TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beginner FPS'?

Homer

I don't know if I am the only one here that has not played an FPS yet...

I kinda wish I got an Xbox instead of a Gamecube now because for the past few years at school, the game everybody loves is the Halo series. But now, I am looking to get into the FPS genre of gaming and I would like some recommendations for a nice FPS game on the Gamecube or PS2. I was thinking of nabbing a copy of Metroid Prime on the cheap at EB.

Any other good first person shooters on the Cube/PS2?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Metroid is just about the best first person game, period, IMO.

BUt, its not exactly a shooter in the traditional sence, yes, you shoot things, but you don't aimm yourself (lock-on) and the game is centered more around puzzles and exploration then combat.

But its still an amazing game.

^ Agreed.

I usually loath the FPS genre of video games, I just don't find most of them even remotely fun to play. After a friend forced me practically a knife point to sit down and play Metroid Prime, I couldn't put it down. It's so good in my opinion that it transcends the FPS genre.

From what I hear if you want a good multiplayer game go for the Halo 1&2 as well as the more recent Gears of War (if you plan on getting a 360). I haven't played any of these games though, and probably won't in the future.

XIII is really bad. A couple of good ones for PS2 are black and killzone. If you want you should really try them for pc (ie fear HALO or any of the source games). Really though all the good FPS are for xbox and 360 (gears of war is the thing right now untill halo 3 comes out)

Metroid is just about the best first person game, period, IMO.

BUt, its not exactly a shooter in the traditional sence, yes, you shoot things, but you don't aimm yourself (lock-on) and the game is centered more around puzzles and exploration then combat.

I'd consider it more of a rail shooter.

I couldn't get past it's controls.

I'm just too used to being able to look with the second analog stick. Which isn't possible with the castrated 2nd analog stick on the gamecube.

From what I hear if you want a good multiplayer game go for the Halo 1&2 as well as the more recent Gears of War (if you plan on getting a 360). I haven't played any of these games though, and probably won't in the future.
no & no

One is full of hackers & cheaters, the other is boring compared to the very similar (and much better in every way other than graphics) Rainbow Six Vegas.

Also, Timesplitters 2 for cube would be the way to go...easy, yet hard

You can report "t3h uber haxz0rz" by leaving a giving them a cheating feedback. Also, just kill the superjumpers. It takes a while to do it and it leaves them EXTREMELY vulnerable. Halo 2 I think is the one to go with. Or Call of Duty 3. The new multiplayer features look awesome.

I'm just too used to being able to look with the second analog stick

Hold the 'R' button.

Yes, I know you can do that. But it's still annoying to have to hold a button to free look.

The control scheme that has one analog 100% devoted to free looking is so much better.

I know you're looking for a GCN/PS2 FPS game, but if you want a PC game, try Star Wars Battlefront 2. A single online session can have up to 64 players! The graphics are amazing, and there are many different modes and levels of play. You can also do story mode or play offline against computers. The controls were VERY simple to pick up - move camera with the mouse and shoot with the left button. Use arrow keys to move forward/backwards/sideways. (There is a PS2 version, but the controls are tougher to master than on the PC)

^Battlefront isn't a FPS....

FPS is where you ARE the character, not looking at the character from behind.

Black for PS2 is really cool, I just bought it last night. I recommend that or Call of Duty 2/3.

Also, MoH: Frontline is a great game. The new ones are crap compared to CoD, but that one was fantastic.