TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I figured this would come. I hope they extend the show building and make the ride longer.

I've heard that plans to extend the building were looked into but then were scrapped, but even if they just put the Frozen Characters in front of what they already have it will be a super improvement and make the lives of all girls 10 and under! (and some 40 year old website owners!)

I think it's a good fit. It needs SOMETHING done to it, because what they currently have is a HUGE misrepresentation of that country, why not turn it into something that's more fantasy anyway?!?! Plus, it's their biggest movie in years, and should prove to have lasting power.

Better to upgrade with something current rather than a movie from the 40's (cough Mexico cough).

I figured this would come. I hope they extend the show building and make the ride longer.

I've heard that plans to extend the building were looked into but then were scrapped, but even if they just put the Frozen Characters in front of what they already have it will be a super improvement and make the lives of all girls 10 and under! (and some 40 year old website owners!)

That's what I heard too. But this franchise is so volatile, who knows what can happen!! Maybe the fan reaction with be amazing and they will be motivated to go the extra mile.

My first reaction to this is that of disappointment. Here's why...

To me, this kind of attraction does not have a place in Epcot. Especially not in World Showcase. World Showcase is not about promoting Disney franchises. It's about promoting countries of the world and representing them in a type of world's fair. How does shoving a fictional Disney story into Norway fit? It just doesn't make any sense. Seems like a completely corporate-driven decision, and to me it takes a lot away from the spirit of World Showcase and the Norway pavilion in general.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about a Frozen ride. But it belongs in the Magic Kingdom. Period. I feel bad for the people of Norway (who, by the way, did NOT want this...)

^ Yes, I totally agree with that!

If this is an attraction along the lines of The Seas with Nemo and Friends where the characters ease the transition into the real educational attraction, I'm okay with that.

But if this the equivalent of Under the Sea but telling the story of Frozen instead, then I don't like the idea at all! Part of the appeal of EPCOT, at least to me, is that there are very few character attractions that aren't meet-and-greets...

Ugh, that is so cheap. This is the biggest property Disney has had on their hands in years and they're not willing to invest more on this? What a shame.

I typically only ride Maelstrom if I'm with someone that's never been on it, or if there's no wait. It's not a great ride. This will be a huge hit.

People need to remember that Disney is a business, and Frozen will bring in a hell of a lot more people than Maelstrom currently does.

Now, let's do something about that Imagination pavillion...

I see where those who don't like the idea of Disney franchises being put into the pavilions are coming from, but I disagree.

If you don't like that they are putting a Disney franchise-themed ride in World Showcase than I have a solution for you: DON'T RIDE IT!

Disney knows what they are doing. I'm sure the ride will still blend into the Norway area perfectly. And it'll draw a much higher crowd than Maelstrom ever did.

I can only hope that this revamp and Test Track lead to other refreshes of the rides in Epcot. Captain EO, Journey into Imagination, the China and Canada Movies, Energy Adventure, and Soarin' could all use enhanced effects or a new overlay.

Or maybe just maybe a totally new attraction at DHS, the Waterparks, or Epcot. Heaven Forbid.

I am not a huge fan of Frozen. Frankly I think people get too aggressive and too wrapped up in it, but for a park that has not changed dramatically in the last few years and that can use an upgrade, I am excited to see something new added!

I have heard a lot of criticism from people that WDW does not add new attractions often enough and that they need new things more regularly. When they want to create something new, they look to update or remove older attractions that do not have the popularity that they originally had and carried for many years. As they said in the press release, WDW will never stop growing.

Change is good.

It was only a matter of time before this happened. It will definitely bring in the crowds for sure. I've always been indifferent to Maelstrom. I kinda liked it, but I'm not sad it's going away.

I think that if Disney does the attraction right (as in not make it like a traditional disney storybook dark ride), it will fit in with the Norway area just fine.

The one and only thing I will miss from Maelstrom is that amazing mural in the loading area. Apart from that, this is a great announcement!

People have been whining & complaining for 30 years that there isn't enough for kids to do or look forward to in World Showcase. Well, here's your answer. Hopefully the increased traffic this brings sparks additional interest in World Showcase's other offerings such as Reflections of China and American Adventure - stuff that is kid-friendly but not really kid-enticing. I wonder what the complainers who would decry this in favor of a laughably out of date Maelstrom ride/Norway video would say about that eventuality...

For those wondering what will become of the movie theatre, the announcement did mention an included meet n' greet with Anna & Elsa. What more perfect place could there be than that huge room? (Assuming no load bearing walls are going to be moved in the re-do.)

Color me indifferent as I didn't think Maelstrom was all that great and I have never watched Frozen. I am sure it will be a huge hit for families though so definitely a big plus for Epcot.

It's all about the unique food and booze for me when I am at Epcot World Showcase...and of course, Illumigaytions.