TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WINDY DAY IN OREGON!

buttonman700

The national weather center has posted High wind warnings until 4am! outside my office the winds are gusting, We've lost power at home according Kasey. (great no sleep for me tonight! I use a c-pap to sleep, no power = no sleep for Ed!)

We've had four trees fall on campus tonight and power through downtown is out. the last report I heard said 199,000 people are without power in the valley!

Can't wait to get off work and drive home tonight! Oh and I get to ride a bus tomorrow to take kids home for the Christmas break, should be interesting.

Oh and the Oregon coast is getting hammered with winds up to 100mph right now!

Pray we don't blow away...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After an incredibly boring day at the office, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this on the net. I'll be hearing about it soon enough from my parents. Their neighborhood is heavily wooded and windstorms like these knock a lot of trees down. There have been some very near misses at my parent's house and the neighbors, and I betcha there's one fallen tree across the road blocking traffic.

I don't know what it is, but whenever I go away from home for a period of time, it seems like all these nasty storms and such happen. Why do I get to miss out on all the fun?

Well...

The wind is gone, for now.

We got power back at home around 4:00AM.

There are trees down all over the place, over 100,000 people still with out power, roads closed, and amtrack has canceled service to Seattle due to flooding and mudslides!

I am about to venture to Portland to take kids home for the holidays... I am not looking forward to this trip. ODOT has a great web site, tripcheck.com, you can see all the state traffic cams.

As for the men stuck on Mt. Hood, our prayers are with them and their families. There was just a live breifing, there is still hope these men are alive, but once again the weather is not cooperating. Snow levels have dropped to 1,000 feet today.

The forcast for tomorrow is fiar so here's hoping they catch a break.

Been a few days now but just noticed this thread. We actually avoided loosing our power here in Oregon City (just outside of Portland) and made it through the storm with only a few limbs braking from our tree in the front yard. Living in a area that rarely has ANY wind to speak of really makes it a lot more intense because nothing is used to getting blown around. Oh, and I did find my garbage can in one of my neighbors yards a few houses down but other than that it was all good.

As far as the climbers go, I'm not sure how much national attention this is still getting, but they did find one of the climbers dead in a snow cave on Mt Hood and the other two are feared dead. They found climbing gear that leads them to believe that the climbers tried to anchor themselves to the side of the mountain just above a very high, steep ravine, and were probably blown off due to the incredibly high winds on the mountain at that time. Hopefully that is not what happened but chances are very slim they are still alive.