TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Idiot Ride Ops.

I actually got aggravated with the ops at Kraken, They were taking forever to dispatch, but then i got happy when (what seem to be a supervisor) told them to pick up the pace through the intercom. and they did!

I myself am a supervisor, and nothing ticks me off the most than to see my employees take forever, is not like we can fire them for that, but I always try to make them understand, most of them don't care. And I hate it when they over socialize, but I can say we are fairly good.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this in another thread, but it seems more fitting for this one.....

One time I was at SFOG back when Viper was there. In the evening, the crowds were light and I was able to ride Viper many times back-to-back. Well, on one ride after one of the ride-ops got through checking the train, she hopped in the seat next to me and the train just took off and she didn't even have the lap bar down. I'm like what an idiot. She could've gotten fired if she had been caught. MAJOR safety violation!

One time I was at SFOG back when Viper was there. In the evening, the crowds were light and I was able to ride Viper many times back-to-back. Well, on one ride after one of the ride-ops got through checking the train, she hopped in the seat next to me and the train just took off and she didn't even have the lap bar down. I'm like what an idiot. She could've gotten fired if she had been caught. MAJOR safety violation!

It is, and I am glad parks are installing more and more deadman-switches on their coasters to prevent these things. All operators have to hold down a button untill the train has cleared the station, release the button and the train simply stops.

It is, and I am glad parks are installing more and more deadman-switches on their coasters to prevent these things. All operators have to hold down a button untill the train has cleared the station, release the button and the train simply stops.

I think it should be mandatory on ANY ride control panel that you cannot start the ride or dispatch a train unless sensors detect all safety restraints are latched. If one is left unlocked, a button should be lit up red to let you know something is not right. Pretty much, it can't run unless an "All Clear" button is lit!

It may have just been me, but there were some pretty lazy crews on Termination Day at SFMM. Not on Terminator, but other rides. Among what I noticed:

Viper: 3 train stacking, consistently. Bizarre because Viper usually has outstanding capacity. (11am ish)

Scream: 2 train stacking, consistently. 2 employees working, 4 employees just hanging out. (9pm ish)

Batman The Ride: 1 train operation, 1 dispatch about every 10 minutes. The gentleman checking restraints on the right side of the train actually had a soda cup in his hand the whole time. This one also had 6 employees and only two that seemed to be doing anything. (930pm ish)

Other than that, the crews were great!!!

Chris.

I took many rides on Tower of Doom and Wild One while working on those rides, of course I made the other attendant check my restraint...

All of the ride ops at Adventureland (IA). That's why I quit.

When I worked Tornado, I was instructed to make guests take loose articles with them. They aren't allowed to even leave their jackets and cameras and things in the station. I once saw an onride video of Tornado in which the first thing you hear is the ride op saying, "Don't drop that camera!" as if it were a joke.

I was really confused by this policy. The jackets and cameras were one thing, but we saw backpacks and beach bags on all the coaster when we were there this year. The even more bizarre part was you could leave prizes won on the games at the stations.

Tonight at SF Great America, I was also dumbfounded by the ride op in the back side. There was no line but the main operator said "there are no re-rides." So what does the other operator do? Tells the kids to sneak into a seat. Simply amazing.

All of the ride ops at Adventureland (IA). That's why I quit.

When I worked Tornado, I was instructed to make guests take loose articles with them. They aren't allowed to even leave their jackets and cameras and things in the station. I once saw an onride video of Tornado in which the first thing you hear is the ride op saying, "Don't drop that camera!" as if it were a joke.

I was really confused by this policy. The jackets and cameras were one thing, but we saw backpacks and beach bags on all the coaster when we were there this year. The even more bizarre part was you could leave prizes won on the games at the stations.

Tonight at SF Great America, I was also dumbfounded by the ride op in the back side. There was no line but the main operator said "there are no re-rides." So what does the other operator do? Tells the kids to sneak into a seat. Simply amazing.

