TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

There was a Disney Channel Special on WDW several years back in like the late 80's or early 90's (when did Star Tours open? it was around the same time) starring John Lithgow. At the end he announced "Coming Attractions which included Tower of Terror, a Roger Rabbit dark ride much different that DL's, and "A Runaway Roller Coaster through Mount Fuji at the Japan Pavillion." It seems odd that a Disney-made show would give information about rides that were never built (except ToT).

^ I remember the special made around DL's 40th, that had the actor who played Harry in "Night Court"? Hosting the show about DL's history, present and....the Future?

In that special, they went thru the upcoming attraction based on The Little Mermaid - you guessed it - the old suspended clamshell ride, since 'shellved,' heh heh.

I think the whole concept of the DL Tomorrowland Update was in it too, including a first-look at "Alien Encounter". For Disneyland.

Hmmm. Well, plans DO change - even in TV Land.

(EDIT: Had to add more, more.)

Epcot is supposed to be 'educational'? I went there and although my mother loved it my dad and I prefered BGT (or BGA now ) and well pretty much everywhere else.

They want to 'edutain' us but does test track, hmmm.

Doubt they will build a rollercoaster, sorry.

I thought it was really educational, now we really know what happens to those unfortunate GM employees that don't make the cut, they're unofficial test dummies!

Epcot is supposed to be 'educational'? I went there and although my mother loved it my dad and I prefered BGT (or BGA now ) and well pretty much everywhere else.

They want to 'edutain' us but does test track, hmmm.

Doubt they will build a rollercoaster, sorry.

I tend to think that Epcot USED TO try to be educational, now Disney seems to think that didn't work so they're going with other ideas.

That whole "Project Gemini" smacks of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea debacle. Engineers & maintenance people conspire to get the attraction demolished because they're tired of doing their job. So the EPCOT people are tired of keeping the place "futuristic." Lazy SOBs. That's what you're hired to do. Now do it!

Thankfully, the $500 million it would cost to change it is a serious impediment from it ever happening. But don't think they won't keep trying. Eventually, they may win out if they can convice the higher ups that "this attraction costs too much to maintain. Let's demolish it and put in a bunch of trees!"

Some of the ideas sound okay, but c'mon... Discoveryland? Thrill rides? Don't we have enough parks with thrill rides? Is there no room in the world for a park like EPCOT? Why not just take the $500 million and build another park?

And what's going on with Wonders of Life? I'm gonna be miffed if they demolish that one.

I was just watching the other day a show on Travel Channel about the secrets behind DisneyWorld. How EPCOT was orginally supposed to be a duel city-attraction where people would actually live and work while tourists visit. They scratched that idea, stuck with the futuristic approach, and incorporated fun learning for families.

EPCOT opened, but families still weren't sold on the idea of learning while on vacation so the imagineers added thrill rides.

Go Figure! Disney thinks they need to add more thrill rides. Six Flags thinks they need less thrill rides. Can one park achieve a happy medium?!

/\ Pretty interesting there....

To me, Epcot has to have some type of thrill rides to keep it thriving...if it was just a huge theme park with nothing more than expensive exhibits you can see at your local Disovery Place downtown, they why go?

But not keeping Epcot to its intended idea/roots and making it an ultra-expensive theme park would be pointless, so just adding rides wouldn't be too good...a little of both could be a good median maybe?

Epcot rides should be like Adventures thru inner space. You only get a once in a lifetime chance to get "shrunk", so it's very unique, but then you see subatomic particles whizzing by and other actually stuff once you get shrunk. Epcot should be a place where you can get shrunk, go to outer space, be a crash test dummy, go under the sea, etc. all while being completely safe.

Epcot should add a ride in the living seas pavillion where you go to the bottom of the sea in a submarine in search of a giant squid.

Of course I've never even been to Epcot so I don't know much about the park.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Well, we don't have the full deets yet, so to assume she had some pre-existing condition is speculative, though obviously my gut says she probably did have something. Disney's pickle now is that they have a ride that can be linked to the death of two seperate people on two seperate occassions, but with similar symptoms. They either need to tone it down or replace it. Both of these options kind of suck, but its in the best interest of the park and the families of the deceased.

I can see it now. Mission: Playground.

I blame NASA.

And Disney, for not doing something the first time. Pre-existing condition or not, this thing is fatally triggering them at an alarming rate. There's a problem here.

The first time, the autopsy sugguested the boy died of natural causes.

Just sayin! You cant really be in a position to blame anyone, especially going off of information the parks and media have released.

-Jahan