TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

This has become a great thread with interesting comments from both sides (with Rastus making up seemingly one side on his own).

I don't know, you seemed to agree with about everything I said. This thread is MUCH different than I'm seeing on other forums. It is by far the most pro change forum. I, like apparently you, can see that it will greatly impact my visits negatively. One good thing is I rarely have eating ressies, except for the rare times I stay on site. trying to get FPs around dinner reservations will be very difficult. Imagine walking for 20 minutes over to the Mansion, only to discover the FPs are currently during your dinner. they'll need FP time signs all over.

I just see many situations where the new system will decrease the number of E ticket rides you get. And losing just one is quite a bit. It doesn't surprise me Robb doesn't care. He lives in Orlando, and won't be spending too many full days at the park. For someone on vacation, to lose one or two E tickets because the times didn't work, or you got sidetracked, really blows, and is VERY un-Disney. Which is why I ultimately see this being changed to something more like a 2 hour grace period. Disney will never change a magic moment of a CM letting you on Tower with old FPs for your final ride into a big FU, your nights over, get on the bus.

And you know damn good and well they wouldn't turn a Brazilian group away. Another reason I see this being toned down some.

-RO

Brazilian groups annoying as they can be come on time in fact they actually wait by the fastpass sign for there time. I'm trying to understand why you think it's ok to come back hours after your fastpass has expired. The design is to grab a fastpass for one attraction and go ride others or grab something to eat then come back and ride that ride. One can easily grab a fastpass for space mountain and go ride buzz, peoplemover, and probably catch a monsters show or carousel of progess show and still get to space mountain in that hour time frame.

Trying to get FPs around dinner reservations will be very difficult. Imagine walking for 20 minutes over to the Mansion, only to discover the FPs are currently during your dinner. they'll need FP time signs all over.

Or, and here's a crazy idea - you pass up the Fastpasses because they're during your dinner reservation and that's how the rules work.

Psh. Who actually makes reservations for dinner at the parks anyway?

A pint of milk, a canister of Mickey puffy cheese crackers, and a Minnie's bake shop cookie for me!

Trying to get FPs around dinner reservations will be very difficult. Imagine walking for 20 minutes over to the Mansion, only to discover the FPs are currently during your dinner. they'll need FP time signs all over.

Or, and here's a crazy idea - you pass up the Fastpasses because they're during your dinner reservation and that's how the rules work.

Spoken like someone who has never had a ressie. They charge you if you miss. I'm amazed people think A Disney trip should be full of "tough shit" moments.

Really?

-RO

^First, it's called a reservation. Second, I just planned an entire trip around two character breakfasts AND a day at the park for my boyfriend's mom around a 4:05pm dinner reservation. She didn't have a single problem, and neither did we.

I don't think you read what I said:

...you pass up the Fastpasses because they're during your dinner reservation...

Being charged for missing your reservation is completely unimportant, because there is no charge for missing your Fastpass window. Either don't get the Fastpass, or miss your time because you chose to get a pass for a time where you knew you wouldn't be available to ride a ride. It's so simple.

^^

I'm amaized that you can't get over the fact that you have to follow the rules. Everytime you have a dinner reservation you just don't pick up a FP around then. How difficult is that to comprehend? Ever think that the reason they have to enforce their policy more stricktly is because people like you are abusing it?

What a few guests (one's I presume abuse the loop holes offered at disney such as FP) don't seem to grasp is that although they are paying a lot of money to come to our parks it doesn't mean that the whole park revolves around them. 30-40k also paid for the same rights and because they want to abuse the system it worsens someone else's experience.

I think the above sums this up perfectly, from the DisBoard Forums

Fastpass, Fastpass, Fastpass...way back in the late 1990's, my former girlfriend and I stood in a 60 minute line for TOT. There were no Fastpasses. We just waited with everyone else. So no Fastpasses stopped anyone from visiting WDW.

Also, back then, we had to go up the hill both ways for 10 miles in the snow to get to WDW. We had to pay for our visit in sea shells and bottle caps. BTMRR had no lapbars and kids were flying out of the coaster this way and that. And we liked it, we loved it!

