TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I just read this on CNN...how awful.

I am confident that this was in no way the fault of the park...clearly this was a child with some sort of health issue, but unfortunately, either A) His family was unaware of such a problem or B) they were aware but ignored the warnings.

I have a heart condition, and even though I love coasters and rides, I have commented several times in recent years that some of the new thrill attractions (like TTD) are just too intense for me to take that chance. The "thrill" of thrill rides is that they are supposed to be a safe thrill, and when it becomes unsafe, it's not worth taking. Unfortunately, it is in the hands of the riders to take that chance, and it always makes me mad when a park is blamed when something like this happens.

Shari

this news really struck a chord with my wife....after all, our son is 4-years old. We tend to ride him on as much as we can when we go to theme parks too. Sometimes he takes a little coaxing (like I told him I'd buy him a Back To The Future mini-car if he'd ride The Flying Unicorn at IOA and the like). Now, I almost feel guilty forcing him to do the intense rides when I read stuff like this.

I will say that if he's 44 inches or more, he is DEFINITELY tall for his age. My son is exactly 4 1/2 years old and he's still only about 40"-41". Disney can get into BIG time trouble if further investigation is done and the kid turned out to be shorter than the ride requirement.

Still, a truly sad story. Very heart breaking.

I am pretty sure that they checked and he did meet the height requirement. To me, 4 yrs old really seems young for Mission Space.

I don't want to speculate too much, because like Shari said, I am guessing that there is a medical condition involved.

If not .... bye bye Mission: SPACE. (a new 200 Million Dollar Paperweight)

I am pretty sure that they checked and he did meet the height requirement. To me, 4 yrs old really seems young for Mission Space.

I don't want to speculate too much, because like Shari said, I am guessing that there is a medical condition involved.

If not .... bye bye Mission: SPACE. (a new 200 Million Dollar Paperweight)

That thing costs $200 Million? Are you serious?!

I am in shock that this happened. I guess I am kind of luck and unlucky in this situation.

My son is 4 years old and is 44 inches tall. His dad is 6'3, i'm 5'7. So he will be tall when he gets older. But in the same situation, he won't ride anything. He is autistic, and he refuses to go anywhere near ANY ride but a swing. And that took over 6 months to get him used to that.

Just today, I took him on the Carousel in the mall...he screamed the entire time. But when it comes to autistic kids, if they can become tolerant to something, then it's ok, just getting him to do it, is a challenge.

I don't know why the parents took him on the ride. I don't know maybe they thought it was a "tame" ride. I don't know. I am deeply sorry it had to happen. A little boy lost his life, and it shouldn't have happened. If he met the height requirement, then he was able to ride, but I agree with whom ever said, it should be the parents responsibility to ride first to see if they think their kid could take that kind of stress.

Katie, my thoughts and prayers are out to that family in their darkest hour.

I'm going to throw support to Ted and Shari as well. I really have to believe that there is some underlying medical condition here, or even like the goliath or indiana jones women, even something like a bad blood vessel that no one could have known about.

This is sad no matter who's fault it is, but I also agree that just because a child is TALL enough, does not mean they are ready for the ride. For example Dallas has been tall enough for X for almost 2 years and we will still not put him on it!

Elissa "bring back horizons!" Alvey

I have to go with you people. i was probably something to do with a medical condition.

Or else maybe because he was so young that his body couldnt take the G-Forces. I have been on it, just after 2 months after opening, and it is a pretty extreme ride. The G-Forces are really intense, but I loved it.

What reputation to you think this will have on Disney. I know it is a one of event but do you think they will close it or will it remean open?

--Ryan: Regrett to hear this tragic incident :Berry--

Wow, how very sad.

But I'm with Elissa. Just because a child is old enough for something, doesn't mean they should be riding it. Just like Dallas, Amanda has been tall enough for X for awhile now, but she's not ready for it. Quite honestly, I would take her on any B&M I've been on with multiple inversions before I would take her on X.

Somebody on MiceChat is reporting that the ride has already reopened. Can anybody confirm? Seems too soon IMO, even if it had nothing to do with the ride. If this was a pre-existing thing, it could have happened on anything with G forces.

My guess is that the rides height requirement will go up to at least 48", although that wouldn't have prevented this from happening.

This is indeed sad, but like others have said, there was likely an underlying medical condition that was previously unknown that caused this. As far as height restrictions go, I think they only take into account that someone will fit correctly into a restraint system, not whether or not the ride may be too intense for someone.

I have to say, though, that Disney goes way beyond what anyone would expect notifying people about the intensity of the ride. There are signs everywhere, and multiple announcements are made about it, so I don't think anyone could get on the attraction and not have some idea that it's fairly intense...

dt

^It might not be too soon if they haven't released all of the details to the public.

Maybe we're all right, there was a condition, case closed...and since that's not all dramatic and bad the news just hasn't reported it yet.

Elissa "Still would rather have Horizons back!" Alvey

I love Mission: Space, I really really do.

I love the graphics, the ride queue, the overall ride experience, its just one of my favorite rides ever. And if they seriously decide to get rid of this ride people really need to get a brain check and understand that sometimes people that go to theme parks are idiots and do not take responsibility for themselves or their families.