At the place I use to work, riding without supervisor permission will get you fired. We could test ride in the morning before the park opens but not during regular park hours unless a supervisor says it ok. I did have a sup run the ride for me once right before the park closed and let me ride. He was really cool

I have to agree with some of the things written about employees not bothering to check restraints etc......fire the lot of them in my opinion, it may be very difficult to get injured on a particular ride, but whilst you are on that ride, your life is in the ride operators hands. Comply with rules or get fired.....

As for all the Ride Ops who sit playing on their phones all day.........Get another job ffs!!!! If you want to work at a Theme Park and create a fun entertaining day out for the public, then do your god damn job properly, I have a colleague who plays on his phone throughout the day and the number of times I have had blasts at him telling him it is actually company policy to have no mobile phones on the shop floor. We are currently allowed them on the understanding no-one takes the p*ss (i.e. you can check the phone occasionally) If he ruins it for everyone, we then have less freedom. Same rule applies in Theme Parks, I am sure if people were responsible and left their phone in either their pocket or on the side in the control booth, you would only need to look at it every once in a while if you got a text or something, then there would not be a problem... (Sorry I am going on a bit here.....) I will end with this comment............

If you want to work at a Theme Park, follow the god damn rules or leave and go work somewhere else, where guests lives are not in your hands!!!

P.S. I don't know if you figured it out, but I hate people playing with mobile phones

The only phone I have with me in the park and at the rides is from the interal network. My cell remains in my locker, that's the policy, you can check your texts in your break.

^^^^ The cell phone deal is just annoying everywhere. This year alone, I've seen done at all 6 major parks I've been to and all 4 parks with kiddie credits. It is just insane at the kiddie parks.

The worst was Safari Land's go-kart operator was on the phone, as in taking a call with a friend, during a cycle. Glad nothing bad happened.

I work at Walibi World (together with Lennart, he's hanging around somewhere here too) and I can tell you that nothing is so frustrating as having a collegue that's slow as hell. Most of the time I work at Space Shot or at one of the coasters and most of the operators don't seem to bother about letting trains hang in the brakes for hours.

The most funny part of the job is when you have to start at 11:30, giving everyone brakes. When I start there's a massive line, and after an hour working there it's almost gone... I mean, some just don't understand how much they affect the queuetime

The only phone I have with me in the park and at the rides is from the interal network. My cell remains in my fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, that's the policy, you can check your texts in your break.

Its good to see that some people still enjoy working at their own parks and follow the rules!!!

One of my close friends is a Team Manager at a certain large London based park and is really dedicated to getting throughputs at their highest whilst loading correctly and safely, a few years ago he was working at Alton Towers as lead op on AIR, he still holds the record for highest throughput during the course of a days operation. I have seen him work and it is obvious he loves his job and makes sure his colleagues are working correctly.

I know that the pay at Theme Parks isn't particularily great, however if you choose to work there the pay obviously shouldn't bother you, otherwise find another job!!!!

A little bit of useless information for you all, if anyone of you have been on SAW at Thorpe, notice how the station crew do a "Thumbs Down" signal instead of a Thumbs Up sign....also how they ask everyone (99% of the time) to put their hands in the air and wave (this is to check for loose objects in the ride car) now I have to admit, I have seen illegal POV's on YouTube from Saw, so obviously this is not a full proof way of checking things, but it is great to see how one persons way of working can affect how an entire ride operates and improves the whole ride experience!

As many have heard, so I won't deny it, I work at Knott's. And we have all the typical problems. Can't say too much for I love my job.

I can say that I love when guests feel they are smarter than us. They moan and complain abdout his or that, but the rule is the rule. Your kid's too short, sorry. Got flip flops (on Silver Bullet), must come off.