How is doing what CMs are told to allow, abusing the system?

The people that abused a system were those getting GAPs. Those were totally changed , but then the rules softened I believe. I think the same will happen here. I always love how the Internet is full of people that always follow every rule to a Tee. Funny I rarely run into these people in real life.

-RO

This thread is MUCH different than I'm seeing on other forums. It is by far the most pro change forum.

That's because our group is filled with intelligent, sensible people. This is what makes TPR different from all of those other boards.

The only valid argument I see here against the change is that some people might miss a fast pass time due to a fault by Disney (slow restaurant service, ride breakdown, incorrect queue time). If any of those things happen to a guest and they don't get consideration from front line cast members then all they have to do is walk over to guest services and they'll get on the ride. Case closed.

They implemented the whole 'we don't care about the ending time' policy because it was viewed as not possible/worth it to actively codify a system of exceptions to the ending time. It was far too subjective & dependent on what greeter you got at what ride. 10 years later, they can try taking another stab at doing that, but I won't be surprised if they wind up simply realizing why the call to drop the enforcement was made then, and go right back to that policy.

How is doing what CMs are told to allow, abusing the system?

I'm sure CM's are supposed to follow the directions listed on the ticket (come back at the posted return time, or wait in line like everyone else). If you can't follow directions/have a backup plan, then don't use the system.

I always love how the Internet is full of people that always follow every rule to a Tee. Funny I rarely run into these people in real life.

If more people followed directions, the world would be a much better place.

I always love how the Internet is full of people that always follow every rule to a Tee. Funny I rarely run into these people in real life.

Much the same way I'm always amused at the abundance of "f the establishment" characters who feel the world should bend to their needs and desires? I suppose we could ride this never-ending carousel forever.

To each his own. I'll just continue on my merry way of following the world's printed rules. It's all good. Hopefully those who feel scorned by Disney will visit Universal instead.....and lighten the crowd for me.

Scott "Done." B.

Much the same way I'm always amused at the abundance of "f the establishment" characters who feel the world should bend to their needs and desires? I suppose we could ride this never-ending carousel forever.

To each his own. I'll just continue on my merry way of following the world's printed rules. It's all good. Hopefully those who feel scorned by Disney will visit Universal instead.....and lighten the crowd for me.

Scott "Done." B.

Yuuup.

Even those of us who go around the system still end up following the rules: Even though I use the Handicrapped facilities at a park, I still have to use the same rules as everyone else. Usually this means getting a time to return, and then waiting like everyone else does- the difference is that I can sit down in between. What -really- pisses me off though are the ones who use this same system (much like the FastPass inobservant!) to basically not have to wait for a particular ride/show/attraction. On my last trip to Disney, it was astounding to me the number of families who had 'children who were learning disadvantaged' who needed to use the handicrapped lanes because "their child has ADD."

BULL$&%T.

I know how long it takes me to get around- I don't move all that quickly. But these mental geinuses are the same ones who hoard fastpasses like they're free, and then are the same ones who's child with ADD can't stand in a line. Give me a break. Unfortunately, the 'ADD' children will soon be flooding the handicrapped lines due to the 'enforcement' rules I'm afraid- and clogging things up the wazoo.

People need to sit down, be more patient, and not try to work the system so they don't have to. In the end, everyone will be happier, the rides will move people quickly, and make things easier on us all.

I, like apparently you, can see that it will greatly impact my visits negatively.

I know this thread will head to a discussion of social class soon, because hey, let's be honest - this is all about Disney providing something extra at the deluxe resorts, where frankly it provided nothing precious little above and beyond its budget resorts as far as perks go. And I can afford those deluxe resorts, and I have paid for those deluxe resorts in the past. I get where there are those who see this as something that is exciting and interesting to talk about on the internet as a "industry observer," either professionally or amateur. And that's fine, really, especially if you get paid to do it.

