TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

18 hours ago, KIEnthusiast said:

How does Guardians of the Galaxy tie into Epcot??? I don't like Marvel. The only way it would interest me is if it was made for smart people like Horizons was. Layout looks ok.

There's a whole segment at the Epcot Preview Center about how some alien dudes are excited to be part of 'world showcase' at epcot with the first 'off planet' world or some crap like that. Sorry, never saw the movies so don't know exactly what's what but it's Disney so they found a way to tie it in in a cute fashion.

• Confused 1

It seems GotG is getting a lot of flack on social media (particularly twitter).  I admit, I haven't been following this project but is the only thing semi-groundbreaking is the controlled spinning?  Did this thing really cost 500 million (as it has been said on social media)?

yeah. .I seriously do not understand the complaining.

I don't like Harry Potter.    Not a fan of the Author, and found the 1st book boring, and later books boring.     Still haven't seen most of the movies.

but I enjoyed the hell out of Forbidden Journey at USJ, because it's a really great ride.
and the theming in the village was fantastic. 

and i liked the butterbeer.

it DOESN'T matter if you like, or don't like the characters the concept is based on.   as long as the ride is good.

I don't buy Marvel Comics, but that won't stop me from riding the new ride.

just as not being a fan of Aerosmith never has stopped me from enjoying Rock N RollerCoaster.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bert425 said:

yeah. .I seriously do not understand the complaining.

I don't like Harry Potter.    Not a fan of the Author, and found the 1st book boring, and later books boring.     Still haven't seen most of the movies.

but I enjoyed the hell out of Forbidden Journey at USJ, because it's a really great ride.
and the theming in the village was fantastic. 

and i liked the butterbeer.

it DOESN'T matter if you like, or don't like the characters the concept is based on.   as long as the ride is good.

I don't buy Marvel Comics, but that won't stop me from riding the new ride.

just as not being a fan of Aerosmith never has stopped me from enjoying Rock N RollerCoaster.

Right, but I want a ride that makes me THINK. Like how Epcot is supposed to be. How will this coaster make me THINK?

I am for sure looking forward to the Mission Space Restaurant BTW.

1 hour ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Right, but I want a ride that makes me THINK. Like how Epcot is supposed to be. How will this coaster make me THINK?

You're free to think about whatever you want, man. What do you think about when you're on frozen? Test track? The Mexico boat ride? I'm sure you'll find something to think about. 

Never saw the movie, zero interest in it. I'm just happy they aren't retheming ToT (yet). This theme makes more sense as a new coaster than it does a drop ride IMO. I'm sure it'll be fun. Epcot really needed a new ride, and a spinning coaster sounds great for the park. 

I think we just need to give Disney the benefit of the doubt here that they'll pull it off and it will be a great ride for the park. I mean, didn't everyone FREAK THE EFF OUT when they announced the theme change for ToT at DCA and now everyone loves that version!?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIEnthusiast said:

EPCOT hasn't been the thinking person's park for at least two decades. And I say that as someone who does a lot of research on educational entertainment attractions.

• Like 2

In regards to the black and white interior photo of the Cosmic: Rewind show bldg. in the video...

In the back there, it looks like the track that the backwards launch comes up to. The "Share" arrow is pointing to it. 😀

Then it straightens out, in that long straight section I see, the coach turns around to face forward and on it goes!

Just an observation. No real proof of this. But it all looks great, what I can make out of it!

GaurdiansGalaxy14.png.b7a93a77ab1c0f0e71361e0ae98cc297.png

54 minutes ago, A.J. said:

EPCOT hasn't been the thinking person's park for at least two decades. And I say that as someone who does a lot of research on educational entertainment attractions.

Which is really sad. 😢 How about the park progresses instead of being stuck being anti-smart??

Edutainment does work, but there are different expectations. EPCOT has the "baggage" of being an integral part of Walt Disney World's "four parks, one world" approach. The expectation is that you go see the characters and the rides like the other three parks, with EPCOT also having the extra bonus of going to see the "countries" (barf). Since guests pay just as much for EPCOT as they do Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, you have to keep that same level of buzz and engagement. For quite a few years, and now, the engagement comes with intellectual property. People love love love IP. It's why Frozen replaced Maelstrom, and it's why Mickey / Minnie replaced The Great Movie Ride, among others.

