TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

Has there been and updates recently on the Frozen ride or the Soarin expansion/overlay/renovation? I know both of those projects were scheduled to open in 2016 but I never heard a date or general time of year for either.

Soarin is expected to reopen in the Summer. Frozen is looking at May last I heard but who knows.

Looks like Disney is finally feeling threatened by all of the 4D rides that Universal is building and is ready to take them out with a Death Star. Didn't see that coming.

One or 2 4D rides I can deal with at Disney but Universal had way to many for my liking.

Agreed.

The most important part of the Soarin' project is the third theatre. That much additional capacity is going to work wonders for that ride.

I still don't understand the popularity of that ride however you are correct it is definitely going to do wonders for capacity. If I go back after the ride re opens I may re ride it as I would like to see what a difference the new projectors make.

The most important part of the Soarin' project is the third theatre. That much additional capacity is going to work wonders for that ride.

I still don't understand the popularity of that ride however you are correct it is definitely going to do wonders for capacity. If I go back after the ride re opens I may re ride it as I would like to see what a difference the new projectors make.

Soarin' appeals to those who aren't into coasters and big flat rides, but still want a mild thrill. It particularly appeals to senior citizens (my parents loved it at DCA) and kids.

I like it, myself, because it's a very relaxing ride; but I wouldn't wait for hours in line to ride it.

Edited by cfc

I went to Epcot a few years ago and actually waited for the ride b/c it was like a 30 minute wait. First the queue line was pretty interesting. It makes sense they are expanding the ride

A. It is a people eater- 87 per theater x 3 means 261 every 5 mins. Increasing capacity means they can have two theaters just dedicated to fast pass.

B. Frozen is coming-Epcot will need to have another big ride for families, I imagine will be that ride increase attendance and Soarin will be able to help the park absorb the blow.

C. The ride is fun- It actually is a fun ride and they are updating the video package and the tech for the ride. I think once they build the new theater all three theaters will have increased screen resolutions. I thought it was a great ride where you got to see such a great picture with out having to wear 3-d glasses

The theater addition to Soarin will do wonders for the capacity of that attraction and the park in general, and I'm also in the camp of I like it but don't like it enough to wait in line for over an hour for it. It is amazing how popular it has become, even several years now after being open I don't think it ever has a line under 60 minutes and over 120 minutes is pretty common.

I was looking at some aerial construction photos the other day and the way the third theater is oriented perpendicular to half of the existing ride building it's almost like they're purposely constructing it so they can add a 4th later if they wanted to. Even with the third theater I wouldn't be surprised to see Soarin continue to have long lines.

I was looking at some aerial construction photos the other day and the way the third theater is oriented perpendicular to half of the existing ride building it's almost like they're purposely constructing it so they can add a 4th later if they wanted to. Even with the third theater I wouldn't be surprised to see Soarin continue to have long lines.

If they add a third theater It would be interesting if they would have two separate attractions or experiences with one being mild and one being wild like they did for Mission Space.

If they add a third theater It would be interesting if they would have two separate attractions or experiences with one being mild and one being wild like they did for Mission Space.

Soarin' has such low capacity compared with other rides in Future World. I don't recall the exact figures but its something like half of Test Track's capacity, and even less than Mission Space. If one of the two theatres was down, as happens frequently in CA, the wait time skyrockets even higher. Soarin' does seem to be more popular in Epcot than it is in DCA, but Epcot itself also draws far more people than DCA, and Soarin' is marketed more than it ever was in CA. Not really surprising the crowds come in droves.

Hopefully with the third theatre Soarin's stand-by wait times will look more comparable to the rest of the park instead of Soarin' being 90 while the rest of the park's wait times are in the 15-40 range.

Soarin's posted wait times are inaccurate anyway. From the merge point, which is where standby guests hand over the red card (at least the last time I went), you have to stop and wait in the hallway, then move into the lineup area and wait another entire showing, before you finally board. It adds fifteen to twenty-five minutes to your wait, which is frustrating considering that when you reach the merge point it feels like you're going to be boarding immediately.

It's like an actual airport! So realistic!

It's a minor gripe, but that is one of the things I dislike about the attraction (and other attractions at Disney). Even with a fastpass it feels like it takes forever to get on and off of that thing. Test Track is kind of the same way, the pre-show adds what feels like 20 minutes onto the time it takes to experience the attraction.

It's a minor gripe, but that is one of the things I dislike about the attraction (and other attractions at Disney). Even with a fastpass it feels like it takes forever to get on and off of that thing. Test Track is kind of the same way, the pre-show adds what feels like 20 minutes onto the time it takes to experience the attraction.

I didn't think Test Tracks pre show/build room felt like it extended the queue at all. I really enjoyed building the cars and making them as stupid as possible. Its actually small touches like that I believe add to the attraction over all and if thats at the expense of even an extra 10 minutes in the queue line I'm happy with that.

I didn't think Test Tracks pre show/build room felt like it extended the queue at all. I really enjoyed building the cars and making them as stupid as possible. Its actually small touches like that I believe add to the attraction over all and if thats at the expense of even an extra 10 minutes in the queue line I'm happy with that.

I guess after doing it a few times it's not as appealing to me. And I was talking about the the wait space before the build room, then the build room, then the que to the ride platform, then the platform it just feels like it takes a long time to get through after you've begun the attraction. And the que section after the build room seems like it's always full and takes another 5-10 minutes to get through after you've "built" your car, maybe I'm exaggerating those wait times but it's just how I remember my last half dozen or so rides. And again it's a really minor gripe about one of the best attractions on property and I totally I get the purpose of pre-shows, but Test Track just feels like it takes longer and messes with the pacing of that attraction. Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Dinosaur, all go video room -> short usually semi-empty que -> ride, those ques feel more fluid than TT to me.

Soarin' has such low capacity compared with other rides in Future World. I don't recall the exact figures but its something like half of Test Track's capacity, and even less than Mission Space. If one of the two theatres was down, as happens frequently in CA, the wait time skyrockets even higher. Soarin' does seem to be more popular in Epcot than it is in DCA, but Epcot itself also draws far more people than DCA, and Soarin' is marketed more than it ever was in CA. Not really surprising the crowds come in droves.

Hopefully with the third theatre Soarin's stand-by wait times will look more comparable to the rest of the park instead of Soarin' being 90 while the rest of the park's wait times are in the 15-40 range.

I'm starting to notice that the theaters Soarin' in DCA have been breaking down quite frequently lately, or at least every time I've gone. Has it always been having issues like that or is it just something that I haven't noticed until now?

Does anybody know if they still have the GM corporate lounge inside of test track?

Can't seem to find much info on this.

They do. There's even a few of the car design stations in the lounge, since it was updated as part of the overhaul.

Does anybody know if they still have the GM corporate lounge inside of test track?

Can't seem to find much info on this.

They do. There's even a few of the car design stations in the lounge, since it was updated as part of the overhaul.

Thank you.

Can't wait to take advantage of it when we visit this summer.