TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

^^It's pay as you go. Grab a gift card and just swipe and eat!

lordy, lordy. . I'd be $300 in the hole before even getting halfway thru

(we did the sorta/kinda one they had at CaliforniaAdventure when we were last there. The cooking demos were fun, but the food was included after the demonstrations, so we didn't spend too much money -- at least not all at once).

I did Food & Wine with a group of a few dozen people and it was great. Everyone took turns buying food & drink, and by sharing we were able to pretty much try eveything without breaking the bank or being overstuffed.

Question: what app or software do you use to make your photo collages?

Using "Pic Collage" on the iPhone. Love it!

Thanks, I will check it out. There are a gazillion collage apps so it's hard to know what is good and what isn't.

I'm going to miss the fondue, but am looking forward to trying the souffle.

And I don't think there's enough alcohol on the planet to get me to eat haggis...

dt

I'm curious about the Vegetarian Haggis; it has to be better than real haggis.

For those people who seem to be complaining that each countries food isn't 100% OMFG authentic, there is something you all need to understand - This is the "Disney version" of food items you will find from different countries. The items, while inspired by each country, is developed by the Disney chefs and created for the audience that comes to the parks.

It may not be 100% authentic, but I can assure you they are 100% DAMN GOOD!

So I was honestly trying to convey "mock horror" rather than any real complaint, sorry if it came across differently. I'm always intrigued by foreign interpretations of local foods, and agree that if it works, who cares if it's not 100% authentic? I don't think Australia can be too precious about our cuisine, given that this mostly involves barbecuing something and calling it a national dish.

^ It wasn't just you. Had heard a number of people complain that "their countries" offerings weren't perfect. And then of course these same people went to other countries booths, which also weren't 100% spot on either, and then raved about how awesome it was.

Go figure.

It's meant to be an event in good fun and great food. If I wanted 100% authentic, I'd go to the actual country.

--Robb "Epcot's Eiifel Tower isn't built to scale, why aren't people complaining??? (Other than Kevin Yee)" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Lovin' the haggis discussions....

As a Scot, I actually prefer veggie haggis but regular haggis is good too. I reckon they put regular haggis on the menu because no one would eat it if they knew exactly what was in it

I definitely have to get to F&W one day. It looks AMAZING!!

True story: while drinking around the world with the Aussies, they would not let me drink Fosters because it is crap. That's all I think of when the discussion of how authentic the booths are comes up.

Lovin' the haggis discussions....

As a Scot, I actually prefer veggie haggis but regular haggis is good too. I reckon they put regular haggis on the menu because no one would eat it if they knew exactly what was in it

I definitely have to get to F&W one day. It looks AMAZING!!

I have eaten regular haggis. Well, at least I can say I've tried it.

One of the best things about this event is that it changes the whole vibe of world showcase for the better. It's like the adults leave the kids at home, relax and chill out with some great food and drink. Then, as the evening wears on you see more and more happy drunks. Spent a great couple of hours last year drinking, eating and people watching.

Only 2 weeks until this years trip, and as we're picking up annual passes we'll be making multiple trips to the best event at WDW.

Wow, Epcot Food and Wine looks great! This kind of reminds me of a food truck festival I went to in SF were they were over 30 food trucks including many different nationalities which I loved. I would hit up all the different types of Asian country booths and I would probably hit up all the other country booths (except the Cheese one) before trying the Haggis. Was there a Spain booth by the way?

True story: while drinking around the world with the Aussies, they would not let me drink Fosters because it is crap. That's all I think of when the discussion of how authentic the booths are comes up.

A question for all you Aussies out there: so is Fosters the Coors Light of Australia? What would be a good beer to showcase at Food & Wine? Maybe some Shiraz is in order?

EDIT: Yep, I see Shiraz on the menu now that I've checked.

A question for all you Aussies out there: so is Fosters the Coors Light of Australia? What would be a good beer to showcase at Food & Wine? Maybe some Shiraz is in order?

I'm not a huge beer person, but Crown Lager or Cascade would be decent mid-range Aussie beers.

True stories from the Australian booth (my wife and I are Australian);

Wife - orders a lamb chop with her Aussie accent in full force, takes delivery of said shrimp, and is asked "where are you from?"..."Australia"...

Me - orders the shrimp with my Aussie accent, wearing my Aussie flag hat..."where are you from?"..."Australia"...

This amused us no end, but all in good fun.

Our opinions of the Aussie food;

lamb chop - underdone compared to what we are used to (which is cooked on a barbie just beyond nuclear apocalypse) but OK

garlic shrimp - tasted just fine to me.

pavlova - didn't have it. I'm not a huge pavlova fan at the best of times.

the wines - all good quality choices

Our opinions of the rest of the food (I managed to get around 4 times, my wife twice);

- pretty much everything is DELICIOUS. Really DELICIOUS.

- portion sizes are suitably small and cheap so even if you don't like something it's no big deal.

- the dishes are probably "Disneyfied" but so what? We now have a ton of new dishes to seek out and try full portions of.

The biggest thing I concluded was to simply "JUST TRY IT". There were a heap of things which sounded banal to begin with but which ended up being delicious.

My favourites;

- Singapore: Mahi-Mahi

- Africa: the beef dish

- Terra (vegan): both the fake meatballs and the fake chicken were great

- Scotland: the salmon

- Mexico: the beef taco

^^ Hilarious! At least the cashier was trying to be friendly. I wouldn't be able to respond with a straight face to that question in that circumstance, much less twice.

Yet another reason why I have to go to this event! I thought the African dishes looked great. There are super delicious flavor combos that you can only find in African dishes.

^I think the novelty would wear off if it was year round. Now that they're also offering similar booths during Flower and Garden we at least have a fall and spring food event there. Plus, I like to eat at some of the normal world showcase restaurants and I feel weird doing that during the events.

I agree. The excitement would be greatly diminished if it was year round.

My wallet would be greatly diminished if it was year round.

So incredibly sad that I'm missing it this year. My little boy owes me big time!

• 1 month later...