TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 114: Brand-new entrance fountain unveiled!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EPCOT is about one thing: making money for Disney. Does Guardians make money? *Glances at box office returns* Why, yes. Yes it does. Case closed.

Just because you don’t think it is good, it doesn’t mean the rest of the visiting majority agrees with your opinion. But I guess that’s the beauty of numbers... Everyone is entitled to their own opini

I think “terrible” is a matter of perspective. Also understand that the person you’re debating this with has a long-proven admiration of Epcot in its classic form... Just look up Epcot’s 25th annivers

Posted Images

Im pretty sure this is what you guys had in mind for a 3D printer. This is from the IAAPA report. I could absolutely see Disney doing something like this.

615368_10151285667773566_491687866_o.jpg

^yes exactly, I bet Disney could use that to make your design car that you make in Test Track and sell it for like 30-50 bucks. What kid would not want there custom car to take home?

Sounds pretty great, and quite a bit to do with your car after the ride, like race it, make a commercial, and of course see what the scores are compared to others. You get a card with your car on it to scan and play the different activities

Rode it yesterday about 4 times. Not every effect is working yet, Today may have been the first day with everything on...

Spoilers ahead!

The actual ride is actually referred to as the Sim Track.

Heavy use of Blacklight and brings a sort of Tron Vibe. Almost all traces of 98 Test Track are gone! (Exception of some Black and Yellow paints in Load/Unload areas and the Maintenance Bay) And the Semi-Truck gag is back but really well done.

Lots of little references to EPCOT Center, World of Motion and even a Cars reference!

Designing the car is very similar to Sum of All Thrills! But a lot more fun! you can create anything from realistic concept car to Even a huge Truck that looks like a tank! (Thats what I did!)

Did not experience post show beyond the big screen that shows every ones car and stats (Much like the Globe post show at Spaceship Earth)

They were cycling cars much closer than what I remember... On the Speed Loop, I felt like a Hot Wheels on those old plastic dueling tracks with the motors.

The design stage has variable design times of 9 mins, 7 mins, and 5 mins. Based on line length... So I see it never going to 9 mins, maybe 7 mins in January/February.

The line will constantly have at least a 60 min wait time. Fastpasses will be gone in an hour. Because every family with a male child will want to go and design their own car. Actually everyone will want to ride, even if all they want to do is design their own car.

My opinion: Even with not everything working right quite yet, It is a significant improvement over the past Test Track. No more industrial feel, all sleek Tron/Epcot Center feel. This is the best re-imagining Disney has done at Epcot,or even Walt Disney World, rivaling Summer Nighttastic's Tower of Terror. Its a must not miss.

But I will say this: Bill McKim. You will be missed...

I was able to ride it 7 times today at cast preview. I second everything the person above me said about the ride. I do want to express concern about the q-line, though. It really is smaller than the original line and I'm wondering how many people will it hold. (Or, if there will be a extended queue line outside the building.).

I do think it's amazing though, the entire queue line has been re profiled and it makes you try to wonder where everything used to be.

Random spoilers and funny story:

I miss the heat detection display at the end. Also, techno sound effects are reused from Mission: Space. (Say hello to the noises that play when you press a button on the control panels.) No more track "B" /sad. Fast Pass and Single Rider do NOT have the ability to make their own car, if you get these you will bypass the pre-show/event. Also, obviously when you have a new ride, you expect issues. Well, towards the end of the day, the ride e-stopped, there was only one group of girls on the ride and I was waiting for my last turn before they shut down the ride. Well, funny enough, the entire 30 minutes the ride was down, the girls were screaming for help. Screaming bloody murder. It was highly amusing, the other cast members were laughing as well. Oh well, nothing they could do aside from playing the memo about the ride being down.

Either way, it was a fun ride. Some will like it, some won't. However, I think for the GP, this is more impressive than the first rendition.

That's a little disappointing that Fastpass and single riders can't take part in the car design show, but they didn't take part in the old pre-show anyway so I suppose it's no big deal. I guess I'll just have to ride it first thing the next time I go to EPCOT so I can get the full experience.

I was riding again today when they allowed cast members into the post show to look around before they closed it back up again. So......more spoilers.

In the post show:

-You can take a virtual photo of yourself with your car.

-You can drive your creative car via simulators. ( I did not see them, but a test track cast member told all about it.

There is a lot I still didn't get to see, but it seems like the post-attraction area is a attraction itsself, sort of like how mission space has it's area. Another thing to add; the system where the tracks you make are uploaded to the cars still doesn't work, so I can't say how cool it is to have your track ranked yet.

Also, funfacts. The design studio runs Windows 7 enterprise. They are cycling cars every 10 seconds, and I don't see any reason that they shouldn't be able to do this when guests are here, due to loading precedures.

That's a little disappointing that Fastpass and single riders can't take part in the car design show, but they didn't take part in the old pre-show anyway so I suppose it's no big deal. I guess I'll just have to ride it first thing the next time I go to EPCOT so I can get the full experience.

I'm totally ok with that. Part of me wanting to do either Fast Pass and especially single rider is to get to the attraction as quickly as possible and bypass as much of the queue as I can. The "design a car" thing sounds very similar to the Dumbo "next gen" queue as it gives you something to do while you wait in line, virtually speaking. So I'm totally ok skipping all that if I choose to go the Fast Pass or single rider route.

--Robb "Actually happy to hear you get to skip it!" Alvey

The "Design a Car" thing sounds like something that would cool to do once but not necessary to do every time. Just get there at rope drop and do it first thing in the morning and then you can use Fast Pass/Single Rider after that.

Edited by ernierocker

Someone please just tell me they have gotten rid of the three old "pre-show" rooms that used to bottle neck the queue. That was easily the thing I hated the most about Test Track. Please tell me those rooms have been totally removed!

^No. There are two design rooms.

The entire queue line is on ground level now, until you get out of the design lab, where you hit the ramps and go around where the old preshow area used to be. Robb, the entire queue line has been re-profiled. Nothing is remotely the same to the original layout. In addition, the design studios are MUCH larger than the old preshow rooms. The rooms don't exit directly into the queue line as well, like the old one did. Instead, both rooms empty into a spacious room where the ramp up the the ride begins. Personally, I can see this working well. There are two rooms, each holding 34 design computers, and you can have up to three people using the same design computer at one time.