TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

Yeah, "opening act" isn't what I thought it was. I like the impact of walking down Main Street that first time as much as anyone. So if I want to do that, I won't use the express bus through the back area. A lot of other people will do the same thing. Because....it's optional. Amirite?

Yep, that's the whole point that like everyone but a few people are stressing. This whole thing seriously does not impact ANYONE in any way at all. But there are a handful of people (even more crazies on FB and other socials) who are trying to convince people otherwise for reasons I have no idea.

I think it's an odd thing to complain about for another reason: For decades, if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, you could take the monorail to Tomorrowland and skip the main entrance entirely. Does anyone complain about that?

Yeah, "opening act" isn't what I thought it was. I like the impact of walking down Main Street that first time as much as anyone. So if I want to do that, I won't use the express bus through the back area. A lot of other people will do the same thing. Because....it's optional. Amirite?

Yep, that's the whole point that like everyone but a few people are stressing. This whole thing seriously does not impact ANYONE in any way at all. But there are a handful of people (even more crazies on FB and other socials) who are trying to convince people otherwise for reasons I have no idea.

I think it's an odd thing to complain about for another reason: For decades, if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, you could take the monorail to Tomorrowland and skip the main entrance entirely. Does anyone complain about that?

It also wasn't a hotel owned/operated by Disney, but by a third party. But you know what? PIXIEDUST MAGIC WALT DISNEE. So it was alright.

Or what if you're staying at Boardwalk and you use the International Gateway to enter Epcot.

"Wait, there's a ball here? What ball???"

Thousands of people use that entrance every day. And you know how many people complain? Zero.

Edited by robbalvey

So, do we actually know that Disney is putting more buses into circulation, or is the benefit of "less people using the regular system" speculative? It isn't hard to imagine the world where the number of people taking express busses doesn't relieve the stress of taking buses out of general pool.

I think the best argument against these things is that they remove the opening act of each park. It's a small (but I think significant) thing for a repeat visitor, but there's going to be some segment of the population whose first walk into one of the parks will be via an express bus. I think MK and AK especially have near perfect opening acts, and giving the opportunity to skip those is absolutely a cost. I'm not at all sure that cost outweighs the benefits, but I think it's disingenuous to pretend anyone with complaints is a lunatic.

EDIT on a bit of reflection: I also think this is different from the utilidoor tour. It's not just about breaking the "fourth wall" - it's about doing so for people who aren't specifically looking for that. If you sign up for the Keys to the Kingdom tour, you know exactly what you're getting. You are opting in to see how the sausage is made. If you take an express bus, the primary motivation is convenience; screwing with the show is a side effect that is some sort of negative effect on the experience. Again, I think net benefit wise these aren't RUINING DISNEY OMG but these arguments are valid, I think.

Granted the source is WikiPedia, but as of 2014 they had 350 busses with 50 more on order---I think they can handle the express buses and regular shuttle services....

I hadn't had a chance to comment on the new bus service yet that was being offered and I have to agree with what I'm seeing that this is a positive service.

It seems like the people that are complaining are majority locals that are mad because they feel that they deserve the privelage. Services like this are a fantastic way for people that are visiting for their annual trip, or their first trip, or their trip they get once every 5 years. People that are fortunate enough to visit all the time don't necessarily NEED services like this... but in my opinion... if they want to utilize them... then shut up and do it lol. That's the bottom line.

But this is an awesome option and I will absolutely be purchasing this next time. What a great way to save time and avoid additional lines

I'm a person who doesn't post much here, but I read a lot. I can't believe the behavior of people these days. They clearly can't see the difference between having a different opinion with a discussion about it, and the reprehensible, rude behavior they do have. I'm not sure how you deal with it Robb, but kudos to you taking on that challenge the way you do!

Is that what the other side is saying? Have they been banning you or others for your differing opinions?

No of course we don't ban people for having a different opinion. Do we ban people for being rude obnoxious and telling us how to run our forums? Yep. You bet. And he's gone for his horrible behavior.

Believe it or not, some of us understand that there's a difference between being annoying and rude and discussing a difference of opinion. Maybe the guy who quoted me will one day understand this. I voice my opinion here often, I differ with Robb or some other staff on occasion- but I'm not a whiny little dick about it when someone disagrees.

