TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition & Other DVD Reviews!

Hey everybody!

I am aware there is already another thread on the shipment of "Coaster Expedition: Volume 8", but I have received permission to begin a thread to share reviews! So feel free to post your thoughts and opinions of the new DVD!

Here's mine!...

Theme Park Review

Coaster Expedition

Volume 8

Theme Park Review has done it again!

When I recently received my own copy of their “Coaster Expedition: Volume 8”, I was eager to pop in the three discs and revalidate the fact that Theme Park Review is the best source of theme park DVDs!—a true standard. The three discs contain the following—

The first disc, a “season” disc, is the jolly documentation of the first Theme Park Review Group Trip to the U.K. Now, I myself did not attend this trip and so I was a little curious to see not only how the trip played out, but if the tried and true “season disc” was any different after bumping the group size to over 50. Despite following the many trip reports of the tour and speaking with participants first hand, this DVD was able to bring to life the adventure and crazy antics that is the U.K. Tour like none other! The disc provides a unique insight to the many parks and stops along the tour, showcasing the attractions, entertainment, atmosphere, and of course FOOD! With this Volume, Theme Park Review continues to perfect their “signature” formula of combining a uniquely-informative look at these attractions with the entertaining stories and experiences of the “characters” whom have accompanied them—all in a well-paced “music video” format that really anybody, park-enthusiast or not, can enjoy. So whether you went on the U.K. Tour is irrelevant, as my experience has found this disc to be quiet enjoyable!

The second disc, a “footage” disc, is catered more to the “coaster-enthusiast” in you! As it has in the past seven volumes, the “footage disc” again utilizes the “music video” format to convey specific ride experiences. Combining on-ride and off-ride footage, this disc showcases the many different roller coasters the group encountered on their Tour, from the thrilling, to the classic, to the flat-out weird! From the celebrated ‘Nemesis’ at Alton Towers, to the uncontrollable ‘Dragons Fury’ at Chessington, to the new and thrilling ‘Speed Monster’ at TusenFryd, to the lustrous, “airtime”-inducing ‘Balder’ at Liseberg—the disc contains such coasters that make me, an individual confined to America, drool.

The third and final disc of Volume 8 contains samples of Theme Park Review’s 2006 Coaster Video Contest entries. For those who do not know, Theme Park Review hosts an annual video contest, to allow fellow coaster enthusiasts to shine and share their own park experiences and video skills—and it never fails to amaze me how talented folks are or how unique these parks are, so disc three is definitely a welcomed addition to the Volume.

To those who are already familiar with Theme Park Review, this Volume allows you to enjoy the craziness of the U.K. Tour, without actually having to step on a plane! And it will take you a mere few segments before you will be looking into Theme Park Review’s 2007 park trips, I guarantee you that!

Now, to those who may be unfamiliar with Theme Park Review, it may be tempting to begin with the first Coaster Expedition Volume and work your way up from there. But I personally favor starting with this one, Volume 8, and working one’s way back. It is a DVD featuring their most recent travels via a style that has been most refined and perfected at this point; your safest bet would be to sample the series by picking up a copy of this DVD, Volume 8. With plenty of humor, none of which more drastic than a mere-“suggestive” rating, I am confident that a whole family or party audience would enjoy the crazy antics and amusing parks found in “Coaster Expedition: Volume 8”.

-Jahan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this was my first experience with a TPR dvd I was very impressed not only with the footage but how it was put together. My only complaint is with some of the music choices but even that doesn't deter from my overall enjoyment of the dvd's. The coaster and park footage was excellant and the out of park footage was laugh out loud funny. I will be ordering more dvd's in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Thanks for the kind words. If anyone else feels like posting their review of either Volume 8 or Erik's Jiggidy Johnson DVD, please feel free to add them here!

Thanks!

--Robb "All caught up on DVD orders...hopefully everyone who ordered should have theirs now!" Alvey

I got Coaster Expedition 8 for Christmas and it was great! Expedition 7 is still my standing favorite, but this one was of the same quality. The music went along greatly with the on screen "action". The Chessington's video really stood out to me, for some reason, I'm not really sure why, though. But the best non-coaster part of the DVD were the "gypsies". I probably watched it 3 or 4 times, it was great. Once again, great DVD Robb and Elissa.

Expedition 7 is still my standing favorite, but this one was of the same quality.

What's funny about that is I've heard that from so many people about Volume 7, yet that's the DVD that Elissa and I kind of feel got "thrown together" since it covered so many random trips and such a vast amount of time (Christmas 2004 to March 2006!)

So whatever we did with that DVD, I'm glad we did it! Now I just hope we can repeat that some formula!

--Robb "It's all about the dog humping." Alvey

I really liked Volume 8! I was fun to watch even if I wasn't on the trip

But I still like Vol. 4 the best. It has nothing to do with quality, humor, editing, filming. I cant explain it. Maybe it is because those were just US parks (excluding Canada). And maybe it was because it was just you guys doing the trips. I don't know, it is really hard for me to explain. It just seemed to be more of a trip from park to park, and more of like a journey. Not that your new ones aren't...its hard to explain.

Maybe you should do separate DVDs for trips. Like in 2005, if you had all your out of country stuff on one DVD, and you US stuff on another. Because, IMO, segments seem better when it is just one park at a time. Because I know you had your "where in the world is Robb and Elissa" that wasn't in the vol 7.

I got mine about a week ago, really good dvd! I've watched about 5 times! It's cool to see TPR going to parks that I go to all the time in the UK.

The dvd was really well put togehter, good music choices and really good footage.

Really worth the money, I look forward to the next one! thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

I'm currently updating the Coaster Expedition Volume 8 page, so if you want to add your review here so I can grab some "quotes" please do so!

