TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

^agreed. Personally not a huge fan (like apparently everyone on here) of the film, but I feel like by including it into the Norway pavilion they are limiting their expansion of that IP. If that makes any sense.

I guess they could eventually just takeover the rest of Norway, but do think they would do that?

Once they take over the ride and create a meet and greet, is there really any Norway left in the pavilion? The restaurant is already a character buffet, and one has to assume that the current giant troll gift shop will be reworked to be Frozen, so what's left, really?

All I know is that I'm going to really LAUGH MY A$$ off at all of this when they actually do a very good job of integrating Frozen into the Norway pavilion, create a very good ride, and do World Showcase justice by not only bringing a much needed high profile attraction into that part of the park, but preserving the Norway feel which will make guests and fans very happy.

Because I'm sure that's exactly what they are going to do, and all this bitching will be wasted internet bandwidth. Moreso than it already is.

I'm not complaining at all with the fact they are bringing some new life into an old and mediocre (at best) attraction. I was just asking the question of, why not use a bigger space and do a large expansion? Such as a Cars Land or WWoHP.

It seems there are plenty of fans of the original movie plus with the sequels and what not I'm sure the fan base will just keep expanding.

Wait, first people are complaining that Frozen has no place in World Showcase or Epcot in general. Now people are complaining that Norway Pavilion isn't large enough to handle Frozen, or do the IP justice, and they should devote a space the size of Cars Land or Potterville?

I can't make sense of all the complaining. It's as if the attraction needs to be everything it was not announced to be or no one's going to be happy. Did people just totally miss how Frozen's setting was heavily based on Norway, despite not claiming to actually be in Norway? There's every reason to believe Norway Pavilion will feel just as Norway as it does today when the Frozen ride opens.

The better question might be just how 'Norway' does the current Norway Pavilion feel? Because Maelstrom, that epic 5 minute video, those perfume gift shops, and Akershus are all completely authentic recreations of present day Norway and totally give you the experience of being in Norway, right?

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

^agreed. Personally not a huge fan (like apparently everyone on here) of the film, but I feel like by including it into the Norway pavilion they are limiting their expansion of that IP. If that makes any sense.

I guess they could eventually just takeover the rest of Norway, but do think they would do that?

Once they take over the ride and create a meet and greet, is there really any Norway left in the pavilion? The restaurant is already a character buffet, and one has to assume that the current giant troll gift shop will be reworked to be Frozen, so what's left, really?

All I know is that I'm going to really LAUGH MY A$$ off at all of this when they actually do a very good job of integrating Frozen into the Norway pavilion, create a very good ride, and do World Showcase justice by not only bringing a much needed high profile attraction into that part of the park, but preserving the Norway feel which will make guests and fans very happy.

Because I'm sure that's exactly what they are going to do, and all this bitching will be wasted internet bandwidth. Moreso than it already is.

I'm not complaining at all with the fact they are bringing some new life into an old and mediocre (at best) attraction. I was just asking the question of, why not use a bigger space and do a large expansion? Such as a Cars Land or WWoHP.

It seems there are plenty of fans of the original movie plus with the sequels and what not I'm sure the fan base will just keep expanding.

Because there are such things as budgets? Why build the "land" when most of it is already there in the form of "Norway"? And who knows how long the "Frozen" thing will keep rolling?

Oh, yeah, and I rode Maelstrom twice tonight to get some photos and video... The ride really is "not good"

Well that's obvious! Of all the the gripes regarding the upgrade and/or replacement of Maelstrom with a Frozen attraction, the "we love Maelstrom" fan wank is the most absurd of all. If anything, to appreciate the ride, you have to put your irony hat on, and enjoy the camp of Norwegian history interpreted through the eyes of the 1980s and reduced to trolls and oil platforms.

As for my original comment regarding Frozen taking over the Norway pavilion, it wasn't meant to by cynical. If they replace the ride, upgrade the shop at the end of the ride to be Frozen-oriented (which, of COURSE they're going to do,) and add a dedicated Frozen meet-and-greet, no doubt by the church and kid's play area ship "wreck," what's left in Norway that's not Frozen-related? The character meet and greet buffet?

My argument is that they should just go whole hog and overly the entire pavilion into Arendelle. Like, go for it. Nobody wants to go to Norway but everyone wants to go and have a day in Arendelle. It could very well set the stage for a great transformation of the World Showcase into a series of miniature lands like they crafted in Hong Kong Disneyland. It would align the Imagineers with the wishes of corporate Disney (more IPs, more characters, more synergy profit centers.) And it COULD start Epcot on the way to a vibrant reinvention.

Think on this: I personally love the tin toy museum in Japan and the ritual of putting on kimono drag whilst drunk off my ass (or halfway there, depending on if I began in Mexico or Canada.) But, that museum space is always nearly empty or next to empty. It's just me with my beer and goggles. Now, imagine Japan as the foundation for a rework of the pavilion into Big Hero 6, or a pastiche of Miyaki attractions. Sure, I might lose the drag fun but I might gain a lot more to do, and a lot more new things to do at a revitalized park. (I'm still gonna drink, though.)

