TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

So how many people out there are ACEer's?

Are you a member of ACE?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of ACE?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was an ACEr from 1989 to 1991. After they ripped me off a half-a-year of newsletters, and the politics became an annoyance, (it was a bad time back then) I just let it go. To me, ACE just hasn't kept up with technology, and isn't an exclusive, elite group it used to be.

Me and the girl joined this year just because it's worth it if we go to two events. No matter how bad "ACE" may be, it's better than admitting to getting a Coasterbuzz subscription just to go to CedarMania last year.

Brian says, late or not, the photo layout of Thunderhead WAS impressive.

We're fairly new members of ACE and have yet to attend an event, the timing just hasn't been right. Last year we were burnt out on CP and this year feel we've had more than enough of SFGAM. The Dells are just a 3 hour road trip away so we'll be hanging out there plenty as it is.

While the Con event itself would I'm sure be a good time it's hard for us to justify spending well over $1,200 for two of us to attend, much less $2,400 for four. Is anyone actually psyched about going? It seems like all I've read are those saying they won't be attending.

Hopefully we'll get to KennyKon this year - is that a fun event?

Mark

^Kennycon is about the only reason I ever think of joining ACE again. It is a great event at a great park. But then I figure that I can just go visit Kennywood on my own if I had any free time, and don't join. I was in ACE for awhile, went to some events, had fun, but realized that the group politics were not for me. Seeing some exceptionally immature behavior by some ACE folks that really should have known better pretty much put me off from renewing my membership. I can see cool coaster photos on the net (like here), get all the latest news and such, and have just as much fun going to parks with small groups, or just the two of us.

I do sometimes think about joining ECC just because their magazine is some completely kick ass compared to any other coaster mag. But I am one lazy bastard and will likely won't get around that for awhile...

dt

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.... I Just joined ACE for the frist time very recently, OK I just got my card in the mail yesterday. So I really Don't know any ACE'rs Yet.

Also Thanks for the info on ecc.

• 4 months later...

I like how everyone said something like "I'm in ACE but not your typical ACEr".. like anyone would admit it?

I'm in ACEr, and have been for a while. Discounts are great and the special events are nice, but I'd like to think I'm in it most for the preservation

I'm also an ACEr with a sense of humor, so...

gravy.jpg.e92d5e587ce1e0cf3216fc8190d97849.jpg

Pass the Gravy! =)

gadv.jpg.1259feea839bca4ed34bdc31ffe668c1.jpg

Yea.. look at that mini-gut! That's not just college talkin', that's ACE syndrome!

I am in ACE, but just for the half price admission to Paramount parks. But seeing how I only went to PKI once last year, I didn't get my $50 worth and may not renew this year. I don't ever talk aout being a member of ACE, I talk about being a member of TPR!

Dennis "I'm in ACE but mayby not for much longer" McClellan

I love how so many people are in ACE, but they are ashamed. If you don't like it, then why join.

It seems like every reply starts with "I am an ACE member, but ...."

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there aren't that many "official" organizations for coaster enthusiasts. And there are only TWO that offers a subscription magazine. I know from discussing this with many others, that most people don't realize that the ECC magazine covers tons of US parks too. They "European" in the title and they instantly migrate over to ACE.

Personally, I think First Drop is WAY better than the ACE Magazine as it actually sometimes has information BEFORE you've read about it on the internet!

And by being an ACE member, you do get a lot of discounts, etc. There ARE benefits to being an ACE member for a lot of people. And some people LOVE the magazine! I mean, the last few issues I saw focused more on preservation and parks that closed 10 to 20 years before I was born. If you're into that sort of thing, you'll LOVE the magazine.

For me personally, the last two years I was an ACE member I only took advantage of their events or discounts ONCE, and would thumb through the magazine, maybe, before throwing it away.

The ECC mag I read cover to cover.....so they get my yearly allowance for coaster clubs!

The club gets it's negative reputation with some people because, to be honest, it's no better than being a member of a Star Trek or Star Wars club. And most people I know who are in those say the same thing... "I'm a member of the Star Wars fan club, but...."

No one wants to admit they are part of a geeky organization, but even if you're posting to this forum, you are!

--Robb "Co-Leader of the TPR geeks!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I was an ACE member long, long ago, when the club first began (when was that, anyway?).

Got the'zine for a couple of years, then just let the membership go, for no reason. To really 'date' myself, the last issue of the club's magazine I got was featuring the beginning of the building of The Beast at PKI :shock:

Late 70's, hmmm? And I have no problems with gravy, lol. Depending on the main course, of course.

I'm a Coaster Zombie for life, but, I'm going to become a new member of ACE for next year mostly because I feel like I will be a more credible person in the coaster community since I don't really have anything else going for me. Plus, I like food I won't get fat though because I'm a health nut But yeah, I would like to get some more events as a member and hopefully get my name out there a little more along with make some friends - eventhough I have heard that it is hard to as a new member of ACE because they kind of don't even pay attention to you for a while.

But Herc, we usually eat meat at the events. I don't think I've been to an event where a vegetarian could get by with a decent meal

I love how it's called ACE News Now :lol:

I love how so many people are in ACE, but they are ashamed. If you don't like it, then why join.

It seems like every reply starts with "I am an ACE member, but ...."

That's what I was thinking! I'm not ashamed of being a coaster geek