If you have reviewed Coaster Expecition Volume 8 on your website, please send me the link so I can add to the DVD page as well.

Thanks!

--Robb

You can quote me on this one:

"Coaster Expedition Volume 8 is by far the best volume yet! With all new faces and some new places, their antics provide a truly fun and enjoyable experience for any theme park enthusiast! If this doesn't make you want to go on one of their upcoming tours, you need to watch it again until you do!"

Adam "can't wait till '08" Roth

I love everything about it. The footage, the music, and the people. It's the perfect combination of roller coasters and humor. All of the dvd's are full of hilarious laugh out loud moments that make you want to watch them over and over!

Great job you guys! Keep 'em coming!

• 1 month later...

This should have been posted a LONG time ago, but I've been super busy with my final semester of college (architecture major doing my THESIS project). I'm done now, and between today and graduation on Friday, I really don't have much to do!

So here's my review. Finally.

Theme Park Review Coaster Expedition Vol. 8

“TPR’s UK Tour and More!”

by Albert "Corkscrewed" Lam

What I say about these DVD’s that hasn’t been said already? It’s almost like repeat myself every year, gushing over the fantastic fun adventures documented in these exciting Theme Park Review presentations.

Well, lets start with the usual suspects. Coaster Expedition volume 8 features excellent footage of roller coasters and rides in a plethora of European parks, from Alton Towers to Chessington to Lightwater Valley to Thorpe Park to Liseberg, TusenFryd, and Parque Warner Madrid. The lipstick cam is back and provides professional-quality smoothness on all on-ride POV shots. There’s a ton of fun, action, and hilarity from all the antics of the TPR crew. There are water rides, scream machines, and fire. And the music selection is a high energy medley of pop rock and dance that will have you tapping your feet and bobbing your head throughout the DVD. The editing is crisp. The video matches the music. The entire design is slick, simple, and effective.

Sound familiar? It is a Robb and Elissa Alvey production after all. They’ve made this sort of thing look effortless by now.

What IS new this year, however, is the inclusion of not only Robb and Elissa and some of their regular guests, but several dozen Theme Park Review board members who have taken part of the first-ever TPR group park tour. The scary thing? There are creatures more bizarre, demented and terrifying than Robb Alvey!

Seriously, though, what is amazing here is the assortment of fun-loving coaster enthusiasts who play their part in this eclectic potpourri of theme park loving fans. Whether it’s Ryan King “pounding it” with everyone in sight, or Casey the Giant “pounding Ryan with his body” (wait, that came out wrong; I meant tackling), or Barry’s constant videotaping of everything, or “that Hoffman girl,” or the complete and utter lack of Joey or Joe (which is constantly noted, in case you’ve forgotten in the past two minutes), or any one of everyone else, everyone has a blast, and it definitely shines through the videos. It’s an utter joy to see how a group of people who may have otherwise never been able to meet each other can be brought together by a uniform love of roller coasters and good old-fashioned shenanigans!

It goes without saying that this DVD makes a great advertising tool for TPR’s future theme park tours. With the overwhelming success of the first one, plus several trips planned this year, plus more in the works for next year, it seems Robb and Elissa are slowly turning this enterprise into a multi-disciplinary franchise. And coaster fans certainly can’t disagree with that decision.

Coaster Expedition 8 proves that anyone from anywhere can come together and have a great time, as long as he or she doesn’t take anything too seriously. And that’s the delightful part of all of this. A universal love of roller coasters definitely brings people together, and it’s great to see Robb and Elissa doing their part to make this world a little bit smaller.

Coaster Expedition volume 8 comes with a second disc of coaster footage, as usual, plus the winners of last year’s TPR Coaster Video contest. That’s three discs in one, and a fantastic deal, especially considering the high quality of last year’s video contest finalists!

Information and ordering procedure is available at the Theme Park Review website:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastervideos.htm

Running Times:

DISC 1 – 75 minutes

DISC 2 – 63 minutes

DISC 3 – I didn’t bother to measure

• 6 months later...

I've decided to make this thread the official "Review" thread for anything Coaster Expedition, Jiggidy Johnsons, JimmyBo, or What's in a Brain.

If you have ordered these DVDs and would like to post your review, do it here!

Everyone who posts a review will get a TPR bag-o-crap!

--Robb

ps. Post your Roller Coasters in the RAW reviews in this thread:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40089

I'm still waiting for my copy of Brain, and I ordered it a while ago.

I sincerely hope you get it soon. I am waiting to hear something... ...anything... ...good, bad, or otherwise. I need to know if I should continue my insane quest to explore the dark recesses of my coaster enthusiasm.

I have already started work on "WiaB II, The Revenge of Dr. Phyl."

Guy, I must say that your DVD will haunt me forever...but in a good way. Your distrubed little mind really put together a pretty awesome DVD and it was definitely like no other coaster DVD's out there. I really enjoyed how your wife and kids put up with you and played along in the videos. I still crack up every time I see a "little person" on the street because it reminds me of that scene in one of your videos. I don't think I've laughed harder before Guy (plus I had about 3 Jack N Cokes in me while watching)

Awesome stuff Guy and definitely keep up the good work.

Jimmy "only So Cal peeps know the true Montezooma's Revenge" Bo

P.S. Don't drink Tijuana water...EVER!

I know I am far behind the times, but I just started my collection with Coaster Expedition 1 which is most excellent. It is fun to see all the TPR people having such a great time. Robb does a great job filming the coasters both off ride and POV. You can not get a better deal than 10.00 per DVD. I will be ordering more very soon. Of course I am thinking I am going to have to get the newest one next. If you are a coaster junkie like me and my daughter, you have to have these DVDs. I hate winter in Ohio.