As someone who just goes to Disney World on vacation from some distance away because I like rides, does this change benefit me? Not really. I really, really don't like the idea of needing to reserve a ride time months in advance like I'm eating at a Michelin starred restaurant, even if staying further upscale in an official resort nets me more of those opportunities. The dining reservations thing was a pain to begin with once the dining plans came into effect (another Disney innovation that the merits of which can be argued for an eternity), but doing that with rides is just too regimented for my taste. For me, the Q-Bot system is ideal, where as this is...not so much.

I can seem the me of 3 years from now constantly referring to my smart phone to see what the available Fastpass times are at any given ride while I juggle it in my mind with my dinner reservation at a different park that has better food (i.e. Epcot or Studios vs. MK and AK). At the same time, I'm thinking about transportation time between the two, and the reservation I set up at -fill in the blank ride- for 2 hours from now that I made 6 months ago, only knowing now that its about to rain cats and dogs and probably close it for the rest of the day. Tough luck? Maybe. But the abject lack of flexibility is a killer to me.

I personally think people are waaaaay over-reacting. If there is one thing I'm sure of, Disney is not going to to do something that doesn't work, or detracts from the guest experience.

I feel that many of you are freaking out without any data to back up any of your arguments. I put full trust in Disney that they know what they are doing, and if for whatever reason, the change is an epic fail, they will fix it.

At this point, I see no reason for this argument to continue until we actually see the changes in place and have something to discuss about it.

So let's wait until then to continue this debate.

Thank you.

--Robb

What Disney needs to do is change how they do Fast Passes. Instead of having one option and one option only you should be able to make reservations as you would at a restaurant or show. With the new touch screen technology out Disney could easily give you a list of times you can come back instead of giving you a set in stone time. This would get rid of basically all problems Disney has with it's Fast Pass system. If you have lunch at 1 you would book your Fast Pass after or before. Of course then Disney would have to work out how to limit the amount of Fast Passes people can get. Maybe one every 2 hours?

I just see many situations where the new system will decrease the number of E ticket rides you get.

Since the capacity of the rides don't change, if they continue to allow you to show up late so you can get that extra E-ticket ride, who is losing out on a ride? The guest that follows the rules that's who.

I for one would be happy if all the people that complain about enforcement of the rules don't go to the park any more. It will make the park that much more enjoyable for the rest of us.

It's funny. I've never had a problem returning within the posted times on my fastpasses, and I've also never had a problem getting on all the rides I want by taking advantage of the "You can get another fastpass at X time" rule that they established.

I don't know about everyone else, but if you can't get to a ride when you have a full hour of a time window (and think about it, you really only ever get about 14-16 total hours in the parks on a given day), then that's your fault not Disney's. Heck, I had three days to cover the entirety of WDW the week after Christmas, and I still managed to get on every single ride I wanted to apart from Nemo at Epcot, while obeying all the fastpass rules. I really don't see the issue at all.

If you happen to be stuck in a long line and your fastpass expires, that's your fault. You took a gamble, and it didn't pay off. There's no faulting Disney for that.

This thread is MUCH different than I'm seeing on other forums. It is by far the most pro change forum.

That's because our group is filled with intelligent, sensible people. This is what makes TPR different from all of those other boards.

The only valid argument I see here against the change is that some people might miss a fast pass time due to a fault by Disney (slow restaurant service, ride breakdown, incorrect queue time). If any of those things happen to a guest and they don't get consideration from front line cast members then all they have to do is walk over to guest services and they'll get on the ride. Case closed.

This actually made me laugh out loud and spit Coke on my monitor. Not the "intelligent, sensible" part, but the "walk over to guest services" piece.

In all my years of going to WDW, I've never gotten anything accomplished for major issues using guest services. If and when this actually takes affect, people will try to use every excuse in the book, including reservations. What do we get when we sit there for 45 minutes waiting for a dining reservation we made 6 months ago? I've been stuck on rides for over 2 hours and had cast members gruffly tell me to go to guest services. When I got to guest services, I couldn't even get 1 fast pass out of them for the last 2 hours they killed.

I think I'll play my day to sit on the benches outside guest services and watch the anger and venom of people exiting the building.