TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I'm really conflicted about this. I really DO think that parts of the old Test Track felt "unfinished" or "dated" and I really want this to be a solution to some of those problems. That being said, I really did like the old Test Track, and I'm not against the change at all, I just really want the new version to be just as good and not a "Journey Into Imagination" huge step backwards.

I *like* the Tron-esque look, but I don't think I *love* it.

I'm indifferent to what happens in the queue as long as the ride experience is still fun...

I actually think the biggest change I'm looking forward to (or I should say hoping for) is the removal of those three pre-show rooms, which basically just served as a giant box in the middle of the queue that bottlenecked everyone. That always frustrated me about riding Test Track.

--Robb

I'm bummed I'm missing Test Track by one week, but this gives me new reason to go back soon and ride it then.

I'm liking the look of the new version, though I never checked out the first version other than POV's to really make a judgment on which version is better. Either way it's nice to see Disney wants to keep their popular rides popular and relevant.

I'm bummed I'm missing Test Track by one week, but this gives me new reason to go back soon and ride it then.

I'd expect soft openings, especially because it is Test Track, a ride known to have a lot of downtime.

Does it really have that much downtime lately? I mean, I know when it first opened it had LOADS of issues...for years. But I want to say that on our regular visits to the park, it doesn't go down that often anymore. At least not that I've noticed...

I wonder if they will get rid of the 3 room bottle neck. The press release talks about 3 different vehicles that guests can choose. It could be a different vehicle type for each room? You then get sent down a separate line and design your vehicle in one of the rooms?

Does anyone know what the budget is, are they adding a couple of new lights or are they shifting walls and queue line about as we'll?

Hopefully they keep the 'Hello! the seatbelt check is right round the corner!' Which I am sure has sent many a Cast Member mad.

I'm really conflicted about this. I really DO think that parts of the old Test Track felt "unfinished" or "dated" and I really want this to be a solution to some of those problems. That being said, I really did like the old Test Track, and I'm not against the change at all, I just really want the new version to be just as good and not a "Journey Into Imagination" huge step backwards.

I *like* the Tron-esque look, but I don't think I *love* it.

I'm indifferent to what happens in the queue as long as the ride experience is still fun...

I actually think the biggest change I'm looking forward to (or I should say hoping for) is the removal of those three pre-show rooms, which basically just served as a giant box in the middle of the queue that bottlenecked everyone. That always frustrated me about riding Test Track.

--Robb

Eh for me ... this all - and even Test Track vers. 1.0, lacks the heart and spirit of all the original EPCOT Center attractions. This one will get old after 2-3 rides just like the last version.

I'd expect soft openings, especially because it is Test Track, a ride known to have a lot of downtime.

Does it really have that much downtime lately? I mean, I know when it first opened it had LOADS of issues...for years. But I want to say that on our regular visits to the park, it doesn't go down that often anymore. At least not that I've noticed...

Maybe he's confusing it with Mach Tower.

I wonder if they will get rid of the 3 room bottle neck. The press release talks about 3 different vehicles that guests can choose. It could be a different vehicle type for each room? You then get sent down a separate line and design your vehicle in one of the rooms?

Does anyone know what the budget is, are they adding a couple of new lights or are they shifting walls and queue line about as we'll?

Hopefully they keep the 'Hello! the seatbelt check is right round the corner!' Which I am sure has sent many a Cast Member mad.

Obviously nobody knows 100% how this will work yet, but I think the experiences of every car on the track will be the same, maybe even 100% exactly to how it is now.

What it seems like though is at some point before getting on the ride (or maybe even just after getting on) you design a vehicle, then it's likely that while on the ride everyone will have a personal screen where they can see how their car scores scores as they go your each of the tests (everyone in the car obviously having the same physical experience).

The most confusing part is how they will know who designed what car before, during and after the ride, as handing out little cards or RFID things to everyone would be a huge hassle.

Maybe it could utilize the new RFID ticket and Fastpass system, but I'm not sure how wide spread that is quite yet.

Maybe he's confusing it with Mach Tower.

Ironically enough, I missed Mach Tower by a week or 2 when I visited BGW last summer for the first time. I wasn't too bummed about that one though, I've been on many drop towers and while they are fun, it's hard to make it a unique experience (except something like ToT).

I was hoping for soft openings but the grand opening is a little over 3 weeks out and it seems like they are still working, not sure they would be ready for a soft open in 2 weeks when I get there. Fingers crossed though!

Off topic, but I really like the concept artwork from "s. palk" (look for the signature) featured in the photos that Adam posted. .. It really has the old school, Disney, impressionist feel and beats the comic book style concept art we've seen in recent years.. Does anyone know anything about this artist?

I tried test track this time last year for the first time and loved it. For anyone that's been to a GM plant, a car really does go through the same series of tests as soon as it's driven off the line. The one element missing is the water test, which would be cool to add if the vehicle had a retractable roof or the entire experience turned into a water ride just before the acceleration test.

Other than the queue and vehicles, it seems like the spirit of test track will still be there, which is a good thing.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/starbucks-locations-at-magic-kingdom-park-epcot-set-to-open-next-year/

As we announced earlier this year, six Starbucks locations are planned at Disney Parks in Florida and California. In June, the first Starbucks location opened at Disney California Adventure park in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café and is already a guest favorite.

Today, we’re excited to share that the first two Walt Disney World Resort locations will open next year, one at Magic Kingdom Park and one at Epcot.

At Magic Kingdom Park, Main Street Bakery will close for refurbishment in January 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in early summer. At Epcot, Fountain View will close in March 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in midsummer.

Both locations will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Magic Kingdom Park, for example, cast members will wear a costume consistent with the early 20th century look and feel of Main Street, U.S.A. At Future World in Epcot, the new Starbucks location and cast member costumes will be designed to match the park’s futuristic theme.

The Starbucks locations at Magic Kingdom Park and Epcot will both offer the full complement of Starbucks® signature beverages, artisan breakfast sandwiches and a wide selection of baked goods, including muffins, scones and specialty treats.

More Starbucks locations are coming to Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland park soon. We’ll be sure to keep you posted!

See, that is exactly why I am against replacing Main Street Bakery. It did just fine before. Sure, they'll make the theme work with everything. But I feel as if Main Street Bakery easily supported itself and always had long lines at the end of the day. Writer's Shop in Hollywood Studios, this location in Epcot, and I'm sure one in Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney seems good to me. But at the end of the day, it isn't really a huge deal.

I hope they can improve the service---the one at DCA does such a high volume, my friend had to wait 30 minutes for her drink!

From the time she placed her order or got in line? I don't think I would wait 30 minutes ever to get a drink.