TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 116: Space 220 Restaurant Grand Opening report posted!

Yes two rooms for the design (got to nab 6 rides on it yesterday). Fastpass riders will have the opportunity to select a pre made car before moving to the merge point in the queue. I love the overall new experience! The world of motion icons put into the signage, and some awesome visuals. I think a def win for the GP, as they will eat it up for sure!

Spoilers from my ride experiences. I apologize in advance if I loose you in this review or if I reiterate too often.

Walking into the queue, and seeing just how different the layout is, well stunning. Chevy displays a full-size concept vehicle on the left of stand-by, and a case containing the four aspects of the "design": Capability (yellow), Efficiency (green), Responsiveness (blue), and Power (purple). The yellow pulled apart car thing was also very cool eye candy, and rounding behind it all to see the white car shaped blob that had projected imagery on it was a nice touch. Heading up to the staging area for the design studio, it was nice to see interactive monitors that allow the designer to preview how to create their car before actually doing it.

When you get to the design studio, you begin with the choosing a car or truck design, and draw a line, which ultimately shapes the vehicle. The line becomes "optimized" into a more defined shaped, that allows you to alter at certain points, and a vehicle is generated. Once created, the designer can sculpt the vehicle by pulling and pushing parts of the car, as well as change the size of the wheel base, widen the car, etc. When this is all happening, the top of the screen displays the 4 categories (Capability, Efficiency, Responsiveness, and Power) and the values are changed as you alter the car. You then choose the engine for your car, with several choices from eco friendly - to power hungry, sacrificing values in efficiency or power. The final step includes some final touches to the vehicle, painting it, adding decals, and accessories and wheels. At this point, you'll see how outlandish (but fun!) you can make your vehicle, from monster truck sized tires to over the top hood scoops. Some of these things adjust the values of the 4 categories, and display when it boost points in one or subtract from the other. We saw that some accessories did change the values of the 4 categories, even though it wasn't mentioned beside the accessory on the screen.

You then continue the merge point, where it was in the old TT. The design of the new queue is clever, since the Fastpass and single rider are so separated, the things such as the design studio and layout keep stand by riders occupied and distracted from the quick flow that fastpass lines generally have with guests.

The boarding process is the same as the old TT, except RFID readers with small displays have been added to each "spot" that you stand on. I was told that it is important to scan your card before the gate opens to the car, as if you scan when the gate is open to board, your vehicle design will be uploaded to the next car. As this was just testing, my vehicle never uploaded to the Test Track car that I rode in.

Onto the ride portion, as you pull towards the seatbelt check, the "hello, the seatbelt check is around the corner" spiel is the same, but a male voice now talks in a much more mellow pace, the new voice of TT. It sort of sounds like one of those voices that you'd hear on one of those relaxation cd's. (No idea if anyone knows what I mean). When you get to the seatbelt check CM, that has you tug on the yellow strap, It is easy to notice that the lighting on the track to the left to the maintenance bay has been turned off, and the focus goes to uphill portion of the ride (easily one of my favorite parts). The uphill climb has massive murals on both sides of the track, with some containing projection effects, as the car says, "welcome to the sim track". It is an awesome open to the ride, with cool black lighted stars on the celling. You pass under the first of many arches, this one being yellow, marking the Capability testing. The track and guard rails are painted with yellow black light painting. The Belgium and German blocks are going, and more big murals with projectors are on the sides, and your car "connects" to On-Star. Into the old abs off / on sequence, the old monitor that Bill talked to you on has been replaced with a frosted piece of glass, that is projected onto, a very nice appearance. The car does the same effect, swerving off at the end of the "track" like it lost control, and turns the corner to repeat the test. As it does, a projector effect occurs, where it looks like a virtual waterfall comes towards the car on the left. The next stretch of road( the old abs on test) has blue outlined black lit set pieces on the sides, (as others have said, heavy usage with black lighting) and you launch towards the efficiency testing (the old hot/cold chambers), and a bolt of lighting hits on the right. Think of it as a virtual tron-like world and appearance. Just before going in, to the left of the car, a model of a futuristic city sits, with projection effects, as well as a monitor displaying the 6 vehicles that were made by the designers, and who scored best in capability. (This part did not work when I rode, as the vehicles were not ours on the monitor). This is the trend for the ride, as you go through each category, the results are displayed. Moving on to Efficiency (green theme), the old hot chamber "scans" the car with lighting. The old cold chamber, shows a wind tunnel effect, and then the old corrosion chamber also has a "scan" effect on both sides of the car. Overall, this part was just ok, as the effects were just nothing special and non surprising. As you move into the Responsiveness (blue theme) test, a laser effect projects onto cut out black tree shapes, to appear that it is drawing the trees. When going through the curvy road, black light again is heavily used, as the cut out trees from the old TT are reused, outlined with blue black light paint. The track and guard rails are also painted with blue black light paint. You continue to the truck, yes it's still there, now with blue headlights, and a neat effect where rather than putting show lighting on the truck, they outlined it with lasers. As you arrive to the power effect (old crash test) you round the corner to see all 4 categories illuminate (almost like they are loading up). And the car says, " and now its time for the final test. Power. The room lights up, and plays epic (ok, well I like it) music as you launch through several purple arches, onto the outside portion of the track. The outside is the same, no more "Push it, Harder!" quote though.

When exiting the photo viewing area is the same, and a massive screen with RFID readers allows you to see the layout of the ride, as well as where the cars are on the track (no idea if it is truly synced with the cars, or if its just a cool display) and allows the guests to scan their car, and compare to friends to see their final score and how they did. It also displayed the top 10 cars for scoring the highest in each category.