The three leftover remnants of old-school Future World are Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and the Seas Pavilion aquariums. And they're staying, as far as we all know. Plus, despite the IP integration, you still have lots of fun, interactive exhibits, like in ImageWorks (despite its age) and the upcoming Play pavilion.

Meanwhile, you can get into the Orlando Science Center for $26 USD or less. It doesn't try to be anything else other than a science center / museum, and it's a freaking good one. People who go to science centers expect a science center, people who go to theme parks expect a theme park.

I can't blame Disney for pivoting the Future World side of the park.

What do Navi River Journey and Flight of Passage have to do with animals? Should they replace them with a petting zoo or something? What do gas powered cars have to do with the future? What does a creepy haunted mansion have to do with a magical kingdom?

Epcot purists are the most pretentious people in the theme park fandom and you can't convince me otherwise.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this and that's okay but I don't like Epcot at all, at least not when you compare it to the other parks at WDW. I feel like as a passholder I would enjoy it because it's a great place to walk, there are great dining options and there are some okay rides in Future World that never have lines. Also, there ARE a couple of rides there that I really do like (like Frozen and Test Track) but as someone who needs to buy a ticket and can't park hop there is no effing way I would go there. It's Disney Springs plus 2 stand-out rides with a $130 cover charge except that I actually think Disney Springs is nicer looking (Future World is hideous). Epcot needs better rides desperately and I'm absolutely thrilled that this coaster is a thing (and Ratatouille which isn't mind-blowing but it's a lot of fun and will be one of the better rides at Epcot by default).

The great news is that every complaint I just listed is something that Disney is currently working on. I could see me loving Epcot in 5-10 years. I know people like different things but I can't wrap my head around the fact that people are mad about this awesome ride with a great IP replacing a ride where Ellen and Bill Nye taught you about the future of energy (Which for a long time was sponsored by ExxonMobil because lol). Now THAT was education! Then again these are the same people who thought that Frozen Ever After didn't belong on Norway because rock trolls and a talking snowman weren't as educational as three-headed-trolls and a talking tree.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this and that's okay but I don't like Epcot at all, at least not when you compare it to the other parks at WDW. I feel like as a passholder I would enjoy it because it's a great place to walk, there are great dining options and there are some okay rides in Future World that never have lines. Also, there ARE a couple of rides there that I really do like (like Frozen and Test Track) but as someone who needs to buy a ticket and can't park hop there is no effing way I would go there. It's Disney Springs with a $130 cover charge except that I actually think Disney Springs is nicer looking (Future World is hideous). Epcot needs better rides desperately and I'm absolutely thrilled that this coaster is a thing (and Ratatouille which isn't mind-blowing but it's a lot of fun and will be one of the better rides at Epcot by default).

As someone who hasn't visited WDW since 2002, I'll really have to consider waiting on Epcot for all of your rationale above. I've never been on Test Track, Mission Space really intrigues me, Frozen looks like a fun attraction but I've yet to see the movies, and all of the food and drinks look amazing but yeah, I forgot that costs money too...

Let's rethink the theming here. We have a "fast and thrilling" spinning coaster--for epcot. It's themed to an action/superhero movie (I think). 

How do we retheme this to make it "educational". What other Disney IP makes more sense for this ride? Or do you just want a non-thrill ride teaching you about the benefits of LED light bulbs and low-flow toilets? 

I think Disney wants something to draw people into the park. I'm pretty sure this will do it. Curious about your ideas, though. 

8 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

As someone who hasn't visited WDW since 2002, I'll really have to consider waiting on Epcot for all of your rationale above. I've never been on Test Track, Mission Space really intrigues me, Frozen looks like a fun attraction but I've yet to see the movies, and all of the food and drinks look amazing but yeah, I forgot that costs money too...

I wouldn't go there without an AP until park-hopping comes back. I really wouldn't.

I really like Test Track and Frozen Ever After a lot. Mission Space is fun. Soarin' is fun. Spaceship Earth is fun. I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for any other ride at Epcot. I feel the same way about them as I do about Fantasyland dark rides. They're fun if they have short lines but they're not the same level of quality as you would expect from modern-day Disney (I have a bit of a soft-spot for Living with the Land though and I don't really know why).

• Thanks 1

I have mixed feelings about the prevalence of IPs at the parks now. The nostalgic side of me is a bit sad how the lines of distinction between each of the parks has been blurred and how we used to have e-tickets that became franchises and not the other way round. But the realistic side of me says money talks, get over it. 

