TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I was a fan of the old Test Track and have ridden it countless times, but I absolutely love the new version. I was blown away with how different and unrecognizable the new queue is compared to the old one, in a good way. And while it was fun to mess around with designing your car, I do like the fact that the single rider line can pretty much bypass that and get on the ride quickly.

Just got back from the Test Track re-launch party. All I can say is WOW!!! Not only does Disney really know how to throw a party, the ride was FANTASTIC! Here's a mini-update and then I'll post the full thing later...

About the ride...

- I can see that someone would still "like" the old version (I do!), but after riding the new version, I can't believe anyone wouldn't think they did a GREAT job on it! Has to be the best "re-imagined" attraction I've seen Disney do to date.

- The "Design-a-car" aspect of it exceeded all my expectations. I thought it would be kind of cheesy, but it was so well done, really integrated in the ride, and so intuitive that even Kristen did the whole thing without our help. Well done!

- The ride feels really "NEW" again. The queue is just stunning when you walk in the door for the first time. I couldn't even believe there had been a ride there for 10+ years.

- For all those people who kept saying they needed to do something with the outside portion, I disagree. The outside portion of Test Track was and is still one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. It's certainly WAY better than the outside portion of Radiator Springs Racers (and don't get me wrong, I really like that ride!), so I'm not sure why the outside portion would have needed any enclosure or anything, except...

- My only *slight* negative was that there used to be audio during the outside portion (Push it! Push it! Push it!) and it seems weird that the outside portion is now totally quiet. But that's only a minor nitpick. The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Ok, onto a few pics....

Tonight we are at Epcot for the Test Track re-launch media party!

Test Track is a party atmosphere tonight!

And Disney sure knows how to throw a party!

One Republic will be taking the stage later tonight at the Test Track Re-Launch party!

Even KidTums got a glowey drink! (Don't worry... It's just Sprite... We think! lol)

I'm a huge fan of Test Track and movies like Tron so I'm kinda geeking out right now!

The new Test Track queue is totally changed and its AWESOME!!!

The effects in the queue are amazing. Multiple images are mapped into this car.

The queue has interactive elements to keep you busy while you wait!

With our RFID card in hand, we are about to go into Studio B to design our car!

KidTums is a future Chevrolet car designer!

Here is the car that KidTums designed. It's blue with butterfly's and flowers! lol

I think this is my favourite part of the new Test Track! GONE are all the congested queues and the bottle necking from the old pre-show rooms! LOVE THIS!!!!

KidTums taps the card to upload the vehicle she designed!

Here we are in our car of the future!

Photos don't do the new version justice. These rooms are just so slick, high-tech looking and impressive. You really gotta ride it!

The outside section is still, hands down, one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. And the lighting at night is AWESOME!

Remember KidTums - don't drink and drive!

There's One Republic! Now the party has really kicked into high gear!

The ride is a HUGE improvement! It's not that far of a departure from the original concept. New Test Track is a WIN!

All I can say is WOW! They did an AWESOME job on the new version! Once you've been on the new version, especially with how amazing the

queue is laid out, and how cool the "design your car" part of the interactivity is, I can't imagine how people would say they like the old version "better." I can understand people still liking the old version (I do!), but this new version is also FANTASTIC! One of the best "re-imagined" Disney attractions they've done to date!

POV Video:

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for the feedback Robb!

I think one reason people don't like the outside portion is because during the day, the transition from indoors to outdoors is very jarring. But at night when you rode, it has fantastic lighting which really suits it well.

But thats just my 2 cents

^ I think some of you forget that the indoor to outdoor portion on the old ride was also jarring. And on top of that they blinded you with the on-ride photo flash right as the doors opened! I see that whole argument as a minor nitpick, one that I personally throw out as someone "looking" to find something negative to say about the ride.

It's been a while since I've rode test track so I did have to think hard about the outside portion comparison with Radiator Springs Racers. I was never a fan of the "industrial" theming of the outside (and inside for that matter). But the speed vs the slower bunny hills. Yea, the speed is amazing on Test Track! Against the old Test Track I would give the Racers the advantage, but looking at the new interior, wow, might be a draw, tricky

Makes me need to get over to there again! Thanks for the pictures.

Against the old Test Track I would give the Racers the advantage, but looking at the new interior, wow, might be a draw, tricky

I think it's very natural for everyone to instantly start jumping to the Radiator Springs vs Test Track argument. Having ridden both, I honestly think that Radiator Springs is a much better family attraction, while Test Track is the better thrill ride. I don't think I like one better than the other, I think they really stand out in different ways.

