TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rockin' Space Mountain

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to ride it yesterday, and I would have to disagree with all of you. This was actually a nice change for Space Mountain. Sure, the dancing people on the walls weren't the greatest, but I enjoyed it more with the lasers shooting everywhere and actually being able to see the track a little bit more. Sure, I still enjoy the orignial SM more than this but, it seriously isn't that bad.

---Brent

Robb, do you seriously think the florida version is better? It is so much rougher.

Anyhow - the change looks terrible and I hate the new announcer.

Yes, I love WDW's Space Mountain as I far prefer the track layout over the "clone" version (Hong Kong, TDL, DL.) Out of the three clones HKDL's is my favorite as well as my favorite overall Space Mountain, mainly because of the music and effects. I don't find it rough at all, and it certainly has more airtime over the other versions.

If the WDW version had the soundtrack and effects of HKDL's that would be my favorite by a long shot!

And then there's Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain....

*sigh*

....which was my #1 steel coaster in the world when it first opened in 1995 and quickly became rough as hell, and then the continued abortion called "Mission 2" just killed it. Now if Mission 2 was still as smooth as the opening year Space Mountain, then it *MAY* still be my favorte, but it's not.

So overall, HKDL's is my favorite Space, but I prefer WDW's layout, and original DLP's Space is better than all....but that's gone now.

--Robb "I don't even want to talk about how dissapointed I was to ride DLP's Space Mountain last year...." Alvey

Actually, that's on the agenda for Splash Mountain.

Don't give them any ideas like that. Somebody at Disney did ok this project. What could be next after that, The Freaky Goth Mansion?

Don't forget they are changing Tom Sawyers Island as well.

Ron "As long as they keep it all in California" Patton

"Welcome back, rockin' rockers. You rock the universe."

I have never heard a spiel so gay in all my life. That's even gayer than the guy on Apollo's Chariot that says "Are you ready to RIIIIIIDE?LOLZ!!!"

That video actually reminded me a lot of what I imagine hell is like.

Yes, I love WDW's Space Mountain as I far prefer the track layout over the "clone" version (Hong Kong, TDL, DL.) Out of the three clones HKDL's is my favorite as well as my favorite overall Space Mountain, mainly because of the music and effects. I don't find it rough at all, and it certainly has more airtime over the other versions.

If the WDW version had the soundtrack and effects of HKDL's that would be my favorite by a long shot!

Great - thanks for clearing that up...

Oh and it is a bummer to hear that the Paris coaster has gotten so rough. I imagine it was fantastic in it's heyday.

Also, if anyones interested theres a video of California Screamin on youtube.

WOW. I don't post a lot on here - but I do read the boards almost daily and after watching all 3 video links, I feel compelled to respond. I have to say that I am disappointed. I rode it way back in 1997 and it was the first coaster I was on that had a soundtrack and I thought it was great! This version - not so much. Now I haven't ridden it, but the videos make it look terrible. I really don't think it will do much for attendance to the park - a shameful waste of money in my opinion.

As for Space Mountain at WDW - I like this version a lot and agree with Robb that it would be amazing with a soundtrack and the cars like DL. It's due for an update - I hope they don't wreck WDW's version.

David

WOW. I don't post a lot on here - but I do read the boards almost daily and after watching all 3 video links, I feel compelled to respond. I have to say that I am disappointed. I rode it way back in 1997 and it was the first coaster I was on that had a soundtrack and I thought it was great! This version - not so much. Now I haven't ridden it, but the videos make it look terrible. I really don't think it will do much for attendance to the park - a shameful waste of money in my opinion.

As for Space Mountain at WDW - I like this version a lot and agree with Robb that it would be amazing with a soundtrack and the cars like DL. It's due for an update - I hope they don't wreck WDW's version.

David

You are right. Space Mountain at WDW is due for an update. I was just there, and sure all of the special effects while waiting in line may have been cool in like 1985, but seriously. The worst one is when you are leaving the ride and you are going up that moving sidewalk on an upward slant. There were two things wrong here. First off it is dangerous for people in wheelchairs. Someone in a wheelchair was right in front of me when we were going up and they started rolling backwards. I was able to stop them, but if I had not they could have been hurt. The other thing wrong with the exit was those outdated TVs that show you going up the moving sidewalk. What do they expect us to be like. Does disney think that this is high tech and impressive still. Its not like anyone anymore would be like "Hey Ma, look at me, Im on the TV!". Seriously Disney take those stupid things out.

^ I completely agree with you. I actually rode it for my first time this Thanksgiving. The theming immediately stood out at me. It actually disappointed me considering it's Disney. The least they could do is switch to flat screens with all the money they have. Those TVs didn't look like they had been replaced since the 1980s. I expect a retheming in a couple years though.

^^^ Episode 1 had a plot? Since when?

I think that, while the radio host is really terrible, the effects look like they'd be a lot of fun. I honestly think we really can't judgefrom a video, as a dark roller coaster never really gives a good POV...

Dude thats Uncle Joe Benson! Only one of the greatest radio personalities on the airwaves!

http://www.955klos.com/showdj.asp?DJID=27110&pt=UncleJoeBenson

not... Though my brother insists he is

I have to agree with Robb regarding WDW's SM.

I still prefer DL's ... BUT ... like Robb said ... if WDW's had the effects, sound and was smoothed out a bit ... that layout is freakin' insanely good.

I'll be riding Rockin' SM tomorrow, so I'll reserve judgement until then.

Does this count as a new credit???

This new version of Space Mountain reminds me of some far off Japanese coaster that you can only get to by crossing a rickety old suspension bridge, fighting off a dragon, and battling a bunch of ninjas in order to get the controls to operate. Then, you have to run over hot coals to escape the erupting volcano that is about to engulf the ride as a giant ancient demon is awakened from his dormant egg by the Chili Peppers music.

I'm kinda looking forward to riding it now that it will only be this way for a few short months. I'm totally going to try and fix the next steel poll by getting all my friends to vote for it in its special state.

^They wanted music that more than 25 people had heard before...

Nice burn ... But I still think Dave's freaky music would have been better.

At least if we want the old music with the new effects we can just take an Ipod on the ride or something. I've wanted to do that with the Dick Dale soundtrack anyway.

How about the next retheming they do could be "Motown Space Mountian"? It would be so easy for them. All they would have to do is replace The Chili Peppers version of Higher Ground with Stevie Wonders, and get Wolfman Jack to do the DJ part.

Ron "They could do a different type of music every 4 months" Patton

FLEA!! FLEA!! FLEA!! FLEA!! FLEA!! FLEA!!!

I really think they should of gone with Tom Sawyer-RUSH for their music and have on the walls a concert of them singing it!

Actually I think they should of just left it alone completly and not have any sound on it. Id rather have the good ol Space Mountain that I remember when before all this music crap came along! I was never big on the whole music addition to it at all! Bring back the quivering nebula at the top of the ceiling and the two potato and cookie asteroids with the shooting stars. Now thats SPACE MOUNTAIN!! What they have now since the music and all its been pretty bad. Now its just downright garbage!