TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Discovery Channel -- Building Tatsu

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ According to the show --- 49 seconds from disengaging the lift to hitting the final brakes.

I know that it is a 49 second ride. The reason they had to change the wheels was that the ride was around 18 (or something with an 8 in it) seconds long. I wanted that ride, as it would be even more insane.

It was eight seconds too fast; not 18 seconds long.

^^Oh, well, that'd be sweet too.

I never understood why the Discovery Channel has to make these specials so dramatic. I mean, they have shots of people riding the ride, and then they end each bit with the whole "will it open in time??!!" thing. I really wish they wouldn't becuase it got really annoying after the Kindga Ka episode.

This took forever to download for me but it looks quite interesting so hopefully it will be worth the wait. Cheers for uploading this Sean, I was really disapointed when I saw this was going to be on but I wasn't going to be able to watch it.

SFMM is holy ground for thrillseekers? Somebody in the writing department doesnt' read message boards!

Discovery Channel's doing a top-notch job teaching the kiddies.

“In a conventional loop, gravity pushes riders into their seats.” Ummm, gravity pushes people up, into their seats? How does a channel that is all about learning say something this innaccurate? It seems like every show about coasters has some glaring inaccuracy... Makes you wonder what they get wrong with important info.

I agree with others about the phony drama the announcer used. Sooooo annoying. "(Under the pressure) Danny's brother Nic even has a nightmare!" Nooooooo! Not a nightmare! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! How bout this; "“The spray paint used to mark locations contain deadly toxins… One wrong whiff could send these iron workers to the morgue!” Or, "The crew had lunch at Taco Bell. If they didn't fart, the workers risk grastrointestinal pain, and they may even explode!"

They should've just had the operations guy and the ironworkers do the talking... They were much more interesting. They actually said relevent things instead of hype with no substance. Seeing the actual problems to overcome, and the planning sure was neato. How surprising that they built a footer in the way of the track... Plus that semi on the hillside was cool. Never seen that before.

^Dude, a loop does push you up in your seat. When you are riding a coaster and you are in a loop, you feel like you're being pressed down in your seat, but in reality, you are going up when you're upside-down.

Dood, that ain't gravity that's doing the pushing.

Gravity, at least in our general usage of the word, applies to the attraction of objects towards the earth. The reason you feel pushed into your seat is because of the inertia of the train, and the resulting centripetal force exerted by the shape of the track.

^I'm laughing more at people who need to criticize the discovery channel for not getting every little detail (that only we would notice) correct. I mean, it's a TV show...

But yes, the irony is great.

The last piece of track that was installed, the one with the construction company name and the guys who built the ride on it, where exactly is that piece of track on Tatsu? If I remember right, that would be track piece #17 which was the last one installed. I'm guessing it's right after the top of the lift/first drop?

^ No. That piece of track is actually near the center of the transition from the corkscrew to the zero-gravity roll --- right above the coaster's exit ramp. You can see it easily from the loading platform (the station side that faces in the direction towards X and Viper). If anyone remembers, that was the last track piece installed on Tatsu.

http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/sfmm4.2.06/DSCN5392.jpg

http://p2.rcdb.com/picmax/six-flags-magic-mountain/tatsu57.jpg

I almost forgot about it until my manager calls over to my workstation: "Hey Billy, go to Channel 24 (Discovery Channel). They have Roller Coasters on there." So I turned on one of our TVs for testing DVDs and changed it over to the DC...Kinda began to snicker when they showed all the people waiting during the day to get on Tatsu as they said it was the first riders of the day...My first thought was "Uh no...people camped out the previous night, and rode at like 5 AM.

It was a decent show, but I didn't like the fact that they acted like a disaster was always going to happen. It was nice about the technical information, but told in a way for the GP to understand. I just wish they had Dan's(RCPro) Tatsu video at the end.

Airtime-I can mention RCPro in a Tatsu thread right?-&Gravity

Hi guys, thanks for posting the program, but when i download the file it is not possible for me to open the file, I do not have winrar, is there any other possibility to see the program?