TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

I rather enjoyed all the WOL attractions, especially Cranium Command. (But then, I've even enjoyed the boring boat ride past hydroponic tomatoes.) Makes you realize how over the years EPCOT has either been dumbed down or brightened up, depending on your point of view.

Too bad, though, they couldn't have combined The Making of Me and Body Wars into the world's first conception simulator. "And now we're exiting the testicles...and flying down the urethra...and we're heading up the Fallopian tube...Watch out! Ovum!"

Probably would've kept the pavilion busier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/first-look-pizzeria-at-epcot’s-italy-pavilion/

As a pizza lover, I raved when we announced plans for an authentic pizzeria at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot but now I’m really craving a first slice after seeing what’s coming later this year. This is your first official peek at what the new 300-seat restaurant will look like. And yes, that’s outside dining and vaulted-ceilings.

We’re still waiting for word on an official name but thought you’d like to see this artist rendering first on The Disney Parks Blog.

pizzeria1034_large.jpg.47c05e430500aae42cc4c05ea37416f5.jpg

It always surprises me that the food served at Theme Parks is often so blahhhhh.

At Disneys west coast parks, the pizza at Disneyland and DCA is equally awful. Yet in between those two parks at Downtown Disney is a restaurant called Naples Ristorante, which makes an excellent pie. A large pizza at Naples Ristorante does cost between $37 to $44, but I thought it was excellent. They also sell their pizza by the slice, which still cost less than what they charge inside the parks.

When you consider the premium your paying for a typical meal at the parks, you would think they improve the quality of what is offered.

I don't need anything fancy for my theme park pizza. My earliest memories of WDW is sitting at Tomorrowland Terrace having my yummy cheese pizza. Sure it might not be anything close to real NY pizza but it was good for me. $37 - $40 for a large pizza? No thanks. I can get 3 18inch pies at my local place for that amount.

But overall, I guess I am happy to see them opening something new. ANYTHING new in a theme park is a good thing.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/update-cantina-de-san-angel-at-epcots-mexico-pavilion/

Another construction wall at Epcot, this time it’s at the Mexico Pavilion along the World Showcase Lagoon waterfront. The popular Cantina de San Angel restaurant is expanding, and when the wall comes down there will be 400 seats – both al fresco and air-conditioned seating for lunch and a coveted spot for dinner and viewing IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, the nightly Epcot fireworks spectacular. A table-service restaurant will occupy half the space.

We hear that the tall frozen margaritas stay on the menu when the new eatery opens in the fall, just in time for the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. Until then, you can get your guacamole fix inside at San Angel Inn, or at La Cava de Tequila, with 95 varieties of tequila to taste (our preference is the buttery avocado margarita, the richness cut with fresh lime juice and agave nectar syrup). If you’re just passing by, the Taqueria del Lago kiosk serves Mexican favorites such as nachos and mixes a delicious margarita for sipping and strolling.

We have high hopes for a fresh menu, and expect delicious south-of-the border creations from the folks at San Angel Inn LLC, who have run both the outside eatery and the pavilion’s San Angel Inn for a quarter of a century.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/03/first-look-cantina-de-san-angel-expansion-at-epcot/

Earlier today, Thomas shared a first look at an amazing pizzeria opening at Epcot Italy Pavilion. And now I’ve got a sneak peek of what you can expect to see when the construction wall comes down at the Mexico Pavilion later this year. If you’ve visited Epcot recently, you know the Cantina de San Angel restaurant is expanding. This artist rendering gives you a good idea of what seating looks like at the restaurant when work is completed. There will be 400 seats – both al fresco and air-conditioned seating for lunch and a coveted spot for dinner and viewing IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

And, if you’re curious about the menu, I shared some highlights earlier this month. Please let us know what you think of the look.

cantina134203_large.jpg.2373278a3e4e0f0fec2366faecfb01b9.jpg

Wow, cool redo of that outdoor Mexico Place!

As for the Italy Pizza Place, as I mentioned before Disney's Pizza is TERRIBLE, and I believe that this new restaurant is owned by that same amazing place that also owns Naples (mentioned a few posts above) so this can only be good!

• 3 months later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/via-napoli-opens-next-month-at-epcot/

Pastas, wood-fired pizzas, scoops of sweet gelato – here’s a first look at the menu for the new Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria at the Epcot Italy Pavilion. Opening next month the 300-seat restaurant expands dining choices (our favorite Tutto Italia stays). Created by the Patina Restaurant Group’s CEO Nick Valenti, the menu is based on his travels in Southern Italy and his time developing and overseeing the successful Naples 45 Ristorante e Pizzeria in New York. Valenti spent time in Naples studying the art of dough, crust, sauce and oven temperatures at the famous pizzerias Da Michele and Trianon. A feature at Via Napoli is its wood-burning ovens, cleverly named after the three active volcanoes in Italy – Mount Etna, Mount Vesuvius and Stromboli.

