TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wearing glasses on a coaster

Well I only did it because I thought it would be funny that's all. Now I realize it isin't. I just thought I could pull it off because it was a Science Day and alot of kids were bringing their bags, calculators, notepads, and even those little acceleration measuring things on the ride.

And I even noticed none of those things had strings or cords on them.

As for spare change or any money, I would never take it onto a ride ever just in my hands. I always put it in a zippered pocket. Same goes for IDs and cellphones.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glasses policies are very inconsistent from one park to another, but they're all intended to prevent injury to all riders. (However, intention does not necessarily equal logic. Still, you have to go with what the park asks.)

I wear my glasses on every ride that allows it (even Top Spins and such, on the rare occasions I ride those). And I only wear a strap if park policy requires it (Cedar Point, for example). I've never had any problems.

In my opinion, the details of park policy seems to depend largely on whether or not the people who set said policy wear glasses themselves.

/I agree with Holiday World. The safest place for (properly-fitted prescription) glasses is on your face.

I wear my glasses on every ride that allows it (even Top Spins and such, on the rare occasions I ride those). And I only wear a strap if park policy requires it (Cedar Point, for example).

Even on Top Spins? I recall one strapless Top Spin ride with my finger on the bridge of my wanting-to-fall-off glasses throughout. Like Radiohead says, gravity always wins.

I wear my glasses on every ride that allows it (even Top Spins and such, on the rare occasions I ride those). And I only wear a strap if park policy requires it (Cedar Point, for example).

Even on Top Spins? I recall one strapless Top Spin ride with my finger on the bridge of my wanting-to-fall-off glasses throughout. Like Radiohead says, gravity always wins.

Yeah, but I do worry about it on those--hand hovering and all that. Still, no problems. I did lose 'em on that little butterfly slide at Dollywood's Splash Country, though.

Anyway, my point isn't so much that everyone can or should wear them on everything. Do what makes you feel the most comfortable, within the park's rules. (Of course, I usually bring my old pair with me on trips, just in case....)

/Also, Radiohead rules.

I always wear my contacts when I go to parks so I've never worn my glasses. But I wear sunglasses a lot; I think I've worn them on every rollercoaster I've been on (with the exception of Kingda Ka and just a few others). I've never, ever had a problem, they've never fallen off or anything.

I think if they're a bit snug it helps, for the record lol.

More often than not you should take off those glasses when you're going on a big ride. even with straps, some ride ops may ask you to take them off. It depends.

I've never EVER had that problem, even on big rides like Millennium Force or TTD. They've always allowed me to wear them as long as I showed them the strap.

I don't usually have a problem with losing my glasses on rides (though bafflingly, they will not stay on my face during show choir), but I usually don't wear them anyway. For me the wind in my face is an integral part of the ride, and glasses hinder that sensation. So I remove them.

I have glasses with cable earpieces or whatever they are called. Old school style like Indiana Jones that wrap around your ears. They hold the glasses tight on my head like goggles. NEVER had even a hint of a problem. I will wear a strap if the park requires it, but with the cable arms it is totally not needed. Also, if you have problem with your glasses sliding down your nose, the cable arms fix that as well. I'll never get glasses without them again!

It's rare that I ride a coaster WITHOUT glasses of some sort, policy against it or not, flyers being the sole exception. There's been times where I've had to reach up and hold them in place a couple of times, namely rough wooden coasters that bounce you around. Glasses will not randomly come flying off from wind (unless you ride with your head tilted to the sky and the air catches underneath) or physics.

Besides, thats what the glasses are designed for, not to fall off.

I somehow doubt that some designer at L.A. Eyeworks thought, "Let's see, will these stay on during hangtime on a Top Spin?"

Like I said, Croakies. Cheap, portable, effective, make you look like an absolute geek.

Besides, thats what the glasses are designed for, not to fall off.

I somehow doubt that some designer at L.A. Eyeworks thought, "Let's see, will these stay on during hangtime on a Top Spin?"

Like I said, Crakes. Cheap, portable, effective, make you look like an absolute geek.

Not my point. Not designed to stay specifically on roller coasters, per say, just to stay on in general.

With a few exceptions, I almost always remove my glasses before riding.

Even if they won't fall off, I would just spend the entire time of the ride being anxious about it and not enjoying it at all. The trade off is that I can't see that well but so be it.

Not my point. Not designed to stay specifically on roller coasters, per say, just to stay on in general.

And my point is that, depending on the design and tightness of the temple pieces, glasses that normally "stay on" because gravity presses them down on the ears and nose, may very well fall off if somebody sweaty is hanging upside down, say on a Top Spin or V2 or...

Oh, forget it...this conversation is getting pretty peculiar.