I dont see what the big deal about safety in Mission: Space anyway, I have never found it too intense. Sure, its an intense ride but it is a high-tech thrill ride and it warns you repeatedly that you may hurl, black out, or other medical matters.

I feel sorry for the kid who died as he obviously had some idiotic parents.

Personally I aggree it was pre-exisiting or the kid was just so wigged out by the ride, he brought it on by a panic attack.

My mother said she checked with my sister 4 times before they rode yesterday and was quite aware of the warning of how intense the ride is. So I blame the parents mainly .. seems like maybe Disney should make a required age for this attraction as a precaution .. sure it may piss some people off .. but it's for the good in the long run. Most haunted houses I've seen have age requirements due to how intense they are, most are 14+ .. so if they can, why not Disney?

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I read this in the elevator at work was, "WTF was a 4-year-old doing on a ride like Mission: Space?" Then I thought back to my time at Disney as a ride op on Star Tours, and all the times I had to argue with parents about letting their kids on the ride when they weren't quite tall enough. Even if this kid met the height requirements, there are just some rides you shouldn't take little kids on. At 4 years old, his body isn't equipped to handle extreme g-force. Hell, even people a lot older than him aren't equipped to handle extremes...

This is definately a sad and tragic event, and my heart goes out to the family.

How do you let a 4-year old on Mission: SPACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It simulates a rocket launch better than NASA's equipment for space training does! I think most of the blame goes to the parents, for letting a toddler on argubly the most intense ride Disney has ever created. It may have been some unknown medical condition, but medical condition or not, 4-year olds shouldn't be riding Mission: SPACE.

How do you let a 4-year old on Mission: SPACE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It simulates a rocket launch better than NASA's equipment for space training does! I think most of the blame goes to the parents, for letting a toddler on argubly the most intense ride Disney has ever created. It may have been some unknown medical condition, but medical condition or not, 4-year olds shouldn't be riding Mission: SPACE.

4 year olds aren't toddlers anymore. My four year old is huge for his age, is about as big as a normal 6 year old. He is the most fearless kid I know. He jumps from high points, and has a high tolerance for pain. I honestly think it could have been a medical condition. But it was the mother's decision to put him on the ride. Even if he agreed. He was tall enough, and im sure warned before hand what the ride was like. 4 year olds are capable of saying yes and no. No mostly. Trust me mine does.

But, like I will reiterate, I think it was the mother's decision. I don't think she was right or wrong. He was tall enough to ride. Then he has every right to. You can't deny a kid something he or she wants ( well you can, but if a kid that young wants to ride something, then just let him). Most kids are deathly afraid of a lot of rides.

I would love to see what the autopsy said. If it was some kind of condition, then this thread needs to let it be, it was bound to happen if it is say a heart condition. On any ride at any time.

Katie, who is stilled pained by all of this.

I think it's rediculous for anyone to sit there and simply blurt out that the parents are idiots. This is DISNEY were talking about here. The casual tourists (read: most tourists) who don't inform themselves about the parks like we do before going, are not expecting anything like M:S from Disney. Yeah, it has warnings, but what ride doesn't these days? It's my belief that Disney shouldn't be creating these kinds of intense attractions in the first place. Walt would be rolling in his grave.

Hey yall!

Tragic news for everybody:

Boy, 4, dies after riding intense Disney 'Space' ride

Associated Press

Jun. 14, 2005 11:25 AM

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A 4-year-old boy died after passing out aboard Walt Disney World's "Mission: Space," a ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye passed out Monday afternoon on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff's Office said his mother carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.

Paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at Celebration Hospital. advertisement

The sheriff's office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride at the Epcot theme park, which uses centrifugal force to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.

An autopsy was expected Tuesday to determine the cause of the boy's death.

Officials said the boy from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother, Agnes, and a sister.

During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.

"When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat," according to a sheriff's office report.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but was reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride.

During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to hospitals for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding "Mission: Space," though none of them was found to have any serious problem.

At that time, it was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report such problems to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Updated figures were not immediately available.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner's report said her death "was not unexpected."

Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the "Mission: Space" ride.

"For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure," one sign on view last year said. Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

Florida's major parks are not directly regulated by the Department of Agriculture; state law exempts large, permanent amusement parks that have their own inspectors from state oversight. But the parks agreed to share safety information in 2001.

Disney officials said in a statement after the boy's death that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time."

---Brent

Any TOURIST that doesnt inform themselves before doing something that involves physical motion is as good as cannon fodder.

Disney has the RIGHT to make rides like these because LOTS of people enjoy riding high-tech thrill rides and the excitement that comes along with them. If people dont like them, dont ride it, just dont ruin in for those who enjoy the ride.

I'm shocked to say the least about this news, but I'm surprised to see that a ride like this may have killed someone. It must be a pre-exisiting condition.

I went on Mission Space a couple years ago and I remember them handing out air-sick bags when I don't remember the ride being that intense at all.

We'll just have to see what happens.