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think using the pavilions as foundations for character and IP-driven rides and experiences isn't a bad thing, especially because Disney never really "got" Epcot in the first place. If the company takes those pavilion pastiches and uses them to transport us to an idealized slice of their character driven pies, as long as I can get my booze on whilst doing it, I'm all for it.

What's more, it offers up Epcot an ample opportunity to drop Mystic Pointe into one or two of the empty pads in World Showcase, which is A-OK in my book.

(And honestly, from a theme perspective, World Showcase is just fine. It's Future World, despite having more stuff to do, that's a Dead Mall mess.)

Edited by ace1974

Why was my previous post deleted?

I was mentioning how I cant seem to ask a valid question without being accused of complaining.

Ive been on these forums for 9 years now and honestly, I've never seen the censorship like this.

^I deleted your post because I'd like the Epcot *Discussion* thread to go back to discussing and less arguing back and forth about a children's ride from a bunch of men.

I looked up your other posts and saw that you like to argue a lot which helped make my decision easier. If you feel there is too much censorship here feel free to leave.

Having heard a lot of interesting things about Maelstrom since the Frozen announcement I thought I would check out a POV of the ride. Now I had never even heard of this attraction until this announcement so I had no idea what to expect and after watching the POV I think its safe to say that there is no single reason as to why the ride should stay. It was one seriously DUMB ride. From what I gathered it was telling me that Norway was full of anorexic polar bears and random trolls. Now I may have missed something but I don't remember Norway being like that.

Anyone who can't see how good a Frozen ride is going to be for business are insane. People do seem to forget that when it all comes down to it thats what the park is, its a business. A Frozen ride will I'm sure be a huge boost for the park and generate a great amount of money for them.

I can't wait to see the finished product and plan a trip to go ride it. Everyone who wants to keep Maelstrom all you people need to just "Let It Go"

-Craig

Now I may have missed something but I don't remember Norway being like that.

This is a really good point. I wonder how many people that are arguing about this ride have actually been to Norway? I know for me, I've been several times and I've personally never seen anything that looks like the attraction. That being said, I've not ever seen anything that looks like Frozen either, so really, what does it matter?

As for my original comment regarding Frozen taking over the Norway pavilion, it wasn't meant to by cynical. If they replace the ride, upgrade the shop at the end of the ride to be Frozen-oriented (which, of COURSE they're going to do,) and add a dedicated Frozen meet-and-greet, no doubt by the church and kid's play area ship "wreck," what's left in Norway that's not Frozen-related? The character meet and greet buffet?

My argument is that they should just go whole hog and overly the entire pavilion into Arendelle. Like, go for it. Nobody wants to go to Norway but everyone wants to go and have a day in Arendelle. It could very well set the stage for a great transformation of the World Showcase into a series of miniature lands like they crafted in Hong Kong Disneyland. It would align the Imagineers with the wishes of corporate Disney (more IPs, more characters, more synergy profit centers.) And it COULD start Epcot on the way to a vibrant reinvention.

I think this is a really interesting idea, and definitely one that only Epcot could really pull off at WDW. Bringing Frozen to Norway, Ratatouille to Paris, and so on from there could really give each pavillion (or land) a star attraction and a really effective way to connect more kids (and adults) to those movies' respective cultures by bridging the gap via immersive experiences. It also keeps Epcot from ever having to do *huge* projects like WWOHP or Pandora, keeping each new attraction + overhaul in-line with what HKDL has been doing over the last five years.

YUMMMMMMmmmmmmm....

Just finished up 16 potstickers at the first day of Food & Wine! My scientific research for the season has begun and will continue through November. I will this year get a final answer and tell you all the differences between the potstickers in China once and for all!!!

Today is the opening of Epcot's Food & Wine Festival 2014! I think most of you already know that of all the fall events here in Orlando, this is the one we look forward to the most. We did a lap around the event today and it looks FANTASTIC! The new country booths are great and the Puerto Rico area has to be the biggest looking booth they've ever done! Really impressed! Loved the new craft beer area. Patagonia, Farm Fresh and Brazil also looked great! We sampled some of our past favorites and quite a few new ones as well! Photos below... Enjoy!

Bx5k5I5IMAAZRVi.jpg:large

Today is opening day for Walt Disney World's Epcot Food & Wine! Our favorite season at WDW!

Bx5mU0sIQAEtdaB.jpg:large

Gonna check out the welcome center first!

Bx5nvh7CEAAB8Rw.jpg:large

Love all the beer stuff!

Bx5oxuzIYAAkVJ9.jpg:large

But of COURSE I will be trying all of these tasty treats!

Bx5qzPuIAAA4OLw.jpg:large

Hands down my favorite event at Walt Disney World, maybe even all of theme parks!