I think this is my favourite part of the new Test Track! GONE are all the congested queues and the bottle necking from the old pre-show rooms! LOVE THIS!!!!

THIS. Seriously, such a drastic improvement.

^This. I unfortunately missed Test Track last week so I can't totally offer a view on this. But my rides on RSR, though I love the ride, did feel like just when it gets going it pulls back and limits itself. Test Track (based off POVs) seems like it floors it and actually takes the cars up to what they are capable of.

But as said before, they get compared because of the ride system similarities. When it comes down to it, they are totally different rides that stand on their own merits for what they are intended to accomplish (Test Track is a thrill ride, RSR is a family ride).

Loved the update Robb, the ride look absolutely stunning. When I was at Epcot, the only negative I could find was Mission: Space being the only thrill. Had Test Track been open and rounding out the offerings a bit more, I think I would have been totally 100% happy with that park (Who am I kidding? That park was amazing regardless).

This, by itself, is a major improvement, but the whole refurb looks excellent. Definitely looking forward to riding Test Track again.

Against the old Test Track I would give the Racers the advantage, but looking at the new interior, wow, might be a draw, tricky

I think it's very natural for everyone to instantly start jumping to the Radiator Springs vs Test Track argument.

It's also very natural for a CALIFORNIAN to jump on that band wagon because how DARE someone say that a ride somewhere else other than California might be better than a version of something they have!

Well, here's the reality of the situation - Radiator Springs Racers, while a very, very good ride that I really liked a LOT, is the weakest of the three rides made with that ride system.

No matter how you slice it, it still goes Journey > Test Track > Racers

I think it's kind of funny how people continue to try to justify the weak ending of Racers because it's a "family ride", but here's the reality of the situation, it's just weak.

A ride themed on a "race" should not feel slow...and it feels slow. It's no more/less of a family ride than Journey or Test Track. They all have the same height restrictions, they all are targeting a similar audience. Racers just has a weak ending when it should have been going balls out like Test Track. And that's the honest truth!

As for "Does the outdoor section on Test Track feel like the ride is 'giving it's all' more-so than Racers?", it's funny you mention that - when we walked up to Test Track last night and watched those cars ZOOM past, keeping in mind that was the first time we've seen Test Track operate since April, and we were just in California two weeks ago, the first thing i said was "Wow, you can really see the VERY noticeable difference in speed between Test Track and Racers."

I liked Racers a lot more than I thought I would, but I felt it was really missing a "WOW!" moment. Test Track has it when you crash through the wall into the outdoor part, and then again, when you're going nearly 70MPH (and you REALLY feel it), Journey has it when you hit the Lava Monster and then again when you come out of the volcano, and I just didn't really feel like Racers has any "moment" like this at all.

Sure, you can argue that "Racers" is supposed to be a family ride, more of a dark ride, whatever, but it's the weakest of the three... and it's still a GREAT GREAT ride! (So Californians, don't get all butt hurt, you have a very good ride you should be proud of, it's just not the best, sorry... that award still goes to Journey.) But this whole thing about "Oh, it's ok that Racers is slower because it's a family ride" is bullsh*t. It's just slower. It felt more like Rocket Rods than Test Track, and it SHOULD have felt more like Test Track.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Did you happen to get any pictures of the outdoor lightning at night? Just curious what that looked like, I can't remember if the old version had any lighting at night on the outdoor section or not. I'll admit, my comments about the outdoor section were REALLY nit picky. I wasn't really trying to complain about it or purposely find something to be negative about I was just thinking that a little bit of the lighting they used inside could really enhance the experience outside, especially at night.

The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Did you happen to get any pictures of the outdoor lightning at night? Just curious what that looked like, I can't remember if the old version had any lighting at night on the outdoor section or not. I'll admit, my comments about the outdoor section were REALLY nit picky. I wasn't really trying to complain about it or purposely find something to be negative about I was just thinking that a little bit of the lighting they used inside could really enhance the experience outside, especially at night.

image.thumb.jpg.e202f5381eaa5beca5a79be621898822.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b56c1545444ae6cf2ae5c6767418fbc5.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.051b29687e0994b33798f5a82b62c184.jpg

--Robb

Every ride needs a Lava Monster! It's hard to top how Journey quickly winds its way back to the surface, too--no to mention that nice pop of air when you emerge from the cave.

If all they had done was fix the queue, it would have been a vast improvement. But all of these changes make me really want to get down there soon to ride this. The ride looks really, really good.

And yes, any ride on Earth can be improved with the addition of Lava Monster!

dt

A ride themed on a "race" should not feel slow...and it feels slow. It's no more/less of a family ride than Journey or Test Track. They all have the same height restrictions, they all are targeting a similar audience. Racers just has a weak ending when it should have been going balls out like Test Track. And that's the honest truth!