As far as the fear of losing transport buses- if Disney wants to ruin your day (life?) by taking buses away, they will, with or without the program. Maybe they will get new buses, maybe they wont. But the people being transported with the new service are being taken off the peasant bus system, making the line shorter for us. Right?

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to a week ago when the same people were crying about the cabanas that also have zero negative impact on people that don't want to use them which means there's no reason to complain.

I can't wait to see what they're bitching about next week...

With regards to the cabanas, the negative impact here is the visual intrusion. I'm kinda surprised that's not understood. But that's really the difference between, e.g., something like Six Flags and Disney. Imagine watching a movie like Star Wars and you suddenly see a Toyota Minivan drive through a scene. It draws you outside of any realm you were supposed to be drawn inside and disrupts the narrative.

Sk

With regards to the cabanas, the negative impact here is the visual intrusion.

Stop right there. You don't even know what you're talking about so you really need to stop talking. If you honestly believe the tent-like temporary cabanas are the final product then you're a huge huge moron. They are a test. If they do well, permanent structures will be built. If they don't do well, they go away forever. Now that you're educated on this you can stop posting factually incorrect information about them. Thank you.

Edited by robbalvey

PLEASE DON'T ANYONE WASTE THEIR TIME READING THIS CRAP!

tl;dr

If you don't want to take the busses, don't purchase the upgrade.

lol k

Yep. I mean, when in someone's brain that a "Woman crying during Wishes" = "THE BUS IS PURE EVIL!!!!" yes, they are legit crazy

Yeah, that's what I said. I definitely haven't been saying "I'm more or less neutral on them but I think they raise an interesting issue with the experience"

Again, I think net benefit wise these aren't RUINING DISNEY OMG but these arguments are valid, I think.

Sorry for talking about the parks in a way deeper than "ride fun" or "crowds big."

Talking about parks and trying to think about them is fine. Using a placard next to no one actually sees as justification for the kind of "thematic continuity errors" that get everyone else in the industry dragged? Bloviating about "the opening act" as though Disneyland was intended as a narrative experience by the Almighty Walt and not filled with stuff like the Fritos Kid, Aluminum Hall of Fame, and Aunt Jemima's Kitchen at opening? It basically comes across as sounding cult-like because it is.

It's almost as if Walt Disney ran the park as if it was a business and sold space in his park whether it made sense or not.

Because when I think of Disneyland I totally think of the Dutch Boy Paint Gallery and Monsanto Hall of Chemistry!

Also, Dorrito's were invented at Disneyland at a restaurant ran by the Frito company.

It's almost as if Walt Disney ran the park as if it was a business and sold space in his park whether it made sense or not.

Because when I think of Disneyland I totally think of the Dutch Boy Paint Gallery and Monsanto Hall of Chemistry!

Listen, putting a Swiss mountain with a Nepalese cryptid inside it between a circus and the ocean makes total sense. and if you don't think so, you need to read the 15"x12" plaque about fantasy when you come in. It was all part of the important third act, which comes before the crescendo of Rocket To The Moon.

At first I thought "opening act" meant when I was at USJ and all the staff lined the street to wave, from street cleaners to cooks and kiosk staff, which was nice they get a moment to be part of that, and Woody Woodpecker ran out and tapped an invisible watch and ran around sending them on their way. I was kind of confused how many people would be close enough to the gates for something like that (I've only seen HKDL's opening ceremony for Disney) Then after reading this thread I got it.....

I don't think I've ever appreciated the "opening act" ever when first going in a Disney park. Bare with me, but at both Tokyo Parks and Hong Kong we always go ahead as fast as we can to make restaurant reservations and to get fast passes and a quick ride before queues build up. Yet I have a picture of "opening act" for those parks for each visit. Why? Because I walk back later to look around and take in the view. Does the GP really stop to let it in? I feel like a lot of people will want to hit a ride first or get a fast pass reserved and appreciate scenery a little later. In that respect would taking a side entrance make any difference?

tl;dr Even if you don't go through the main entrance, people can walk that way later and appreciate the view. It's not a big deal.

The only way I would care about an opening act would be if it was like a happy ending.

Based on what I'm learning about these hardcore Disney people that's exactly what it's like for them, and it has the same end result.

You should go look at one of the Disney boards and see how crazy it gets if you really want to go down a rabbit hole of craziness lol

Edited by Satans Hockey