But yeah, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. I've seen fellow Ride Ops who are so rude when telling a guest they can't ride or something. The worst part of our job is hands down telling someone they're too short. But you do it compassionately, and then point them not to Knott's guest service, but to the B&M website, for filing a complaint about height

We are human, and as mentioned several times, some of us actually do like our jobs, but far more don't give a rat's a$$

At Playland, where I work, we have a strict rule about the use of cellphones, music players, gaming devices etc on the job. Same applies even for us sweepers. Yet once in a while I do see ride ops listening to their music players.

The most I've seen was one time I was riding Corkscrew, I rode with an unlocked OTSR because some stupid person forgot! I wasn't hurt or anything as Corkscrew has enough force in the inversions to keep someone in (like when you spin a bucket of water upside down) and there's no hangtime. Corkscrew still uses the old Arrow trains that need to be locked and unlocked manual with foot pedals (1 pedal unlocks the entire car, I was the only one in that car). Was still scary anyways.

The most I've seen was one time I was riding Corkscrew, I rode with an unlocked OTSR because some stupid person forgot! I wasn't hurt or anything as Corkscrew has enough force in the inversions to keep someone in (like when you spin a bucket of water upside down) and there's no hangtime. Corkscrew still uses the old Arrow trains that need to be locked and unlocked manual with foot pedals (1 pedal unlocks the entire car, I was the only one in that car). Was still scary anyways.

That's just like in Final Destination 3, which oddly enough, uses that same coaster!

As for me, ride ops being annoying, yes I've seen, but compromising their job performance, not really. For the most part they've either been cheerful and having a great time operating the ride, or just staying quiet and doing their jobs right (and yes I have been to SFMM and KBF). These two stories come to mind though:

1. Journey to Atlantis at SWSA - ride broke down for 10 minutes or so and this lady was on the loudspeakers asking everyone "do you want to play a game while we wait?" Man, we were all being a really tough crowd, yelling "NO!". Part of me felt sorry for her, but at the same time I understood why we were all wanting them to just get the ride fixed and leave us alone.

2. Firehawk at King's Island, my second ride in the evening - op was singing various songs over the speaker system and trying to get us to guess what song she was singing, and then at one point when this other guy op said something to her (couldn't quite hear what he said exactly) she blatantly told him to shut up over the loudspeaker!

While I've had the typical don't-check-the-restraints ops, one particular ride op comes to mind from Mt. Olympus. My group of friends and I were riding the Go-Kart course. Well, once the ride was over I pulled into the station slowly and stopped, but this girl came speeding into the station and rammed right into my car (she probably didn't know where the brake was, considering they never really announced it and she was probably only 12), resulting in everyone in the line of cars getting a quick jolt forward and some nice whiplash. The op proceeded to walk over to my car and yell at me for about a minute, despite my protests that I stopped on time and the fact that the car behind me was totally crooked from hitting me so hard. My favorite part of the lecture was "Were you even paying attention?"

nothing stupid that i've seen. though a lot of the ops at BGA don't check the restraint well. to "check" that it is locked, they slide their finger on the handles...just to make sure

I remember the OPs on BBW at BGW did the same thing a few years ago.

I think everyone involved with Fun Forest deserves an award for helping make it what may be the worst amusement park in the USA. The ride areas are smothered in litter (this is the exact and extreme opposite of a Cedar Fair park). The rides are worn-looking, and some of the rides (including one coaster) are bolted to blocks of wood instead of metal/concrete/whatever it's supposed to be. WTF; I've never seen that before.

As far as ops go, apart from being a bit scruffy looking, they almost never checked restraints on any ride. For example, I didn't get checked on 4 out of my 6 rides on Windstorm. Also, at least one wasn't wearing their uniform (which is a very casual t-shirt), which made for confusion. And, they're not very articulate. When I was hoping to ride Music Express, the op told the two other boarding riders "No, don't sit there, come over here!" I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do...should I follow him? Was I even noticed? Well, he led me to a car on the exact opposite side from the other riders. A simple "We need to balance out the weight of the riders" would have made things clear from the beginning.