TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toy Story Mania! (Plus Other Cool Disney News) Thread

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carland will either be put in the Lion King "overflow" parking lot or where maddness currently stands. Apparently they are taking out Maddness, Rusty, and other lameo rides"jumpin Jellyfish" as they attemp to "fix" the pier so something is going to be there. Hopefully it will be a huge stage so Highschool Musical can be performed live every day!!...... that was a joke.... if dca would just get ride of that horrible parade/ show it would inprove the park by 10 times in my book. I think that idea was as good as nemo on rollerskates.... anyways I'm looking forward to some kind of improvement on DCA, exept that they have to take out poor maddness

And also, although it sounds really exciting and promising to put all of this extra effort into DCA, I find it kind of shadey that they would release all these plans to the public when they were considering turning DCA into a non ticketed park(although the time shares sounded fun)just a couple of months ago . Is it just me?

-Allison"my birthday is in 2 hours" Alvarez

I like the Cars ride. Although I'm sick of all the stinking Pixar influenced rides. It's gotten out of control.

I'm still sad about Tom Sawyer. Although I didn't often frequent the island, it was one of my favorite Disney movies. I always smiled when I saw the fence painted with Tom hearts Becky.

Well, as much as I'm tired of the Pixar rides, what else do that have that they can create synergy with? What non-Pixar Disney family movie has been successful enough that they could use? I know they could use the amazing concept of creating something using an original story, but that doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. They're starting to again with Everest, but the Pixar ones seem to be easier, less expensive to design, and are known home runs with audiences. Or at least ground rule doubles.

With Tom Sawyer, it's not going to be the entire island. It's only going to be a section of the island. I'm just curious how, and if, they're going to do the Pirates' Cove at WDW. They've mentioned that they want to, but it doesn't make sense. Now maybe if they did river pirates and went down to the river pirate cave that you see on the Liberty Belle, then that would be cool.

I think that's my beef with the POTC remake of the island. I just don't see it fitting in at the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland and Liberty Square areas.

As for Pixar, you are correct. Disney really hasn't had any real animated blockbusters or live action films to tie rides in with. Although my favorites have always been the rides with no ties to movies. Like BTMRR, HM, SM, the Jungle Cruise.

I like the Cars ride. Although I'm sick of all the stinking Pixar influenced rides. It's gotten out of control.

The problem is...what properties do you make rides from? I agree with Stuart! What's left? Keep in mind that a major component of the original Disneyland concept was to be an extension of the film properties.

While I know there are still some good Disney ones out there, even Aladdin, Lion King, and Little Mermaid are now at least a generation old.

In the late 80s and early 90s Disney was making rides based on Lucas properties because that's what was hot and consumers identified with, and people were worried that the parks would turn into "Lucasland"

Remember, within 10 years we had Captain EO in 3 parks, Star Tours in 4 parks, Indy Stunt Show, Indy Dark Ride, Indy Roller Coaster, etc, etc..... All Lucas.

Then in 1995 Toy Story comes out, and then is followed up by a long streak of Pixar hits. So it would seem the shift went from Lucas to Pixar. (besides they pretty much ran out of Lucas movies anyway!)

When was the last Disney movie that wasn't a Pixar release that as actually was a hit? Lilo & Stitch? Well, they did a ride based on that!

Before Stitch? Um....Tarzan? Lion King? It goes a ways back.

And to go back to the "classics", well, as much as I'd like to see that happen to, Splash Mountain was a testament that people just don't know some of the classics. Granted, Song of the South hasn't been re-released in a VERY long time, but still....how many of the recognizable classics are left to make a ride out of? Dalmations? Rescuers? Hmmm....

I agree the Pixar madness is a bit much, but at least they are now making rides out of properties that were released by Disney.

--Robb "Could be worse....Brave Little Toaster: The Ride!" Alvey

i maybe smokin something, but i kinda remember hearing that we'd get a version of Philharmagic in California, could that be the water show sketch? And didnt Disney just buy a bunch of land down the road from DCA for a new water park (something to rival DisneySeas)?

EDIT: i just remembered, i saw the article that Muppet 3D in DCA was leaving to make way for Philharmagic on Miceage. (thats probably also where i read the other info)

p.s. doesnt the Mtn w/bridge on the right side of the Pirate land pic, slightly resemble Splash Mtn?

^^ Robb, a thought on what you said about running out of Lucas movies. I was just thinking that since Indy 4 is a go, if anything special would be done to any of the Indy rides throughout the Disney parks (more specificaly, Disneyland). Not a make over of the ride. But maybe just fix all the effects that no longer work? Just a random thought.