I didn't get a chance to see the rest of the post-show, but as others said, it sounds promising. It is very re-rideable and I found myself wanting to go back to the design studio, trying to optimize the score of my vehicle.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/agent-p-expands-his-mission-through-world-showcase-at-epcot/

Have you joined forces with Agent P at Epcot yet?

The interactive game, Disney Phineas and Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure, debuted earlier this summer but today we’re happy to announce that in the next few weeks, Agent P will be adding new elements to his adventures in the United Kingdom, Mexico and Japan Pavilions.

ape186462LARGE.jpg.7f5b769ff934b89eabc278895ef11b2c.jpg

The game is based on the wily secret-agent alter-ego of Perry the Platypus, a faithful pet to the title characters from Disney’s animated series “Phineas & Ferb.” Although just a simple pet to Phineas and Ferb, Perry turns into Agent P in each episode to help stop the misguided plans of his nemesis, Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

Here at Epcot, guests transform into secret agents to help Agent P thwart some of Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s most daring plots. Agents use a high tech detection device called a “F.O.N.E.” (Field Operative Notification Equipment) to receive clues for each case.

While we don’t want to give away any of the clues ahead of time, here are two landmarks that just debuted as a part of Agent P’s enhanced missions.

ape215648LARGE.jpg.199a463f6885fc37c20e13305ba68bfe.jpgape224465LARGE.jpg.6006c8b1ac0873099a2acc1e3c23bd3c.jpg

The main problem I have this version is the jarring transition from indoor to outdoor. You go from these cool rooms surrounded with very futuristic looking effects to driving over old buildings and whatnot. I just wish they would have done more to keep up the futuristic/digital feel. Other than that I have no real complaints. It definitely has some great effects in it, and I love the idea of designing your own car and testing it against other peoples.

The main problem I have this version is the jarring transition from indoor to outdoor. You go from these cool rooms surrounded with very futuristic looking effects to driving over old buildings and whatnot. I just wish they would have done more to keep up the futuristic/digital feel.

I'm sure that that futuristic feel would be in full force as night falls. Upgraded lighting does wonders.

I think it looks really good overall. Much better than I expected.

Agreed. My thoughts exactly. I had already accepted the fact that "old Test Track" was totally gone, and I was setting my expectations REALLY low... like Journey Into Imagination low. But this looks MUCH better than that!

I've been on the old ride more times than I'd like to admit, and I guess you can say it was kind of "dear" to me, but at the same time, it really was starting to look dated.

I think I'm willing to give this version a "chance" at least... and I'm not hating what I'm seeing in the video.

The comments on this video are horrible! Everyone is like, "OLD Test Track is better!!!!1!" I like this version a lot more than the old one, the original was just very predictable and was just like ho hum this is a car test. I feel like the old one didn't have anything cool or surprising, it was just very literal. But this version I really love! And I'm just glad I won't feel like I'm in the 90's when I ride it anymore!

I think it looks way cooler, but it seem way more impersonal... besides the fact that a car you designed is up on a screen.

The original was pretty corny, but i think it had a more involved feeling to it. This really has a sorta Rocket Rods vibe to it I think, just kinda zipping around with neat things to look at. I guess what little dialogue there is, it's better than the bleeps and bloops or Rocket Rods.

Connecting to... OnStar

The comments on this video are horrible! Everyone is like, "OLD Test Track is better!!!!1!" I like this version a lot more than the old one, the original was just very predictable and was just like ho hum this is a car test. I feel like the old one didn't have anything cool or surprising, it was just very literal. But this version I really love! And I'm just glad I won't feel like I'm in the 90's when I ride it anymore!

I imagine there were similar complaints when Test Track replaced World of Motion.

That was so cool, and something that deserves to be in Epcot! It is just... Amazing.

I don't understand the negative feedback on the video. The old Test Track, while fun, had this giant warehouse vibe. It felt empty. Like it was missing something. Now, it's a bonafide E-Ticket and extremely beautiful in the interior. The projections and scenes are stunning. I can't comment on the whole experience, but I'm sure I'll be even more amazed once I ride it in person.

The original was pretty corny, but i think it had a more involved feeling to it.

The video makes it seem like there's a lot of driving around and getting PA announcements about the tests that are being done on your car (especially in the first half of the ride), so I share that concern. Using the old hot/cold rooms as an example -- yes, dated as they were (especially in design), that was something you could feel. I'm sure there's probably more interaction than what was just evident in the video, though. I want to feel like I'm in a car being tested, not just be told about it by a pleasant, detached announcer.

The visuals are outstanding. The tunnel effect at the launch and the lightning bolt stood out.

I love the new version of Test Track. It's certainly better than the old one which felt too stuck-in-the-mid-90's. Now it feels more up-to-date and fitting with the theming of "Future World" at EPCOT. I don't really see why everyone on the FB/YT pages are bashing this so hard as it has all of the same "Test Car" elements that the old version had but it's more up-to-date. If they randomly had Eric Idle slapped into the ride, then I would see a reason to complain.

I actually really do like what they've done. Its not perfect, but its a much welcomed refresh for a clearly aged ride. This as a whole does feel much more "Epcot" to me.

However, I still think the ending is one of the most disappointing things in any Disney Park. There's no "falling action" at all. You go fast, then the ride ends abruptly. That alone makes me prefer RSR which feels much more complete in the ending.