TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

p. 118 - EPCOT Destination D23 news roundup!

^I see both sides of it really. First off, I think it's really aimed more at Disneyland than Disneyworld to prevent the parents from buying their kids a pass and treating Disney as a baby sitter.

On one side, it's a great idea. Under-14's shouldn't be roaming the parks themselves and probably need supervision.

On the other side, I remember going to Disney World with my parents and being bored as hell at Epcot and my parents letting me park hop over to Magic Kingdom by myself probably around 13 years old.

So basically it's the case with most things, a select few have ruined an opportunity from the rest of us and we'll just have to accept it.

Yet another example of Disney declining by degrees. They got rid of their incredibly popular Nescafé coffee, got rid of those wonderful long lines with Fast Pass, got rid of their wonderfully bland food with more choices and flavorful food, and now they're getting rid of their free babysitting! It's obvious they'll only last another year or two.

LOL, it seems every year, they move close and closer to almost doing a spring and fall Food and Wine fest. Itd be cool if they eventually did 2 with different menues for the countries individual seasons!

I completely agree with this.. While I'm a horticulturalist by profession and my wife and I even even enjoyed our honeymoon at Epcot during the flower and garden festival, the food and wine festival is just so much better...

• 1 month later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/04/behind-the-scenes-of-the-monstrous-eye-nouncement-at-disney-parks/

Last night, a giant Mike Wazowski from the upcoming Disney●Pixar film “Monsters University” helped announce our first-ever three-park, all-night party at Disney Parks on Memorial Day Weekend, the traditional start of the family travel season. Eight projectors were used to transform the huge sphere of Spaceship Earth into the beloved character for the show at Epcot. Today, we have a behind-the-scenes look at how the teams made it happen.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/EblHDit6pJ4[/youtu_be]

The same artists who created Mike Wazowski for the upcoming Disney●Pixar film also created the animation for our Monstrous Summer announcement at Epcot. “You have all of these great partners working together for this one moment and it’s never happened before,” said Mike Roddy, senior show writer and director for Walt Disney Creative Entertainment. “What you’re seeing is really the first time we’ve done something like this.”

If you missed the announcement, the three-park all-night party is happening at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park in California. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time.

In Florida, Magic Kingdom Park will feature a “Monsters University” theme where Mike and Sulley will be the Grand Marshals of the “Celebrate a Dream Come True” day parade and make appearances in Tomorrowland. There will be extra entertainment throughout the day and night, including characters in their pajamas in Town Square during the late night and early morning, and late-night dance parties in and around the courtyard of Cinderella Castle.

In California, you’ll be able to party the night away at both parks with special entertainment including: a “Monsters University” “TLT Monstrous” Dance Club and Star Wars characters in Tomorrowland and late-night Character Pajama Party in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland park. The new Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre at Disneyland park will become a Royal Dance Hall late at night with a live band and dancing; and guests at Disney California Adventure park will find Monstrous photo opportunities with new “Monsters University” “dorms” in Hollywood Land and a new “Monsters University” float leading the Pixar Play Parade.

All three parks will feature limited-edition specialty merchandise and food and beverage offerings, plus other surprises throughout the entire day. Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and the Monstrous Summer site for more details in coming weeks.

It just seems so weird seeing Michael Roddy working for Disney now, after he spent so many years making sure people were scared to death at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. But he and the rest of the Disney crew did a great job with the Mike Wazowski projection on Spaceship Earth.

It kind of sucks that Roddy went from creating great attractions for GUESTS to now creating shows for a media event to promote a new Disney movie.

I'd love to see these projections come to Illuminations but it seems that most of Disney's efforts are interested in promotions rather than building attractions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick overview of Epcot from the recent visit in years with the 3 year old and wife (for her first time...)

The future side we spent a ton of time in, and I was surprised to see just how much I still love this park. The changes made to Test Track were surprisingly outstanding, and even though the original theme is somewhat lacking, it's still perhaps the most fascinating park concept out there. The country side is also great, although tough to navigate in bad weather...

Imagination needs help. Captain EO was fun to see again, and was twenty times the show HISA was. The Land was better with narrators. The Lion King show still works surprisingly well. Test Track's new 'create-a-car' thing was outstanding. My group entered completely skeptical but exited loving it. My 3 year old's car design was the winner of our group (based on the "test" it went through). It looked hilarious. The 3 year old loved the ride too.

It's nice that so much of this park is in pavilions with air. It was SUPER HOT out, and unlike Animal Kingdom that has so little of it, it was nice to have nearly constant indoor breaks. I didn't feel totally nasty until the afternoon, which wasn't the case in any of the other parks during the trip.

I didn't do Space. I liked the update to Spaceship Earth, even the goofy thing at the end. It rained a ton in the afternoon, and there is little covered space in the countries, even the stores don't connect often. Made it tough to enjoy.

Saw Illuminations for the first time since it was updated. Outstanding show. This was our last day there, and it made a great endcap to the day. Could have easily spent two days here, and there was more than enough for the 3 year old to do which surprised me. He left wanting to do more. This might now be my favorite Florida park.

• 4 weeks later...

The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia

"The Imagination pavilion at Epcot will cease operations on January 2nd, 2014. The Captain EO show will not reopen, while the ride and retail location are rumored to remain closed for one year for renovations. There is no official statement from Disney on the scale of work at this time."

Hope this is just a rumor.

Figment is fun I have to admit, but the ride itself is dreadful. If they keep Figment and the Imagination theme but completely redo the ride, the pavilion could be awesome.

This is just a thought, but if the Muppets get removed from Hollywood Studios for Cars or Star Wars, could they modify the theater inside to suit the film, or maybe even a new original Muppet film?