^^ Totally agree Robb. There hasn't been a big enough Disney "classic" hit to feature a ride of. I'm just feeling like everything has to have Pixar tie in when it's not necessary. Was Nemo really needed for The Living Seas? Sea Base Alpha could of still been contemporary with a bit of face lift in technology and paint.

Cars will fit in nicely, I think. I like the tie with Route 66 it would make sense. Throwing Pixar characters all over and into areas they don't have much of a tie in is getting on my nerves. What do Buzz and Woody have to do with Tomorrowland? Or Mike and Scully? At least Stitch is an alien.

In down with the use of the money making characters, I'd like to see Disney put them to use in more creative ways, and in ways that fit into the themed areas.

Matt "Hey, I like the Brave Little Toaster" Jacobs

Throwing Pixar characters all over and into areas they don't have much of a tie in is getting on my nerves. What do Buzz and Woody have to do with Tomorrowland? Or Mike and Scully? At least Stitch is an alien.

In down with the use of the money making characters, I'd like to see Disney put them to use in more creative ways, and in ways that fit into the themed areas.

Matt "Hey, I like the Brave Little Toaster" Jacobs

I agree wholeheartedly. From the moment they announced Laugh Floor, I ranted to anyone who would listen on how it was a bad idea. The only possible connection I can think of is that Monstropolis is another world with strange creatures and Tomorrowland deals with other worlds and strange creatures. I know, that's the stretch of stretches. Now, to their credit, Woody is no where to be found at the Buzz attractions. It's strictly Buzz and Buzz fits Tomorrowland very well. Woody is over in Frontierland generally, if you want to stick to Magic Kingdom. Stitch...well that building's a rotating door of attractions anyway. It'll probably be completely changed in a couple years, looking at the pattern, probably for a WALL• E attraction. BTW: WALL• E is Pixar's 2008 movie.

Stuart "I still want my Tron themed Booster Bike!" Newsom

I'm still waiting for Tron: The ride. Or The Black Hole: The Ride.

OR.....

Pulp Fiction: The Mutha F**kin Ride

Jackie Brown: The Ride

Good Will Hunting: The Ride

Those were all "Disney movies."

Also, I'm not so quick to buy into the whole idea of Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc. being a generation behind now. Peter Pan, and Winnie the Pooh continue to have popular dark rides, and those characters haven't released anything hugely significant in decades. And really, the same could actually be said for *gasp* Mickey Mouse, if you think about it. I understand the whole idea of keeping things somewhat current, but why should there be an expiration date on past important successes of the company? The Little Mermaid dark ride that was scrapped would've been a huge success for years to come. I just don't see the need to make almost every new attraction have a Pixar basis.

Wait, I just realized how lucky we were that Ben Affleck wasn't an animatronic on Armageddon:The Ride. Whew. Close one there. Eh, Pixar's not so bad afterall, I guess.

EDIT: ^He beat me to the Tron thing. Nice job!

Also, I'm not so quick to buy into the whole idea of Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc. being a generation behind now. Peter Pan, and Winnie the Pooh continue to have popular dark rides, and those characters haven't released anything hugely significant in decades. And really, the same could actually be said for *gasp* Mickey Mouse, if you think about it. I understand the whole idea of keeping things somewhat current, but why should there be an expiration date on past important successes of the company?

I agree for the most part. There isn't an expiration date for things already built, but building new on older licenses is very difficult. Lion King is used pretty darn effectively for Festival of the Lion King, but I can't imagine a Lion King based attraction opening now. I've seen the Pride Mountain fan idea, which looks cool, but there's no way that would work out. Pooh and Mickey get a pass mainly because they are cornerstone characters for the company. They're so into the American and much of the World's culture that they don't need to do anything new to be relevant.

Personally, I still think that Aladdin got the short end of the stick. It never really got anything. It got a sorta kinda Broadway show, a forever closed space, a partial overlay in WDW's Tiki and a Zamperla flat ride. Personally, I think Aladdin would be amazing for a dark ride. Imagine, riding on a magic carpet over Agrabah, through the Cave of Wonders, running into Jafar, all that stuff. I'm personally not thinking of a Peter Pan style ride but a system that is still ground based but the car actually rises and falls. Placement, take over WDW Tiki and the Sunshine Tree, all the way over and all the way back, and you could fit a nice sized dark ride in there.

The Little Mermaid dark ride that was scrapped would've been a huge success for years to come. I just don't see the need to make almost every new attraction have a Pixar basis.

