TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

Idk what it is...but from my trip yesterday to Epcot...I was completely bored out of my mind.

First off...Soarin' is great! Glad to see they are adding an extra theater!

Next...I haven't been on the new test track before yesterday and I wasn't too impressed. Yes designing your car is cool and everything is tron like looking...BUT the queue and the exit were just kind of blah to me. I kind of miss the older version of the entrance and exit but welcome the new modern stuff. With that said...a lot of things didn't appear to be working such as the screens to display throughout the ride which car won basically.

The Universe of Energy...BORING. WASTE OF AN HOUR.

Mission Space...I will never go on this again...well at least the Orange Side. I had the biggest headache for the rest of the day after this ride and I just didn't feel well.

Imagination with Figment...umm...I had no idea what was going on but it was very weird. This is in need of a replacement.

Sum of All Thrills was only running one robot arm...therefore the line was huge!!! Oh and all of Innoventions was basically closed too.

Spaceship Earth had no air conditioning whatsoever.

Nemo is cool but I'd prefer the Little Mermaid or the Haunted Mansion.

World Showcase is always neat to look at. That was probably the best part.

The whole park left me in a state of just boring. IMO they need some more rides and some removed. I believe Universe of Energy, Imagination with Figment, and the Old Body Wars area needs to be removed. Innoventions needs some updating (which it seems they are doing). Also, maybe fit in a bigger attraction like Crush's Coaster in Nemo Area

Overall very underwhelmed.

I'm sorry it was boring to you. I really enjoyed Epcot back when I went in 2007. It was great! I found everything to be fantastic and amazing. And Universe of Energy was AWESOME! That should have been the highlight of your trip!

Edited by ThemeParkJunkie51290

^^That a very interesting opinion on Epcot that I wouldn't have expected to read from anyone. Some parks are not for everyone and obviously Epcot just isnt your thing.

I personally loved Epcot more because of the amazing atmosphere the park has and how relaxing it is compared to the amount of rides and attractions.

It's not that I don't like Epcot, when I went recently, it has been about 7 years since I've been there. It just didn't seem to be what it used to be to me. I absolutely love the World Showcase, the Flower & Garden Festival, etc. The rides just didn't seem to be as exciting to me and I felt that there were some things missing at this park that it needs.

I wasn't impressed by EPCOT at all on my first visit, but it warmed up to me as I was there. I will admit, Soarin' is easily one of my least favorite Disney rides. I find it incredibly boring.

I think it's pretty good, just not worth the ridiculous wait times. It'll get much better when they eventually upgrade the video in both quality and film locations.

Soarin and Epcot are 2 of my favorite places at Disney world. There is just something about the park that draws me in.

the

I really didn't get Soarin' at all! It didn't feel like it did anything. Maybe with the upgraded projectors it may be a better experience but if I never went on it again I wouldn't be bothered.

Honestly, "EPCOT is boring" is something i would, and did, say as a kid. EPCOT at 21+ can be a really fun day, drinking, and eating around the world. Food and wine; flower and gardens festivals lots to do. No its not cedar point, busch gardens or kings dominion when it comes to thrills, but that doesn't mean its not a fantastic theme park. Also I can't seem to have a day at disney without stopping at EPCOT for at least a few hours thanks hopper passes!

Could there eventually be an Inside Out attraction in Epcot?

"Thirty minutes after the pitch I was like, ‘This needs to be at Epcot,’" said Rivera. So much of Inside Out is ripe for the theme-park treatment. There’s the headquarters, a command center for the mind; the "Train of Thought," which transports memories and thoughts to and from headquarters; "Longterm Memory," a maze that houses all of a person’s memories; Imaginationland, a place where our minds like to run wild; "Dream Studios," a Hollywood-like atmosphere where our dreams are staged and produced; and the "Islands of Personality," each centered around a core characteristic of ourselves.

"We’ve definitely called those [parks] guys and showed them along the way," said Docter, "and our hope is that there’s some sort of — it feels like Epcot Center to me, in a good way." For as much as he would like this to happen, though, he minded us of how complicated this process is, and how various factors, known or unknown, play into these decisions. "We hope our characters walk around on Main Street."

Source: Cinemablend

Edited by Garet

I really didn't get Soarin' at all! It didn't feel like it did anything. Maybe with the upgraded projectors it may be a better experience but if I never went on it again I wouldn't be bothered.

I'm with ya, the only time I bother with Soarin is when I'm with other people who have never ridden it before, doesn't do much for me.

I remember Cranium Command and there are similarities. In Cranium Command the character controlled the thoughts of a teenager through a day. There were characters like the Heart (played by Hans and Franz) and the Left Brain and Right Brain. The show was unique as it had animatronics, live action video, and animation. Pretty good considering that the show started in 1989.

Inside Out will feature the five basic emotions and how they control a teenager's mind.

So maybe Cranium Command was an inspiration to it.

