TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A WDW Christmas Opinion

Well, after all these years I finally got to experience WDW during the holiday season. I actually experienced DL during the holidays a few years ago. I hate to say it but MK can't even hold a candle to DL when it comes to Christmas. The biggest thing that bugs me is that you have to go to a party to really experience Christmas at MK. I was there Thursday night and it was sold out. I will say this they really need to reduce the cap on attendence because 22,000 is just too many people. I have been twice to the Halloween party(once on a sold out night) and it never felt as crowded as it did the other night. Here are some of the negatives and positives of the event.

Positives

1. Disney actually did a very good job of clearing the park. I do think they should go back to closing the park at 6pm but still have Wishes at 6. Most guests did leave after Wishes but many ran to get in one more ride. However the cast members were everywhere at 7pm(shop and ride entrances, doing a sweep of the park) making sure everyone had wristbands and I didn't see anyone without one that night.

2. Just like the Halloween party the cast members really get into the spirit of the party. I know some of them have been working all day but they seem to really kick the magic up a notch during the parties.

3. Even though the night was sold out I never had to wait in line for the cookies, hot chocolate, etc. They had multiple lines at all the locations we went to and you could take as much as you wanted to questions asked. And those cookies were really good.

4. Finally seeing the Christmas parade and Holiday Wishes was great.

Negatives

1. I think Disney has really pushed it too far with the attendance cap on the party. 22000 is just too many people. There are really starting to push it to the point where it is just not enjoyable. Where you are spending a good hour of your time just to get a good spot for the fireworks and the parade. Even the 2nd showing of the parade all the good spots were taken a half hour before the parade started.

2. With all this money they are making off these parties do you think they could invest in some better parade lighting. The lighting for the parade is horrible. While it may work for the Halloween parade because it is supposed to be spooky. Dim lighting for a Christmas parade is unacceptable esp. when you see the amazing parade route lighting DL has. I can't believe it would be that expensive or time consuming to put in some extra lighting esp. in Liberty Square and Frontierland esp. since they now have 3 parties a year.

3. I am sorry but Holiday Wishes was just not that great and can't even hold a candle to Hallowishes. There was just way too many of the same fireworks that are in Wishes whereas Hallowishes has alot more original fireworks. That and they didn't seem to use as many perimeter fireworks and to me the finale was just sorta blah. I will say that "The Spirit of Holiday Childhood Fantasies" was the best part of the show. That had the most unique fireworks of any part esp. the shooting of the rockets over the castle to make it look like a Christmas tree.

I just really don't feel that MVMCP was worth the money. It probably is on a night that is not that crowded and I wish I could have gone on one but I had to go when my friends could go. I just think it is ridiculous that they ran the parties all the way up till the 22nd this year. It is just plain greed. I realize the last 6 parties sold out but I wonder how much of that was tourists coming here and finding out the only way they can experience Christmas at Mk is if they pay extra for it.

I am sorry but MK can't hold a candle to DL when it comes to Christmas. HMH, IASWC, Believe in Holiday Magic w/White Christmas finale and the Christmas parade. I just find it funny that the park that gets the most play every year on that 2 hour infomercial Christmas day is the least Christmassy of all.

However, Epcot is where the holidays truly shine at WDW. From the holiday storytellers, to the awesome Christmas tree, the amazing decorations and displays, the Lights of Winter, the Candlelight Processional which I was really impressed by even though I am not religious and the Illuminations holiday tag. What can I say about the Peace on Earth finale that hasn't already been said. It is one of the most jaw dropping fireworks finales of any show I have ever seen. All I can say is if you can look away during those last 30 seconds look to you left or right and see the look on peoples faces. That is true Disney magic.

I was also really blown away by the Osbourne Lights. This was my first time seeing them. I don't know if I would have kept going back again and again if it wasn't for the dancing lights part. The cool thing is they did a good job with the TSO songs but that was nothing compared with the job they did with Feliz Navidad. I hope next year the add some more songs and I can't wait to see what they will do with those.

I thought the decorations were great at DAK and the Jingle Jungle Parade was a nice overlay of the standard parade.

Overall, I like WDW during the holidays. I was there 7 nights in the last month. However, they really need to do something about MK. I hope they consider adding HMH, IASWC or bringing back Country Bear Christmas and just maybe they will cut the parties back to the middle of Dec. like they used to but I doubt it. I think the MK mgrs. really need to go to DL during the holidays and see how the holidays can be done right. If it wasn't for Epcot the holidays would be very disappointing at WDW.That's just my opinion.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about MVMCP, mainly that the ride lines are way too long. I went to MNSSHP on a Friday. The crowd was pretty sizable, but I don't recall waiting more than 5 minutes for any ride.

I haven't gotten to experience a MVMCP yet. I was apart of them all this year in the parade. So, I can't really comment.

I do remember while attending a few MNSSHP they weren't too crowded. The parade spots were quickly taken, but I'm not surprised for a special event. When repeat guests and CMs are typically in the park during the day, they will skip the day parade if they have already seen it.

When I did the Not So Scary, I didn't really ride anything, but I remember glancing at the wait times and I think 15 minutes might be the longest I saw.

If you have any pictures of the parade, especially the Reindeer, I'd love to see them! Also, when did you see Jingle Jungle parade?

• 2 weeks later...

WDW from Dec.21 until after new year's is just WAY too crowded!!! I went for New Year's years ago and after I waited 3.5 hours for Splash Mountain I decided this time of the year is not doable.I live in Florida and have the seasonal pass which blocks me from going between Dec.22 and Jan.5 which is just right.I still go before my pass gets blocked out and can see all the holiday events at Epcot, the Osborne lights at MGM, at MK the MVMCP would still be extra.And if I needed to go to a park during this time my Universal and Anheiser parks annual passes still work!!!!

I was also really blown away by the Osbourne Lights. This was my first time seeing them. I don't know if I would have kept going back again and again if it wasn't for the dancing lights part. The cool thing is they did a good job with the TSO songs but that was nothing compared with the job they did with Feliz Navidad.

Completely agreed! I saw the Osborne lights twice when they were on Residential Street, then skipped them last year because I didn't think it was anything special. But this year was really awesome! I enjoyed the display way more than I thought I would because there was a show element to it. It was relatively confined in a small area too, and it was easy to walk from place to place during the shows to see everything. Feliz Navidad was also my favorite of the shows I saw.

Did you happen to notice the Muppets lights? I'd have never noticed them had they not been pointed out to me.

-Julie