--Robb

Yea, can't seem to argue with that ordering, especially with the new theming... Tron, how can go wrong! My youngest daughter wants me to book a trip today (Disney converted her with Electronica)

I wish with Racers you got more of a race feel from it, like one car moving out in front where you can see it then being able to catch up.

I can't see defending anything over anything else just due to location. I want all things to get the best of everything. Some will be better some will be worse. I really just want them to be different. If I travel 1000+ miles to see something I don't want to see the exact same thing that I can drive 30 minutes to see.

Got to try out the new Test Track earlier yesterday and finally completed all the rides at Disney World.

It is crazy cool, weird, and disjointed. The vehicle design process is my favorite part, you get about 10 minutes to complete it and do whatever the heck you want to your car. My friends and I ended up with 3 vehicles that ended up completely different from each other.

I thought the ride itself had a bit of the 80's computer thing going on more so than futuristic stuff. Lots of grid lines, not to compare this ride to Tron because in the end it has NOTHING to do with Tron, but the computer grid styling is all there. The rendered concept cars often reminded me a lot of F-Zero X for the N64.

As far as disjointed, it is a bit odd at times. The Front entrance and queue line really don't look much like the design room which doesn't really look like the station for the ride. Then the ride looks like the design room did, except for the outdoor section, which IMO is a really really odd and frankly poor transition going from "Futuristic Nighttime Highway" to "Modern Interstate and Very Ugly Epcot Backstage" even if it's fast and fun. DEFINITELY needs some audio. That's a no brainer to me. Maybe it's a night ride at heart...

After the ride, everything is done really well and we had a hell of a time using our RFID cards to swipe on everything they had. Make sure to spend time on the post-ride stuff, it's really fun.

Overall, it's Epcot's biggest attraction, so really really glad to see it reopen. It's thrilling and weird, didn't really do it for me but I'd have to ride more times on the ride itself to judge.

Has anyone had success viewing their post ride "commercial" at home? I really enjoyed that part of the post show, but the video that I emailed home doesn't seem to be working even though my Quicktime is up to date.

Loved the ride. Really like the indoor graphics and effects.

We attended the Test Track re-launch party a few days ago as part of the "New Fantasyland" media day. All I can say is WOW!!! Not only does Disney really know how to throw a party, the ride was FANTASTIC! Here's a mini-update and then I'll post the full thing later...

About the ride...

- I can see that someone would still "like" the old version (I do!), but after riding the new version, I can't believe anyone wouldn't think they did a GREAT job on it! Has to be the best "re-imagined" attraction I've seen Disney do to date.

- The "Design-a-car" aspect of it exceeded all my expectations. I thought it would be kind of cheesy, but it was so well done, really integrated in the ride, and so intuitive that even Kristen did the vwhole thing without our help. Well done!

- The ride feels really "NEW" again. The queue is just stunning when you walk in the door for the first time. I couldn't even believe there had been a ride there for 10+ years.

- For all those people who kept saying they needed to do something with the outside portion, I disagree. The outside portion of Test Track was and is still one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. It's certainly WAY better than the outside portion of Radiator Springs Racers (and don't get me wrong, I really like that ride!), so I'm not sure why the outside portion would have needed any enclosure or anything, except...

- My only *slight* negative was that there used to be audio during the outside portion (Push it! Push it! Push it!) and it seems weird that the outside portion is now totally quiet. But that's only a minor nitpick. The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Complete Ride POV Video:

Ok, onto a few pics....

Tonight we are at Epcot for the Test Track re-launch media party!

Walking up to Test Track, and WOW! You can really see this looks amazing!

Not sure if the laser sign on top is just for the party, but it looks GREAT!

Test Track is a party atmosphere tonight!

And Disney sure knows how to throw a party!

The whole party looks so "high tech", just like the new version of the ride!

And just like a Disney party, there is food and alcohol everywhere!

All the food was fantastic!

There were three different kinds of sliders, all amazing!

One Republic will be taking the stage later tonight at the Test Track Re-Launch party!

Even KidTums got a glowey drink! (Don't worry... It's just Sprite... We think! lol)

I'm a huge fan of Test Track and movies like Tron so I'm kinda geeking out right now!

Meg Crofton, President of Disney Resorts Operations said a few things about the new version of the attraction.

Alan Batey, VP of Sales at GM talked about the long standing relationship they have had with Epcot.

And finally, the real star of the show, Mickey Mouse came out to re-open the ride!