I'm with ya, the only time I bother with Soarin is when I'm with other people who have never ridden it before, doesn't do much for me.

I find Soarin' to be pleasant and relaxing, but I wouldn't bother with it unless I had a Fast Pass.

^and even with fast pass it can still be too long of a wait. I enjoy it as well, but hate how long it takes even with fast pass. I'm really glad they're adding another theater.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the post from the Disney Parks Blog

First Look: ‘Frozen Ever After’ at Epcot

posted on June 9th, 2015 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

The story of “Frozen” has swept the hearts of people around the world, and we have been busy bringing it to life in our parks — from royal greetings with Anna and Elsa to sing-alongs to special screenings of the animated short “Frozen Fever.”

We first told you about our plans for a “Frozen” attraction in Epcot last fall and today, we’re thrilled to share a first look at what’s coming when it opens in 2016.

FEAR54714.jpg.ad9a8178da267733a8bc38a19ac6d912.jpg

“Frozen Ever After,” is an adventure fit for the entire family that will take guests through the kingdom of Arendelle. The fantastic Disney storytelling combined with new technology and favorite moments and music from the film will make guests feel like they stepped into the magical world of “Frozen.”

Guests will be transported to the Winter in Summer Celebration where Queen Elsa embraces her magical powers and creates a winter-in-summer day for the entire kingdom. They will also visit Elsa’s Ice Palace and the ice-blue world of the North Mountain along with other locations before returning to the Bay of Arendelle. Of course, favorite “Frozen” characters, including the Snowgies from the animated short “Frozen Fever,” will be part of this new attraction, along with the spectacular sights inspired by the film.

The Norway Pavilion’s exterior will be expanded with many unique Norwegian architectural features and the interior design of the “Royal Sommerhus” will reflect the cultural arts and crafts of Norway, providing a charming setting for guests to meet Elsa and Anna.

We’ll have more updates to share in the future, so keep checking for details right here on the Disney Parks Blog.

Just read an article detailing each scene, and it's not a simple retelling of the movie's plot (yay!). It's still going to follow the footprint of Maelstrom (the tracked ride itself), but with new animatronics, scenery, and a redesign of the pavillion, this should be so much better!! It opens sometime in 2016, can't wait!

I'm sure this ride will be an amazing attraction. I'm wondering if they will be keeping the original ride layout or expanding it to allow for a larger capacity. I have a feeling that this will be one of those rides that you will definitely want to FastPass as I expect lines for it will be insane.

^Nevermind, question answered.

Edited by Guy T. Koepp

Just read an article detailing each scene, and it's not a simple retelling of the movie's plot (yay!). It's still going to follow the footprint of Maelstrom (the tracked ride itself), but with new animatronics, scenery, and a redesign of the pavillion, this should be so much better!! It opens sometime in 2016, can't wait!

Do you have a link?

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/06/09/frozen-ever-after-an-exclusive-look-at-disneys-upcoming-attraction/

The setting for “Frozen Ever After” is the winter festival that takes place in summer, when residents of Arendelle apparently celebrate their favorite season of the year in the midst of its polar opposite.

While waiting on line, which is sure to take longer than the four-minute ride, visitors will walk by Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post. The trader with the thick accent will occassionaly clear steam on the windows to utter a hearty “yoo-hoo!” to people walking by. “We consider this scene one,” Ms. Mangum said.

Once they board their logs, “Frozen Ever After” riders will first see goofy snowman Olaf and equally goofy reindeer Sven setting up the Winter Festival premise.

Next is a stop at Troll Valley, where Grandpappy Troll tells a gathering of children the story of how Anna and Kristof met, before the log goes up a ramp to find Olaf again, singing a song while ice skating, right next to Anna and Kristof, who are singing with their friend Sven.

Behind a set of doors is the moment any visitor is sure to be waiting for: Elsa, on a balcony, singing “Let It Go” in her ice castle. It’s the centerpiece of the ride, “the big, big scene,” Ms. Mangum said, and it features elaborate effects to create simulated snow crystals soaring around the room.

Visitors will next ride by Marshmallow, the giant, formerly evil snowman from “Frozen” and his miniature Snowgie pals, who show up in the short “Frozen Fever,” which ran in front of March’s “Cinderella.”

Marshmallow himself yells “Let It Go” in time with Elsa’s song before the log travels through a mist cloud and reaches the final scene, which includes fireworks and a wave from Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Sven and Kristof.

Well, put my in the officialy excited category, this sounds like it's going to be great! I'm very excited to see the audio-animatronic characters, I bet they will look fantastic!

I also see a lot of hate in various comments section around. I can understand that some people are a bit reluctant because "EPCOT is not about cartoon characters", but I'm seriously struggling to understand what was so great about Maelstrom. Seriously, people are making it sound like it was one of the best rides ever! I guess it's the classic syndrom where when a ride closes it instantly becomes 100x better...