Appetizers: Sicilian eggplant with olives and raisins; salad of lettuce, fagiolini (string beans), fennel and tomatoes; arancini (fried saffron risotto balls) with meat ragù, mozzarella and pomodoro sauce; corn-crusted fried calamari; and minestrone with basil pesto. Or share a plate of arancini, mozzarella, calamari, portobella mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini and carciofi (artichokes).

Main course salads: Manzo (filet of beef) with greens, red onion, gorgonzola, apple and cucumber with a red wine-mustard vinaigrette; chopped salad with lemon chicken, greens, cantaloupe, cucumber, red pepper, green beans, onions, almonds and pasta crisps with honey-citrus vinaigrette; calamari with arugula, carrots and fennel with orange vinaigrette.

Pastas: candele (long, tube-shaped pasta) with sausage ragù; linguine with seafood; malfadine (ribbon pasta) with guanciale (unsmoked Italian bacon) and pomodoro sauce; lasagna verde.

Piatti alla Parmigiana: (dishes topped with Parmesan and mozzarella gratinée): veal, chicken and eggplant.

Wood-fired pizzas: made with caputo flour imported from Southern Italy, San Marzano tomatoes, handmade mozzarella and water from a local spring just like in Italy’s Campania region – 10-inch, 20-inch or 1/2 meter to share: a dozen choices, from a simple pizza Margherita with tomato, mozzarella and basil to carciofi with artichoke, potato, pecorino cheese, prosciutto and cantaloupe.

Sweets: tiramisù, zeppole di ricotta (ricotta cheese-fried dough, whipped cream and chocolate sauce); apple cake with almond sorbetti; gelatie; and vanilla gelato with almond cookies and amarena cherries.

• 1 year later...

So upon entering Epcot today, we noticed a few things different... We were all told to go through the bags line, regardless if we had one or not. People in our group that already had a WDW ticket or annual pass were given a sticker to put on their pass. The sticker housed an RFID chip. Those who were buying tickets for the first time at the ticket booths, were given brand new tickets that were a bit thicker than the old tickets, still made out of paper, but also have an RFID chip in them. This goes for any park hopper tickets or annual passes.

One of the sections of turnstiles were replaced by banks of these scanners. You tap your card on the Mickey logo, if it turns green, you're good, and you enter the park. There is no "turnstile" to walk through.

Of course, the first thing you notice is "How are they going to keep people from just walking right in????" I would have to assume they have figured this out.

On the other side of the entrance, there did seem to be some sort of a counter system, and people with lots of custom-made tablets and iPhone-looking systems that appeared to be counting and registering everyone that come in.

Overall, it worked extremely well, and was very "interesting". Here are some photos...

There is a new "turnstile" system in place at Epcot today. Looks to be RFID based. Each ticket will have a chip inside. Tap your ticket to the mouse ears, get a green light, and you're in!

Here's a closeup the new Epcot turnstiles! Tap your ticket, get a green light, you're in! There isn't actually a "turnstile" to walk through anymore!

KidTums tests out the new Epcot RFID entrance system! No turnstile needed!

Shot of the new RFID system currently testing at Epcot. Tap you're ticket. Get a green light. You're in! No actual turnstile to walk through!

Disney management observing the testing of the new "turnstile-less" entry system at Walt Disney World's Epcot.

Of you have an older Walt Disney World ticket, they sticker your ticket with an RFID tag to work with the new entry system.

If you have an old Walt Disney World park ticket, these are the RFID stickers they put on your ticket.

Does this look temporary to you?

The new RFID park tickets have this logo on them.

If you have a WDW Annual Pass, you'll still need to scan your finger.

The system was very interesting...what do you all think?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

They look quote cool actually

As for the finger scanning I think it's going to be more for an ID thing. How so? It'll more than likely be used to stop anyone from entering the park with a stolen pass.

If Robb's got that pass registered under his name, he scans his finger, next time he enters the park it will recognize who he is. Say then if I borrowed the pass and tried to get in, scan my finger - that ball will probably turn red (that's what I'm guessing that thing on the side is for) In short it's a security measure possibly to stop people with stolen passes from getting in - maybe ??