Test Track is officially RE-LAUNCHED!!!!

A crazy amount of confetti was used!

Here's a short video from the entire opening ceremony:

The lighting added to the outside part of the ride looked fantastic!

The new Test Track queue is totally changed and its AWESOME!!!

The queue features all these Chevy "Cars of the future."

It's crazy to see just how different the queue is! In a good way!

Hard to tell in photos, but they had these holographic images that were really impressive!

The effects in the queue are amazing. Multiple images are mapped into this car.

The queue has interactive elements to keep you busy while you wait!

More cool looking queue stuff....

These are the "design rooms" on the lower level, and it's all totally new!

With our RFID card in hand, we are about to go into Studio B to design our car!

KidTums is a future Chevrolet car designer!

Here is the car that KidTums designed. It's blue with butterfly's and flowers! lol

When you wait in the stand by line, you go in here and you have a few minutes to build your car. Part of the whole "interactivity" of the ride.

Yup, the queue is "NextGen" ready!

Proceed to the Sim Track!

KidTums taps the card to upload the vehicle she designed!

We are ready to ride!

Check out the new paint job on the Test Track cars!

They look REALLY good!

The new ride is REALLY different, and these pictures really don't do it justice.

One thing this new version has, that the old version didn't was "height." This is coming into the old ABS brake check area, and I felt myself constantly looking around at stuff. It's really cool!

Some people are staying that the "test track" theme is gone, but it really isn't.... You are still testing the car through weather conditions, seeing how it performs on tight turns, etc. The ride theme is really not that much different!

It just looks a LOT more futuristic now!

Here we are in our car of the future!

And I feel this "look" fits in more with Future World than the old Test Track did.

There are a few things you *might* remember from the old version of the ride!

They keep track of how well everyone's personal car they made does throughout the ride. This is actually a really cool element, and again, is part of the "test" that each car goes through.

Photos don't do the new version justice. These rooms are just so slick, high-tech looking and impressive. You really gotta ride it!

About to crash through the "barrier test!"

Here we go!!!!

If there was one minor nitpick I had about the new version is the lack of audio on the outside portion of the ride.

The outside section is still, hands down, one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. And the lighting at night is AWESOME!

KidTums approved!

Love the old "World of Motion" logos incorporated into all the signage!

At the end of the ride you tap your RFID card and you see how your car performed on the Test Track.

The interactive displays in the post-show area were all really cool looking!

There are still plenty of Chevy cars on display.

More interactive fun stuff to do...

Not all the games were open for us or working, so this will give us something to come back and do!

KidTums! You're not 16 yet!!!

LOL! Want a "Turkey Leg" air freshener for my car!

Remember KidTums - don't drink and drive!

There's One Republic! Now the party has really kicked into high gear!

Ok, so maybe KidTums isn't much of a One Republic fan!

Back out to the party checking out the dessert offerings!

OMG! They were making "Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream!"

Pick up a cone, get some ice cream, and a topping!

The girls chose plain old Vanilla!

We decided to give the FastPass and Single Rider line a try to see what that experience is like.

You still get an RFID card, and you still get to design a car...

But the design process is quicker, and a bit more scaled back for Single Rider and FastPass users.

At least you still get some options, which is cool....

but you don't get the full design studio, like in the stand-by, which makes sense, because the design studio is part of the longer version of the queue. It's so well integrated, that you don't actually notice that you're waiting in a line!

Another look at the loading area. The queue is SO much improved over the old version, I can't even say how awesome it is!

Some of the new merchandise!

OMG! ADAM!!!! It's a new trash can AND it has classic Epcot on it! You must be in Epcot fanboy heaven right now!

KidTums approves the new Test Track!

The ride is a HUGE improvement! It's not that far of a departure from the original concept. New Test Track is a WIN!

All I can say is WOW! They did an AWESOME job on the new version! Once you've been on the new version, especially with how amazing the queue is laid out, and how cool the "design your car" part of the interactivity is, I can't imagine how people would say they like the old version "better." I can understand people still liking the old version (I do!), but this new version is also FANTASTIC! One of the best "re-imagined" Disney attractions they've done to date!

Now.... POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Edited by robbalvey

Anything with more Tron is automatically better. ("Auto" matically.) I'm avoiding as much on-ride stuff as possible to keep it relatively spoiler-free (should the Disney Gods finally ever allow me to ride Test Track), but the new exterior, all the interior elements, and what I've see of the ride itself, wow, beautiful. The Shanghai lightcycle coaster is going to completely pwn.

Who the hell are "One Republic?" Are they related to "One Direction?" #OldPeopleQuestions