TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I really like Spaceship Earth as is, but I'm sure a redo of the finale will be nice too, and make it much more modern. I'm sure that right after the last redo, the thought of having a teacher in one place, teaching three classes around the world was unheard of. Now, not so much! I love the music in the finale, but I have the MP3 of it, so if it goes, I will survive. I also really hope that this involves taking down the wand!

Well...finally, Disney's doing a change that, for once, everyone agrees with!

I shudder to think of how many people on Disney forums are typing "Walt would be spinning in his grave!" right now! hahaha

-Julie

Well, I love it the way it is, but it appears that they're approaching this refurb the right way. I'm cool with it, just as long as Nemo doesn't find his way into it somehow.

As guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow," where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Now THIS is the kind of stuff that made EPCOT, EPCOT. Kudos on this one. Memo to construction workers: While onsite, don't be afraid to remove a certain wand located just east of large silver ball. Thank you.

I've always thought that the first half of the ride, with its animatronics, was pretty cool, but the second half, with its mannequins staring at computer screens, was a bit of a letdown (thought the music was relaxing, though).

It would be nice if they could take the squeaks and groans out of the Omnimover, too.

Ahh, yet another "new ending." Personally I think both of the "endings" the ride has had were just "ok" so anything better will be welcomed!

Anyone got a good video of V1.0 and V2.0?

--Robb

Silly Robb, you know I've got them somewhere!

This is the best news to come out of Epcot since Norway. And when was that 1988?

Sounds like they are staying true to the message on Epcot's dedication plaque rather than introducing another character overlay. I'm seriously shocked about this. I fully expected to see them add Aladdin's Genie to every scene in various disguises narrating the history of communication. "Oh look," the Genie might say, "the cavemen are painting on the walls. Stay in the lines! Stay in the lines!"

I shot some video of it about a month or so ago, so if anyone wants me to post it, I can. I shot nearly the whole ride, expect for one scene, where I had to switch tapes in my camer

Also, I thought that the squeaks and groans of the ride added to the nostalgia of the ride, considering that I first rode in 1995 and hadn't been to EPCOT until very recently

BTW: Did Robb ever get that "credit"?

^^ Rehab? Is there a 12-step program invovled? j/k

^^^ Please post it, Will. I'm still looking around for my pics from opening week....back when the line snaked around underneath, and extended well into the Communicore area. Ahh, the good ole days.

oh man, totally onboard for this rehab. The last time I was on SE I thought the track was gonna fall apart! Some of the squeaks were so loud it was almost impossible to hear the narration (and even that was spotty as the speakers kept shorting out)! I have my fingers crossed they won't add any characters to it, Pixar or otherwise!

High School MusicalThe Time Travel Tour, anyone?

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I heard from a guy who knows a guy that knew a guy who's brother's friend's sister is an imagineer, and they said that the change will now have character's from Pixar's up coming film, "WALL E" and it will have a strong moral focus on preserving our earth, ect. ect.

^

Spaceship Earth's overhaul is not expected to affect the controversial, giant Mickey Mouse arm and wand structure that was added in 1999. The structure has been the target of heated criticism from some Epcot fans who say it clashes with the park's architecture.

Allen said all the changes will be on the inside.

After my last visit, I was actually embarrassed for good old SSE. My speakers weren't working, the ride was loud, you could barely hear the narration, let alone the AA's in the scenes.

Let's hope this is a total re-do, not a "let's add sparkly lights and neon" to the last half. Ever since they took out the moonscape scene at the top, it's stinks.

Dear lord, please let it be wand removal. Its in the Future World section, yet in the future, do I expect big wands to pop up saying "2000" or "Epcot"? No, I expect a bunch of cheesy technology.

Well it ruins the architecture of the geodesic sphere. Imagine if neon lights were placed all over the parthenon.

I've always liked Spaceship Earth, but I always liked how they changed it, and gave it a new spin every so often. It's been so long since they did that with the 1994 refurb, so I'm excited to hear that Siemens has some new ideas for the ride with Disney.

And like everyone says, this sounds like it's going to give the ride a Horizons feel to it, which makes this sound all the more intriguing. I miss Horizons so much, even though I enjoy MS as well, and anything that reminds me of it is welcome.

As for videos of SE's old incarnations, the incomparable Martin Smith has some good footage, which can be found on this site: http://www.geoffreynease.com/news.php