TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you think coasters getting copied and rebuilt over and over again is a good thing? IMO.... I hate it!

Now if you change the design thats fine, for example the "Superman" brand has many different coasters, and thats a good thing..

However, Kingda Ka.. umm.. no thanks! .. lets rename it to .. " I look like Dragster with a hill at the end and Im green"

Whats next?.. well probably " I look like Millennium Force but Im 10 feet higher and I have a hot pink track."

So what do you think?

Can you get a registered trademark for a coaster, or coaster technology so it wont be cloned?

Oh and also I think Six Flags should keep every park unique. Instead of Boomerangs, Mind Erasers, and Vipers ..galore!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't bother me. With the case of TTD and Kingda Ka, I won't be going to Cedar Point any time soon because it's about a 9 hour drive, Kingda Ka is about 1 1/2 hours away frome me. Even though the rides are basically the same, it allows me to experience the ride that I may not have had a chance to go on otherwise.

Its a bit higher, a bit faster, and it has a hill. that hill seems like a good idea to me and im glad they built it. i dont really think its the same coaster anyway. its just a different coaster with the same technology. like a wooden coaster, and ANOTHER wooden coaster. and why do you hate it so much? how bad would it be to have a world full of 400+ foot tall coasters? its not the same ride, the are similar, but maybe thats just cuz its the 2nd of its kind. kind of like oblivion vs. skeikra. its the same basic coaster but sheikra is more advanced.

Personally clones are sometimes the best bet for parks. Since most are proven designs (Batman, Boomerangs, SLCs) and they bring in crowds. Most of the GP doesn't care what another park on the other side of the country has and if it's the same.

Clones are good things sometimes, even smaller parks can benefit off them, Magic Springs did with the SLC last year.

Can you get a registered trademark for a coaster, or coaster technology so it wont be cloned?

Registered Trademarks protect icons, logos, and mottos. (ie. trademarks)

Patents protect unique technologies. (A coaster's technology, but not a design using the technology.)

But a coaster's lay-out could be copyrighted, via protecting the blueprint.

But the reason behind doing a cookie-cutter is that it's a money-saver, a design team of engineers doesn't have to be hired, so the trend will continue, if not get worse.

Most people don't care. 90+% of the people who go to SFGAdv have never been to Cedar Point in their lives and they don't worry about the fact that they have a similar coaster. They just know that they have an extreme machine right in their backyard.

// Give me more copies of the "Flyers" please

Heh...don't call KK a clone over on the GAdv boards... the kiddies will freak! IMO, it's a clone+. Does this upset me at my home park? (Home of 5 major rides that are practically clones or have been cloned? GASM, B:TR, Medusa, S:UF, KK) Not at all. I more than welcome it! GAdv is a very spoiled park (in relation to coasters at least) and though not cheap, I am sure KK did offer sigifigant savings over a custom designed rocket.

Plus it saves me the 10 hour drive to Ohio...

You want more copies of S:UF? Please pray for a better layout before you do that! The pretzel loop rules, but the rest...heheh...drools...heheh... At least SFOG's uses the terrain, Not much GAdv's parking lot could do for that...