Bx5tLjxIAAAKGgU.jpg:large

Ran into Epcot Executive Chef Jens! Thanks for all this awesome food!

Bx5u11UIIAAa61f.jpg:large

Country of Beer! Yessss! Favorite new country at Epcot Food & Wine! (There is even a Facebook check in for it!)

Bx5wZacIIAEYUhP.jpg:large

Since the pork slider was introduced in 2011 it's been one of my faves!

Bx5wyfFIMAAoudg.jpg:large

Love the setup for Puerto Rico.

Bx5xqmdIcAAE-vk.jpg:large

If you're heading to Walt Disney World Epcot Food & Wine Festival be prepared! Get one of these to hold your Food & Wine!

Bx5y9ReIIAAupjD.jpg:large

Yes! Yummy little lamb in New Zealand! You guys made GREAT meatballs! Will be having many of them this year!

Bx52Up3IcAEwdjf.jpg:large

Food & Wine 2014 is now OPEN! Our first booth... HAWAII!!!

Bx52s4-IEAAJdUv.jpg:large

Because one Hawaiian Pork Slider just isn't enough!

Bx55OLgIQAAarER.jpg:large

Yard Bird with Habanero sauce. FANTASTIC! Favorite new item so far!

Bx56Ol_IgAAYqqy.jpg:large

How DARE they put something non-Norwegian in Norway! Don't they know World Showcase MUST stay authentic??? I'm gonna go start a petition on the internet RIGHT NOW!!! Next thing you know Disney characters will be roaming around. Ugh, how could they do this?!?!?

Bx57DqiIYAEemPf.jpg:large

The potstickers research has begun! The festival version still reigns over the China quick serve...but WHY??!! More research WILL be conducted!

Bx596jVIUAA7RKP.jpg:large

Dear Epcot - PLEASE STOP MAKING ALL THIS AMAZING FOOD!!! I'm gonna have to do 24/7 at the gym to work it all off!

Bx5_GW9IUAAmwnp.jpg:large

First alcohol at Epcot Food & Wine. Love the German Grapefruit beer and I don't even like grapefruit!

Bx6ChkgIgAAT14W.jpg:large

Two different Pierogi? Yes, please! The one with the pork goulash. OMG! Seriously, they were both good!

[vine]

[/vine]

Hops & Barley cast members were amazing! lol

Bx6m188IQAALbkv.jpg:large

Jack & I got the beef slider & Cherry Wheat beer at Hops & Barley! Want some?

Bx6FP1IIUAEL5Kj.jpg:large

OMG! They have a mini version of the "floppy gyoza bun" from Tokyo DisneySea!

Bx6IaonIIAEsc8k.jpg:large

New for Walt Disney World Epcot Food & Wine Festival in 2014 ... Brazil!!! Obrigado!

Bx6JrD7IYAAaBTF.jpg:large

The Belgium booth requires a LOT of Waffle Irons!

Bx6NE37IYAA4jEW.jpg:large

OMG! I just got a selfie with Duffy! Day made! (This makes me miss Japan!)

Bx6Oe5AIMAA3vh-.jpg:large

The new Puerto Rico booth looked FANTASTIC!

Bx6QAZhIMAA9w9H.jpg:large

"Hey, buddy... You probably should sit down with the news I'm about to tell you..."

Bx6c1NcIcAAtVrh.jpg:large

Heading into the Country of Beer!

Bx6gXRxIQAAHuQC.jpg:large

Gotta love places with lots of beer taps!

Bx6j2PQCAAA6enc.jpg:large

Here's my "Country of Beer" beer flight! Which one do you want?

Bx6pR-8CAAEBWUt.jpg:large

Florida State law says you can't leave Walt Disney World Epcot Food & Wine Festival without getting Cheddar Cheese soup from Canada!

Bx6tyeFCIAEqctc.jpg:large

Elissa was the very 1st China guest Walt Disney World Epcot Food & Wine Festival ... surprising no one.

Bx6uNEyCMAE6BmN.jpg:large

England says "No, Scotland! Don't leave! We need more of your vegetarian haggis!"

Bx6weSYCQAACWMR.jpg:large

LOVED the mini gyoza bun. While it's smaller and different than Tokyo DisneySea version, it was AWESOME! (chicken teriyaki inside was very tasty)

Bx62IRQIAAAyxAt.jpg:large

How beer is made... I'm a big fan of the "enjoying" part of the process!

Bx63sowIQAEwS_K.jpg:large

OMG! Warm chocolate pudding! Stop! Just..stop!!! Need this! NOW!

Bx68akJIIAAkpP2.jpg

The tacos from Mexico are some my "staple favorites" (Rib eye taco - yesss!)

Bx69ydBCAAAOrdD.jpg

That wraps up our first (and most certainly not last) visit to 2014's Food & Wine Festival!

Thanks for reading! POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!