed that they went the pixar route for the 4th year in a row. (Buzz, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Toy Story Mania, and for a 5th year in a row, they very well could, and most likely will, end up having Carland".) And its not like the problem is that Disney isn't willing to spend the money. These attractions sound expensive and well thought out. But really stapling something like Cars which wasn't even that big of a success compared to the other Pixar movies onto what will be such a huge, and likely expensive attraction is a mistake, imo. They should have gone with a new and creative story.

I like the Cars ride. Although I'm sick of all the stinking Pixar influenced rides. It's gotten out of control.

The problem is...what properties do you make rides from? I agree with Stuart! What's left? Keep in mind that a major component of the original Disneyland concept was to be an extension of the film properties.

While I know there are still some good Disney ones out there, even Aladdin, Lion King, and Little Mermaid are now at least a generation old.

In the late 80s and early 90s Disney was making rides based on Lucas properties because that's what was hot and consumers identified with, and people were worried that the parks would turn into "Lucasland"

Remember, within 10 years we had Captain EO in 3 parks, Star Tours in 4 parks, Indy Stunt Show, Indy Dark Ride, Indy Roller Coaster, etc, etc..... All Lucas.

Then in 1995 Toy Story comes out, and then is followed up by a long streak of Pixar hits. So it would seem the shift went from Lucas to Pixar. (besides they pretty much ran out of Lucas movies anyway!)

When was the last Disney movie that wasn't a Pixar release that as actually was a hit? Lilo & Stitch? Well, they did a ride based on that!

Before Stitch? Um....Tarzan? Lion King? It goes a ways back.

And to go back to the "classics", well, as much as I'd like to see that happen to, Splash Mountain was a testament that people just don't know some of the classics. Granted, Song of the South hasn't been re-released in a VERY long time, but still....how many of the recognizable classics are left to make a ride out of? Dalmations? Rescuers? Hmmm....

I agree the Pixar madness is a bit much, but at least they are now making rides out of properties that were released by Disney.

--Robb "Could be worse....Brave Little Toaster: The Ride!" Alvey

How 'bout a "That's So Raven" ride?

In other news, it sounds like they're going to build a Del Coranodo inspired hotel on the DLR next to DCA

http://www.o-meon.com/pages/news%26features/-2007/n%26f_02-05-07.html

And Al Lutz gives an insight into DCA's pace making plan.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al013007a.htm

Also an interview with DLR President Ed Grier from the OC Business Journal which mentions Disney's interest in a 3rd gate.

http://disneyenquirer.com/NewsArticle-577

^ You shouldn't base an entire region or religion off of a small group of extremists. Just because Bahrain is in the Middle East, does not mean its swarming with terrorists. Nor does it mean it would be a target for terrorists. I have been to the country a couple times and it isn’t that bad. Well, lots of sand, hot and nothing to do. But other than that, I never felt like I was in immediate danger walking around the streets alone or with a friend.