TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 112: New Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind train photo!

I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do Navi River Journey and Flight of Passage have to do with animals? Should they replace them with a petting zoo or something? What do gas powered cars have to do with the future? What does a cre

There have been some great new updates from Disney Parks today! First, check out some brand new footage of the prototype ride vehicles of Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT!

Zach Riddley from Walt Disney Imagineering has shared this new sneak peek at the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind coaster trains! https://www.instagram.com/p/CHN7LPLB_5C/ Here is

Posted Images

I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

Yeah I forgot how quickly they turned that one around, and I never though about the drone show from last Christmas being a potential "test" but that makes sense. Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Yeah, absoultely. That show wasn't really about producing something amazing, IMO, it was more about making sure the tech could work. I think if we see it as part of a new Illuminations, it will be one of many things that would be included in the show.

Drones would be fantastic in a new "Illuminations". The big flaw in the current show is that the globe comes out in the middle and the space for the show is so big that you can't f*ing see the thing (and not much really happens during that whole bit anyway). With movable, non-exploding Drones you could go wide enough around the area that everyone can see something up close.

My biggest hope for a new show is that it's not littered with IP. I know that this is the direction that Disney and Universal have been charging into, which is both good and bad. The problem is that with Fantasmic and Happily Ever After (or Star Wars Fireworks), you already have two major night shows that are extremely character heavy. If this one became a pure "movie moments" style show, that's too far a departure from the "togetherness and world culture" themes of the current performance and would make the night-time spectaculars redundant.

They did a drone show at the PNE last summer (2017) in Vancouver. It was pretty good, although a few times,

it looked like the little drones were lost where they were, in the sky, lol. And they did nothing big, like in the test

that WDW did.

I'm sure Disney has tweeked the drones to the point they will fly, even bigger and better, in more complex configurations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just sad they wouldn't be using the same music. Reflections of Earth is pretty much my favorite piece of music, period.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to EPCOT for New Year's Eve. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding what to do?

• 5 weeks later...

I saw pictures of the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster and saw it was being built by Vekoma. This led me to the question of why does Disney like to use Vekoma for coasters. I think Intamin or maybe S&S would've been a better choice for Rock n' Roller Coaster. Even Seven Darfs Mine Train was built by Vekoma. The only ride I don't argue with is Expedition Everest because they did a fabulous job on that ride. I also looked up who built big thunder mountain and saw that a company named dynamic structures built it, but they seem to not build coasters, does anyone know why Disney chose them.

I'm just sad they wouldn't be using the same music. Reflections of Earth is pretty much my favorite piece of music, period.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to EPCOT for New Year's Eve. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding what to do?

Just seeing this post, but I attended New Year's Eve at Epcot last year, so if I can offer some advice.

#1. It's the busiest day of the year, so go in expecting that! Test Track through fastpass around 9PM last year was a 30 minute wait for us, and it was 240!!! Minutes posted for Standby. We asked the cast member at merge what the ratio was for guests and she said 1 (single) person from standby per vehicle-design room. Spaceship Earth standby was over 2 hours with all queue completely full. Any rides you want to do you will have to have fastpass for. Also there are huge waits for food parkwide (Electric Umbrella queue was snaking outside near mousegears), and some of the bathrooms as well. I think we ate in Japan which wasn't too bad of a line.

However, I've never had more fun at Epcot. They set up a Silent Disco in the plaza behind Spaceship Earth's exit and you could choose between two different DJs. In China, there was literally a fire-breathing dragon above the crowd, playing modern EDM. In Italy they had a phenomenal house DJ who I think was on-set for at least 6 hours. The park was also well-managed, they had cast members arm-to-arm around the entire world showcase who were directing traffic flow in two lanes, and there was tape marking the areas you could stand in for fireworks. We got our spot about 45 minutes before midnight and had a good view from Mexico pavillion area, I'd plan 15 minutes earlier next time. For the midnight fireworks they play normal Illuminations (which they ALSO played at like 8PM I think), followed by a much more interesting NYE segment with a gigantic finale. They also opened up backstage areas to walk from the world showcase to the front areas, such as from Canada to the Land pavillion which were open the whole day. They give out noisemakers (and fun hats) also which were really annoying at first, but quieted down as people got bored of them.

I saw pictures of the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster and saw it was being built by Vekoma. This led me to the question of why does Disney like to use Vekoma for coasters. I think Intamin or maybe S&S would've been a better choice for Rock n' Roller Coaster. Even Seven Darfs Mine Train was built by Vekoma. The only ride I don't argue with is Expedition Everest because they did a fabulous job on that ride. I also looked up who built big thunder mountain and saw that a company named dynamic structures built it, but they seem to not build coasters, does anyone know why Disney chose them.

Disney is much more "hands on" in the development of rides. Essentially a manufacturer has to agree to being a subcontractor to Disney instead of running a whole project as they normally would. Disney and Vekoma obviously have a very good working relationship where both parties benefit, so why mess with a good thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well add this to the discussion thread as well as the IAAPA thread. Today at IAAPA Bob Chapek announced some new details about the Guardians Roller Coaster. From this short video we can take away the following:

- Vekoma is working on the ride.

- The ride vehicle design was announced.

- The ride vehicles will turn (doesn't sound like it will spin freely.)

- The coaster will launch at some point.

- It's not a flying coaster.

Here's the video and some images of the coaster cars:

1361184516_ridevehicle1.thumb.jpg.2f9c4eb2f7cd6f659554c8a71856f666.jpg

1037112798_ridevehicle2.thumb.jpg.e72458f47dfffcb75ff67f764562a7e2.jpg

Edited by robbalvey
Might as well add this to the discussion thread as well as the IAAPA thread. Today at IAAPA Bob Chapek announced some new details about the Guardians Roller Coaster. From this short video we can take away the following:

- Vekoma is working on the ride.

- The ride vehicle design was announced.

- The ride vehicles will turn (doesn't sound like it will spin freely.)

- The coaster will launch at some point.

- It's not a flying coaster.

Here's the video and some images of the coaster cars:

Has Disney ever done such an inside baseball announcement before? I was shocked to hear the ride system manufacturer name dropped and then actual test footage shown. I know it's a trade event but still I don't recall ever seeing anything like this before. Love the transparency.

Has Disney ever done such an inside baseball announcement before? I was shocked to hear the ride system manufacturer name dropped and then actual test footage shown. I know it's a trade event but still I don't recall ever seeing anything like this before. Love the transparency.

No. Not at all. This is a new positioning for them. I remember when we were doing our press construction tours of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train they would not talk at all about Vekoma's involvement. Now I have no idea if maybe because this was at an "industry" event that may have something to do with it, but I have never heard them mention ride manufacturers before. And they also talked about the Skyliner developer, too! So it wasn't just Vekoma.