And they used the ideas for that Little Mermaid dark ride for Nemo. I never heard the end of that from my wanna be Imagineer CM friends. It was treated like a sort of blasphemy and frankly drove me crazy. They also can use original ideas elsewhere, namely Tokyo Disneysea, to put a nice little shot in the arm in the States. I still predict, and hopefully my prediction will come true, that Storm Runner will be the replacement for Wonders of Life. It just seems to fit really well there.

EDIT: ^He beat me to the Tron thing. Nice job!

Heheh, thanks.

Amazing! I always get so excited when I see Disney concept art! DCA really needs a few shots in the arm and CARS and So Ca seem to go in hand so it makes sense. Let's hope they do it right and not whore it out to the accountants.

All the Pixar placement, though, is begining to wear a little thin. Does EVERYthing have to tie in? That's what is so refreshing about Expedition Everest-no tie in!

^^ Nemo is nothing like The little mermaid, but for the record, in case you guys were wondering, The little mermaid was suppose to go where Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin sits at now, back when Disney had some other plans for that area before they decided on Toon Town.

But I, like many other people, do feel that Disney needs to do something different besides pixar. Why? Mainly because it really takes a large chunk of the originality in thier story when they completely rip an idea from a movie and put it into an attraction. Even rides like Star Tours or Indiana Jones don't completely rip off the movie, they have thier own unique story lines which tie in key moments from the movie into the attraction. (IE the boulder in Indiana Jones, and the Death Star in Star Tours) But Disney doesn't really do that any more (save Toy Story Mania, but they already made a Toy Story shooter ride at Disneyland, and I don't see what the problem would have been just to have made it "Midway Mania" or "Disney's Midway Mania" which could have incorporated all sorts of disney characters into the attraction.)

^^ Nemo is nothing like The little mermaid, but for the record, in case you guys were wondering, The little mermaid was suppose to go where Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin sits at now, back when Disney had some other plans for that area before they decided on Toon Town.

Little Mermaid was also supposed to be in Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris, along with the Tiki style Beauty and the Beast show. However, when you go through the queue for The Seas with Nemo and Friends, the entire queue design is almost exactly the same queue for The Little Mermaid ride, down to the bobbing boat. In the Nemo queue, it's "the butt" and for Little Mermaid it was supposed to be Prince Eric's ship. Trust me, I heard all about it.

Anyways, the Cars ride looks cool. I'm looking forward to a nice, mostly original ride for DCA.

And the new park artwork is clearly for a DisneySea. You can see the aforementioned Mermaid Lagoon rising out of the water and what looks like some kind of Mediterranean/pirate town area (plus plenty of water), but also note what looks like Lost River Delta on the top right between the town and the mountain-thing. And it's just a hunch, but I'd bet that the the round UFO looking thing is actually the Aquasphere with some kind of raised platform/track around it. And behind that you can see some golden domes which suggest the Arabian Coast theme. I don't have any definite ideas on what the mountain-thing is, but I'd put my random bet on some kind of mythology mountain.

Its late and I just saw this post, I also did not get to read everything. I know there is a lot of Pixar in the parks now, but wasn't Pixar bought out by Disney recently....I thought I remember that happening. Oh well, here is what I think everything will go into:

Carland = Next DCA E Ticket and surrounding development retheme and "Placemaking". Hopefully in the Route 66 area.

New Urban Development = Could be any big city in America, like to host any stage shows or concerts.

Toy Story Live = Traveling show for civic arenas and auditoriums, kind of like current Disney On Ice.

Pirate Themed Adventure = The new Pirates of the Caribbean miniland at Hong Kong Disneyland. Or maybe Tom Sawyer Island after they get done with that Pirates Lair thing this winter/spring.

Concept for new Disney theme park = This doesn't look like Shanghai. I would think this is a new concept in Disney parks meant for mid-sized markets like Australia, Singapore, Brazil, etc. I had heard Shanghai was to be a Disneyland style park.

New Nighttime Water Spectacular = "Wonderful World of Color" and is based off a TV program. This looks pretty colorful to me, and is probably headed to DCA.

Toy Story Midway Mania = This is clearly DCA and MGM Studios.

Monsters Inc. Dark Ride = This is clearly Tokyo Disneyland. Al Lutz has mentioned the Tokyo version of Monsters Inc. currently being built in their Tomorrowland uses the same technology as Midway Mania.

^ DCA is getting a "Cars" themed thrill ride

But dammit, I want something on the scale of awsomeness that Journey to the Center of the earth. That's thinking out of the box, imo, because it's not just another "car" themed attraction like its cousin is at Epcot, but instead they used the technology that they had developed to tell a completely different story, and it brings you to a place that you would never find in the real world, which, imo, is why its probably one of the Imagineers best work.