Re: Epcot, I did love the idea that Imagineers couldn't include Disney characters hence we ended up with hidden Mickeys and Figment, but I always felt that the park was a good idea poorly executed and that places like Futurascope do the whole edu-tainment thing better. I don't know why, but everything there (buildings, attractions etc) seems to be so timeless and exciting, whereas at Epcot, they seem to be having this constant fight for relevance. 

Having said all that, I do have a huge soft spot for Epcot. Even though I think Diagon Alley is a more accurate representation of the UK than the World Showcase, I do love doing the wine walk and doing the food festivals there. And I have always loved the kitchness of it. It's quite cute really.

Even though I would have been as happy (or even happier) for Guardians to be a coaster with space projections and a slight educational edge to it, the reality is that Guardians is a cash cow for which Disney paid a lot of money for, and they will milk it until its proverbial udders are on fire.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KarlaKoaster said:

I have mixed feelings about the prevalence of IPs at the parks now. The nostalgic side of me is a bit sad how the lines of distinction between each of the parks has been blurred and how we used to have e-tickets that became franchises and not the other way round. But the realistic side of me says money talks, get over it. 

Re: Epcot, I did love the idea that Imagineers couldn't include Disney characters hence we ended up with hidden Mickeys and Figment, but I always felt that the park was a good idea poorly executed and that places like Futurascope do the whole edu-tainment thing better. I don't know why, but everything there (buildings, attractions etc) seems to be so timeless and exciting, whereas at Epcot, they seem to be having this constant fight for relevance. 

I also think that in some respects, Futuroscope out-EPCOTs EPCOT. The Futuropolis area especially... So many little interactive things to do for children and families. It's a form of education without even realizing it, because you're having too much fun!

That sort of stuff wouldn't fly in a Disney park anymore because every attraction has to be an event. There's very little room at Disney and Universal parks for spontaneous experiences anymore. Everything has to be very tightly controlled so that guests can understand the stories they're told. And then there's also the expectation that Disney and Universal (and others) have to continually outdo themselves.

4 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I wouldn't go there without an AP until park-hopping comes back. I really wouldn't.

I really like Test Track and Frozen Ever After a lot. Mission Space is fun. Soarin' is fun. Spaceship Earth is fun. I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for any other ride at Epcot. I feel the same way about them as I do about Fantasyland dark rides. They're fun if they have short lines but they're not the same level of quality as you would expect from modern-day Disney (I have a bit of a soft-spot for Living with the Land though and I don't really know why).

maybe you can explain to me why the living with the land boat ride always has insane lines?

I mean, I enjoy it - I like going thru the greenhouses - but it's really not much.    Why is that line always so long??

have you noticed the standby is always long tho?

maybe it's those that are waiting for folks in line for Soarin, and it's the only other "ride" there?

it's just strange - as much as I like the Mickey shaped Gourds, I dont' see the massive appeal the ride has (and keep in mind, I like it a lot too, it's relaxing). . LOL

I feel like the line for Living with the Land is really hit or miss, sometimes it's a complete walk on and other times it's got a full que, but even with the full que I feel like it's usually less than 30 minutes despite what the wait time indicator says. 

I mostly agree with Bill's take on Epcot even though it's one of my favorite parks in the world. We love taking the kids there because there are so many rides for them that usually have next to no wait, I've been on a Saturday in July with my 7 year old and ridden everything in the park before like 2 pm, and they have a ton of princess meet n greet opportunities throughout the showcase again with next to no wait. The food is great and the festivals are really fun but a version of Disney Springs with a $130 cover charge is a hilarious analogy but also kind of accurate lol.  That said the park desperately needs some new attractions and Ratatouille and Guardians should be really nice additions.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, jarmor said:

It seems GotG is getting a lot of flack on social media (particularly twitter).  I admit, I haven't been following this project but is the only thing semi-groundbreaking is the controlled spinning?  Did this thing really cost 500 million (as it has been said on social media)?

I feel like you're painting this as a controlled-spinning coaster in the dark.  You're forgetting all of the added elements for the story such as video, special effects, lighting, etc.  I highly doubt this is going to be a Rock N' Rollercoaster situation with horrible blacklight cardboard cutouts.  This is shaping up to be a fully-immersive experience in line with Space Fantasy at USJ but with a much larger budget.  Anyone who's been on Space Fantasy can attest that it's super fun and ridiculous and extremely re-rideable.