TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

The main problem I have this version is the jarring transition from indoor to outdoor. You go from these cool rooms surrounded with very futuristic looking effects to driving over old buildings and whatnot. I just wish they would have done more to keep up the futuristic/digital feel. Other than that I have no real complaints. It definitely has some great effects in it, and I love the idea of designing your own car and testing it against other peoples.

The main problem I have this version is the jarring transition from indoor to outdoor. You go from these cool rooms surrounded with very futuristic looking effects to driving over old buildings and whatnot. I just wish they would have done more to keep up the futuristic/digital feel.

I'm sure that that futuristic feel would be in full force as night falls. Upgraded lighting does wonders.

I think it looks really good overall. Much better than I expected.

Agreed. My thoughts exactly. I had already accepted the fact that "old Test Track" was totally gone, and I was setting my expectations REALLY low... like Journey Into Imagination low. But this looks MUCH better than that!

I've been on the old ride more times than I'd like to admit, and I guess you can say it was kind of "dear" to me, but at the same time, it really was starting to look dated.

I think I'm willing to give this version a "chance" at least... and I'm not hating what I'm seeing in the video.

The comments on this video are horrible! Everyone is like, "OLD Test Track is better!!!!1!" I like this version a lot more than the old one, the original was just very predictable and was just like ho hum this is a car test. I feel like the old one didn't have anything cool or surprising, it was just very literal. But this version I really love! And I'm just glad I won't feel like I'm in the 90's when I ride it anymore!

I think it looks way cooler, but it seem way more impersonal... besides the fact that a car you designed is up on a screen.

The original was pretty corny, but i think it had a more involved feeling to it. This really has a sorta Rocket Rods vibe to it I think, just kinda zipping around with neat things to look at. I guess what little dialogue there is, it's better than the bleeps and bloops or Rocket Rods.

Connecting to... OnStar

The comments on this video are horrible! Everyone is like, "OLD Test Track is better!!!!1!" I like this version a lot more than the old one, the original was just very predictable and was just like ho hum this is a car test. I feel like the old one didn't have anything cool or surprising, it was just very literal. But this version I really love! And I'm just glad I won't feel like I'm in the 90's when I ride it anymore!

I imagine there were similar complaints when Test Track replaced World of Motion.

That was so cool, and something that deserves to be in Epcot! It is just... Amazing.

I don't understand the negative feedback on the video. The old Test Track, while fun, had this giant warehouse vibe. It felt empty. Like it was missing something. Now, it's a bonafide E-Ticket and extremely beautiful in the interior. The projections and scenes are stunning. I can't comment on the whole experience, but I'm sure I'll be even more amazed once I ride it in person.

The original was pretty corny, but i think it had a more involved feeling to it.

The video makes it seem like there's a lot of driving around and getting PA announcements about the tests that are being done on your car (especially in the first half of the ride), so I share that concern. Using the old hot/cold rooms as an example -- yes, dated as they were (especially in design), that was something you could feel. I'm sure there's probably more interaction than what was just evident in the video, though. I want to feel like I'm in a car being tested, not just be told about it by a pleasant, detached announcer.

The visuals are outstanding. The tunnel effect at the launch and the lightning bolt stood out.

I love the new version of Test Track. It's certainly better than the old one which felt too stuck-in-the-mid-90's. Now it feels more up-to-date and fitting with the theming of "Future World" at EPCOT. I don't really see why everyone on the FB/YT pages are bashing this so hard as it has all of the same "Test Car" elements that the old version had but it's more up-to-date. If they randomly had Eric Idle slapped into the ride, then I would see a reason to complain.

I actually really do like what they've done. Its not perfect, but its a much welcomed refresh for a clearly aged ride. This as a whole does feel much more "Epcot" to me.

However, I still think the ending is one of the most disappointing things in any Disney Park. There's no "falling action" at all. You go fast, then the ride ends abruptly. That alone makes me prefer RSR which feels much more complete in the ending.

I think it looks way cooler, but it seem way more impersonal... besides the fact that a car you designed is up on a screen.

The original was pretty corny, but i think it had a more involved feeling to it.

Yeah, that's exactly my viewpoint on this. For each test there were a lot of good cues that supported each test, whereas on this it kinda just feels homogenous all the way though (the tron look), and those computerised voice overs feel a bit forced.

And it seems toned down, none of the 'fun' of driving over cobblestones, hitting the traffic cone in the ABS test, being able to wave at the thermal scan, going through the heat lamps, and the truck near miss seems a bit neutered (As does the scene which replaced the barrier test). Just feels a lot more passive than it used to.

Yes the effects are visually impressive, but you've gotta have context for these things IMO.

I will admit I am a big fan of hard industrial theming (Raptor at Gardaland is another example I love). I think its a bit unfair to call the old theming cheap. Yes it would no doubt be cheaper, but in terms of actually achieving the theme they set out to do it was perfect.

At the moment, I feel the same as when Dueling Dragons had its theming changed for Potter

All I have to say is that there's been nothing but positive comments from people that have ridden. Stop complaining and being a sourpuss.

Riding something before criticizing it is soooooo 2000-late. Watching a Youtube video and passing judgment is the way of the future.