TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have You Ever Worked At An Amusement/Theme Park?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decide if I should apply to work for Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom this summer. I think it would be fun and they seem to have some nice benefits (obviously free season pass and also for SFKK employees free Holiday World tickets ). However, I've heard complants from some friends about Six Flags hospitality and just working all summer out in the heat. I've never had a job before and I'm wondering if this is a good place to start? I am also very active in sports and would like to know if they are flexible with their employees choosing hours and days to work? Also, do you know if you can become a ride opp or some other exciting job your first year and at the age of 17? I don't want to apply and find out that I will be sweeping pathways and emptying trash cans all summer. Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

~ Kevin "still pondering" Conley

In 1976 a bunch of friends and me went to Six Flags Astrosworld to apply for a job. Everyone got a call for a second interview before we got home except me. So I called as if they called me and they said "we dont have any record that we called u" and i said well my mother said u all called and left this number. So they told me well if we called then it was for a second interview and for me to come in. So I did and I ended up getting a Foreman position immediatly on the worlds#1 rollercoaster THE TEXAS CYCLONE. I got the position because Astroworld was highly criticized for not hiring minority and females for managerial positions. i ended up being the best damn ride operator/foreman they have eva had. I held the record at the time for not getting 2 trains on the lift. There was no such thing as computers and the driver controlled every aspect of the ride. The braking system was solely 3 levers ont he control panel and I controlled when and where the train stoppped. Also there was a rule that NO 2 TRAINS IN THE STATION AT THE SAME TIME! Which meant we got in trouble if the loadtime was slow and the trains got backed up in the station. At that time we had lap bars, seatbelts and a seatbelt on the floor for extra security to hold the lap bar down. Now there was a place on the track when the other train reached that point that was the time to dispatch the next train. So u see, these kiids nowadays only have to let the damn bar down and dispatch and there is no excuse for 2 trains to be backed up in the station unless it is an emergency. Also there couldnt be a single rider so we had to find another rider and also we had to make sure the bigger rider got in first. So all of this we had to do in 1 minute and it was done. SO THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR LOAD TIMES TO BE SLOW when these ride operators have absolutley nothing to do.

I can't decide if I should apply to work for Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom this summer. I think it would be fun and they seem to have some nice benefits (obviously free season pass and also for SFKK employees free Holiday World tickets ). However, I've heard complants from some friends about Six Flags hospitality and just working all summer out in the heat. I've never had a job before and I'm wondering if this is a good place to start? I am also very active in sports and would like to know if they are flexible with their employees choosing hours and days to work? Also, do you know if you can become a ride opp or some other exciting job your first year and at the age of 17? I don't want to apply and find out that I will be sweeping pathways and emptying trash cans all summer. Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

~ Kevin "still pondering" Conley

Kevin --

The Benefits are okay, unless you are spekaing of REAL benefits, and then yeah..hah!

You get used to the heat really fast when you have no choice, actually. It was my first job and I'm still there..so..

You only have to be 16 to be in Ride Operations, but remember not everyone gets their first choice. And still then, you will be sweeping pathways and emptying trash cans (since it's the crew's responsibility) at your ride.

Anyhow It's an experience. You'll either like it or you'll hate it, but either way at least you would be another person in the park that KNOWS the weak points of the company and could help to boost them up.

Good luck! Oh, by the way..SFKK is having a job fair Feb 10 & 11. Fill out the application at http://www.sixflagsjobs.com and I'm sure it'll give you more information.

Thank you very much for the advice XanderLee! I had been reading all about the applications and positions on the jobs link page but must have overlooked the Jobs Fair date. I will definitly be going next weekend and most likely will give it a shot and apply to work this summer. Again, your insight has been greatly apprectiated.

~ Kevin C

96-98 USH Ride Ops. Worked BTTF, ET and was a lead on the JP's opening crew and Head trainer for the ride.

Knotts Ride Ops. Sky Jump, Sky Cabin, Whirlpool and Zoom

DLR 3rdshiftCM, hence the name. Got to climb all over the rides at night, lots of fun.

Currently I'm The Ops Manager at a indoor blacklight mini-golf course.

I just can't seem to get out of the business

Worked at Disneyland from 1987 to 1992. And then if it counts I worked on and off for the Disney Studios Interactive division from 1993 to 1999.

In all my years with Disney, this is the product I'm probably most proud of having worked on:

Worked at Disneyland from 1987 to 1992. And then if it counts I worked on and off for the Disney Studios Interactive division from 1993 to 1999.

In all my years with Disney, this is the product I'm probably most proud of having worked on:

Assuming that game is the same as the one for Super Nintendo, that is one of my all time favorite video games.

In 2002, when I first moved here, I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood for a month (I left because I moved up here to the north Valley and I don't drive yet). I worked in that one little restaurant right next to the Jurassic Park ride. It was an OK job; I really liked the atmosphere of working in a park though. I'd do it again.